Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/30/2018 4:46:50 PM EDT
I'm on my 4th failed OEM magazine tube spring in three years for my 590 Mariner 20" 8+1 and need to source a better replacement, the OEM spring get's really short really fast when the tube is loaded to capacity and it's only good for 2 to 3 shots before pressure on the follower drops off to where it won't feed another round.

Anyone recommend a tried and true replacement that's drop in ready? I can't get a year out of the OEM spring, this has been my go to Goblin gun but we now have some real trust issues until this spring situation is remedied.

Thanks for any help guys, I really want to like this gun again but it's useless to leave the tube loaded with this happening all the time.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 6:01:40 PM EDT
[#1]
The answer to all gunspring questions is generally Wolff gunsprings, I bought one for my 590a1, works fine.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 7:37:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 7:46:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The answer to all gunspring questions is generally Wolff gunsprings, I bought one for my 590a1, works fine.
View Quote
Are you leaving your's loaded with the full 8 rounds, if so how long has it been in service?

~Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 7:51:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 7:58:49 PM EDT
[#5]
590 mag springs belong in the Bic pens they were stolen from, not in a “fighting shotgun”. It astounds me why Mossberg uses such a thin, weak spring in what is otherwise a solid foolproof shotgun.

Wolff is what replaced the spring in my almost 30 year old 500A, and it’s had shells in the tube(not the same ones, of course) since the day I brought it home in the early 90s.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 8:19:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Wolf.  Wilson probably sells an improved follower and it would come with a Wolf spring. Brownells sells them.

First thing I change out in every shotgun.  Not my Benelli, however.  It doesn't need a thang.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 8:35:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
590 mag springs belong in the Bic pens they were stolen from, not in a “fighting shotgun”. It astounds me why Mossberg uses such a thin, weak spring in what is otherwise a solid foolproof shotgun.

Wolff is what replaced the spring in my almost 30 year old 500A, and it’s had shells in the tube(not the same ones, of course) since the day I brought it home in the early 90s.
View Quote
Pretty much exactly my thoughts on an otherwise perfect HD shotgun that's useless with the stock spring. That's news to them though when I call their CS, never mind they sent me the last couple lol.

Ok THANKS guys! I'm gonna see about an improved follower and spring from Wolff and hope it lasts this time I'll check it every month for piece of mind.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 8:52:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 9:14:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I don't see the need for the improved follower but get that spring.
View Quote
Looking for one right now, did you have to cut or fit yours?

Don't see one at Brownell's, think this is what I'm looking for: https://www.ebay.com/itm/12ga-Extra-Power-Magazine-Spring-for-Mossberg-590-8-1-500-7-1-Models/121787218627
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 11:30:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 4:08:53 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks BB, I ordered the three pack ready to drop in direct from them I appreciate your help.
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 4:13:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Wolff
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 12:35:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Got the new Wolff springs in today, night and day difference big improvement! They were already cut and fitted for length and the ends were tapered, no issues loading a full 8 rounds in the tube.

If you own a 590 with the factory spring in it, this is the only way to go.
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 12:59:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 7:36:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Glad to hear it.
View Quote
Thanks again for schooling me on that, I got out to the range and ran a couple boxes through it before the storms hit here this afternoon and it runs 100% better I'm really glad to have that squared away. If I had a do over to day one when I bought that 590 I'd have replaced it immediately with the Wolff tube spring.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top