Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/12/2018 7:47:08 PM EDT
Because of space constraints where I intend to carry a 590, I'm looking at side folders. I see several options (FAB Defense, ATI, Choate, Butler Creek, Tactical Mako).
Anybody have first hand experience with any of those or others I don't know about? If so I'd be happy to hear any good/bad/ugly.
I understand the comfort level of a real stock won't be there but I do need to shorten one shotgun and prefer to keep the barrel & tube full length.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 9:33:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm a fan of folding stocks but to me the location of the safety on top of the Mossberg receiver makes the ergonomics hokey for me. Maybe you could find a Maverick 88 with the trigger guard mounted safety and do your project but I'd go with an 870 in this case.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 11:19:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm a fan of folding stocks but to me the location of the safety on top of the Mossberg receiver makes the ergonomics hokey for me. Maybe you could find a Maverick 88 with the trigger guard mounted safety and do your project but I'd go with an 870 in this case.
View Quote
Thanks, I'm aware of that speedbump, but intend to use the 590 in spite of it.
Just hoping to avoid a poorly designed, or poorly made stock. Without having to try them all.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 11:31:53 AM EDT
[#3]
I just put a Shockwave Raptor grip on a 500 last week but I haven't gotten it to the range yet...Hoping that it works out
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 2:54:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Thanks, I'm aware of that speedbump, but intend to use the 590 in spite of it.
Just hoping to avoid a poorly designed, or poorly made stock. Without having to try them all.
View Quote
I like the Choate folders. Built sturdy with a solid lockup.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 2:55:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I just put a Shockwave Raptor grip on a 500 last week but I haven't gotten it to the range yet...Hoping that it works out
View Quote
You'll probably like it.
Link Posted: 5/14/2018 8:14:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Go with the Choate.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 12:09:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Good to know they don't wobble, I'll look close at the Choate.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 4:00:34 PM EDT
[#8]
What about some sort of stock that uses an AR buffer tube, then add a LAW folder?  Won't be cheap, but it is an option...

edit- after looking at it more closely, I don't know if this would actually work.  Nevermind.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 10:07:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What about some sort of stock that uses an AR buffer tube, then add a LAW folder?  Won't be cheap, but it is an option...

edit- after looking at it more closely, I don't know if this would actually work.  Nevermind.
View Quote
The Fab Defense version is something very similar (looking) to what you describe.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 2:31:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Another on the choate, however CDNN had butler creek side folders for around $40 a couple months back. Mostly the same design. I just don't like the finger groove grip.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 5:13:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Another on the choate, however CDNN had butler creek side folders for around $40 a couple months back. Mostly the same design. I just don't like the finger groove grip.
View Quote
That's a good deal. I like the Choate better but if the Butler Creek is on sale I'd try it.
Found it
https://www.cdnnsports.com/catalogsearch/result/?order=relevance&dir=desc&q=Mossberg+butler+creek
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 9:58:00 PM EDT
[#12]
At that price I'll just have to give it a try
Link Posted: 5/28/2018 1:40:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Why not a top folder?
Link Posted: 5/28/2018 9:35:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Why not a top folder?
View Quote
My number one reason is the Mossberg safety location. While ideally located for ambidextrous use with a traditional stock. It is less than marginal for folding stocks of any variety.
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 4:25:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I like the Choate folders. Built sturdy with a solid lockup.
View Quote
For shootability, is the sidefolder or the topfolder a better choice? I'm thinking of a car gun candidate, but it must fit into a pretty small space.
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 7:37:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

For shootability, is the sidefolder or the topfolder a better choice? I'm thinking of a car gun candidate, but it must fit into a pretty small space.
View Quote
For shootability the traditional fixed stock will be best. Either style of folding stock will suck in comparison. That said I believe the Choate sidefolder sucks the least. It's all a compromise for the smaller package.
Link Posted: 6/17/2018 8:25:54 PM EDT
[#17]
I like the choate but in general the  length of pull Of the foldable stocks are too long for a home defense gun.
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 1:20:41 AM EDT
[#18]
Ive got a Choate adjustable side folder on an 870,  no complaints.  I wouldnt hesitate to put one on a 590.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top