Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/5/2018 2:08:08 PM EDT
My Shockwaves w/the S&J +1 extension will barely hold 6+1 rds of std star-crimped 2.75".
However, I've picked up a quantity of the S&B 2.75" 9-pellet 00 & 12-pellet #1 buck loads for HD (currently #1 buck in the bedroom Shockwave to reduce the chances of overpenetration). I like the recoil impulse, the price (especially the price!) and the shot pattern. However, due to the roll crimp, I can only fit 5+1 in my Shockwaves.

I'm thinking of picking up some 12-pellet 2.75" 00 for 'just in case' max interpersonal conflict resolution situations and have narrowed my choices to these two:
The S&B 12-pellet 00, only 5+1 but also only $.35/rd.
The Federal 12-pellet 00, gives me 6+1 but costs $.68/rd (nearly twice as much).

Yes, I've fired 2.75" 00 magnum out of my Shockwaves and don't find it unpleasant (slower to get back on target, though), but want a supply of the most powerful buck loads I can handle effectively.

So, the question is go cheap and 5+1 or spend double and get 6+1?

Tomac

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 2:43:32 PM EDT
[#1]
At HD ranges, which I would put at about 30 feet most shot shells aren't going to be able to open up their patterns very much anyway. Though I would worry about 00 over-penetrating interior walls.
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 5:07:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/5/2018 9:19:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Federal reduced recoil with flite control is the correct answer here. I like #1 buck but 00 is good too.
Cheap buckshot is good to gofor training and blasting pumpkins and watermelons but I think too much of my family to scrimp on ammo for serious crisis resolution.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 11:52:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
At HD ranges, which I would put at about 30 feet most shot shells aren't going to be able to open up their patterns very much anyway. Though I would worry about 00 over-penetrating interior walls.
View Quote
Last time I shot 00 at 21 feet it made a nice sub-3" group (not counting the wad impact.)  I can't see it spreading too much more in another 9 feet.
Link Posted: 8/7/2018 12:07:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Mine is loaded with aguilla mini shot shells.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top