Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/23/2017 6:42:02 PM EDT
I bought a Mossberg 590DA1 in an auction.  What can you guys tell me about it?  The internet seems to have very little info other than the obvious stuff describing the trigger pull as replicating a double action revolver.

Are all parts other than the trigger group the same as the regular 500 series guns?  Is the receiver or bolt machined differently in any way?

The manual states that the double action trigger pack is not interchangeable with a standard trigger pack.  Why?  What is different about the receiver?  Can the DA metal trigger guard have individual parts swapped into it to convert it to a regular trigger pull?
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 5:20:53 AM EDT
[#1]
I can't recall ever even hearing of one of these.

Do you have a standard 590 to do a side by side comparison with?
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 8:00:17 AM EDT
[#2]
I have an old Mossy Armorers manual with info on the DA. I'll look for it tomorrow and post info if I find it
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 10:57:59 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't pick it up until next week but I do have another 590 to compare.

I was curious if the standard trigger group would fit but it looks like the trigger housing pin is in a farther back spot on the receiver.

I'm also worried if things like action bars, bolts and lifters are the same.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 4:41:32 PM EDT
[#4]
How can it be double action?
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 4:47:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How can it be double action?
View Quote
Some people don’t think it be like it is, but it do.

Yes, Mossberg came up with a double-action trigger group for their shotguns. They were marketed to LE. Never were very successful, for obvious reasons.
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 6:14:27 PM EDT
[#6]
The instructor for the Armorer class called the DA 590A1 a mechanical fix for a training issue...booger hook on the bang switch. Requested by a few big LE Agencies. I can't remember which Agencies
Link Posted: 12/24/2017 11:59:02 PM EDT
[#7]
It's up there with the Colt All American 2000, and the S&W Sigma in design and success. I hope you didn't pay over $100 for it because it sucks. I shot one back in the day at a range demo and it was awful. It was a law enforcement marketing gimmick back in the day to help prevent negligent discharges and to be used in conjunction with the dao only pistols on the market at the time.(which also sucked)

While I never disassembled the double action version you can see the obvious difference in the placement of both the trigger housing pin and the slide release. I imagine everything in that receiver is different from a standard 500.  While Mossbergs are very durable, spare parts are going to be difficult to find. In addition, side saddles and scope mounts that index off the trigger pin in the standard 500 will not fit this model. It is an orphan in the 500 world.
Link Posted: 12/25/2017 1:53:29 PM EDT
[#8]
I lkle mine. I just changed out the mag tube spring for a wolf plus power spring and a scattergun tech high viz follower. I actually prefer the 870 but im a lefty
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 7:26:32 PM EDT
[#9]
cbsaf,

I still haven't found my Armorers manual, but I found this 590DA1 owners manual:

590DA1 Owners Manual
Link Posted: 12/26/2017 10:59:04 PM EDT
[#10]
I picked it up today.  Comparing it with my shockwave, the only difference is the trigger group and the location of the trigger group retaining pin.  The bolt, slide, shell latches, ejectors and machining of the receiver are all the same.  The trigger isn't really bad, just different.  It is long but not excessively heavy and is very smooth.  It is one single stage.  The hammer is pre-cocked and the trigger pull only moves the hammer rearward a slight bit.

If parts ever dry up for the DA trigger group and something breaks the gun could be salvaged by adding another hole and installing a normal trigger group.
Link Posted: 1/3/2018 7:57:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Finally found the Armorer s manual:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 3:00:18 PM EDT
[#12]
I finally got around to posting a picture.  Other than the trigger group and location of the trigger group pin, the receiver will still take a regular trigger group.  All other parts are the same.  The trigger would be horrible on a bird gun but is easy to use with the ghost ring sights.

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top