Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/28/2020 10:24:19 PM EDT
So Mossberg released this new shotgun the 940JM pro to compete against the beretta 1301’s, Remington V3’s and versa Max’s, and Benelli’s to name a few. What do you experts on the forum think of the new 940 and it’s system ? Do you think it can take the abuse of high amounts of rounds? Can you see anything wrong with the 940 operating system ?
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 10:43:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Time will tell...The original 930 that came to market had several “cost saving” feature that the prototype guns did not have and some of these (lack of a chrome plating in parts of the gas system for example) caused some issues.

Action designs that release the shell from the magazine when the action opens (Mossberg, 1100, SLP) generally have more cycling issues when an extended magazine tube is added vs an actions that release the shell when the hammer falls (Benelli, Beretta).
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 10:53:30 PM EDT
[#2]
From all the bad stories I hear I'd go with a beretta. That said I have a 930 that has been 100% with 3 or 4,000 rounds cleaned 4 times.
Link Posted: 1/28/2020 10:58:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Seems like a 930 with the OR3Gun parts added to it.  Maybe they will run alright straight out of the box now.  

Mine 930 runs fine tbh but I know they catch a lot of flack.
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 9:15:07 AM EDT
[#4]
OR3Gun???
Link Posted: 1/29/2020 9:48:48 AM EDT
[#5]
OR3Gun makes upgraded parts for the 930 series that make the gas system much more reliable and also greatly reduces the build up of moisture in the system. There were issues in humid states and conditions where the internals were rusting due to trapped moisture.

I love my 930 for what its worth.
Link Posted: 1/31/2020 12:32:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Buhler...
Link Posted: 2/1/2020 11:54:08 AM EDT
[#7]
It’s brand new. It’s going to be a few months until the real world production reviews are out.

The 930 was so hit or miss that it is going to be a significant hurdle for Mossberg to overcome.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 12:24:48 PM EDT
[#8]
I am a focus group of one, so take this for what it's worth. This is only one person's experience with one 930.

My buddy has a 930 Tactical, I really like it, and have shot it. He leaves the gun loaded for home defense. We got together for informal blasting and just fooling around. The first time, the gun wouldn't feed from the magazine. Nothing we could do at the time, could get it to run. I took it home and stripped it down and lubed it. There was nothing I could find wrong it. After reassemble it ran fine. I looked at the Oregun site, and there was no rust or corrosion, like they had problems with.

The second time, about a year later, we were having another get together, and this time it would not fire. Click, but no bang. This time it would feed from the magazine, but it would not fire this time. The first time it would fire every time, just not feed, now, it would feed, but not fire. I took it home, pulled it all apart. The firing pin was NOT stuck, the hammer WAS working fine. Cleaned it up, lubed it and it worked fine. It worked again for me after assembly. I stripped and cleaned it and gave it back. This is the only 930 I have any experience with.

I wanted a new shotgun for the house, I really wanted a 930, but I could not take the chance that it may CLICK, when I needed a BOOM. I bought a Beretta 1301 Tactical Gen-2. It cost more, but I could find no reported problems after I researched it. So far no problems with the Beretta. If I have any, I will report it here.

Mobjack
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 1:03:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am a focus group of one, so take this for what it's worth. This is only one person's experience with one 930.

My buddy has a 930 Tactical, I really like it, and have shot it. He leaves the gun loaded for home defense. We got together for informal blasting and just fooling around. The first time, the gun wouldn't feed from the magazine. Nothing we could do at the time, could get it to run. I took it home and stripped it down and lubed it. There was nothing I could find wrong it. After reassemble it ran fine. I looked at the Oregun site, and there was no rust or corrosion, like they had problems with.

The second time, about a year later, we were having another get together, and this time it would not fire. Click, but no bang. This time it would feed from the magazine, but it would not fire this time. The first time it would fire every time, just not feed, now, it would feed, but not fire. I took it home, pulled it all apart. The firing pin was NOT stuck, the hammer WAS working fine. Cleaned it up, lubed it and it worked fine. It worked again for me after assembly. I stripped and cleaned it and gave it back. This is the only 930 I have any experience with.

I wanted a new shotgun for the house, I really wanted a 930, but I could not take the chance that it may CLICK, when I needed a BOOM. I bought a Beretta 1301 Tactical Gen-2. It cost more, but I could find no reported problems after I researched it. So far no problems with the Beretta. If I have any, I will report it here.

Mobjack
View Quote
We're trying to talk about 940s here.  

I'll admit that 930s are known to have more failures.

Im a mossberg 500/590 fan but wanted a cheap semi auto with wood for general blasting.  So I bought a cheap 930 field model and cut it down.  A couple of friends enjoyed shooting it so they got their own. Friend 1 bought a 2nd hand 930 with the SPX barrel and a field barrel.  2nd friend bought a NIB JM Pro.  We typically shoot a few hundred rounds here and there.  Of those three the only one we've had issues with is mine not wanting to cycle Winchester white box, which is known shit ammo.  I also didn't touch the gas ports which I had already assumed could cause issues.  Its hard to trust it in a defensive role with all of the known issues with 930s in general but Ive got a good 2k rounds through mine with minimal issue, really just ammo specific.  For a no shit defensive shotgun I would probably grab a 590 to be honest.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top