Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/25/2021 3:13:09 AM EDT
I’ve been on the hunt for one of these since I have several 500’s. Are they worth a dang or am I barking up the wrong tree?
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 8:27:55 AM EDT
[#1]
What's your experience with black powder?

Most people, myself included, start with a black powder revolver. It's enjoyable to shoot, there's no recoil, and it has lots of history to it.
From there BP shooters move into rifles. Usually traditional caplock or flintlock rifles.

Other BP shooters focus on hunting - modern in-lines for Deer Hunting.

Another aspect of BP is loading BP cartridges and shotgun shells.

Regarding the Mossberg 500 BP barrel, I don't think you want all that weight on a gun if you plan to hunt with it. You might start with a traditional rifle or inline rifle. Get a feel for it and see if it's still worth pursuing that hard to find Mossberg barrel.

Personally I prefer traditional over in-lines for shooting. They bring me (in my mind) closer to the origins of shooting.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:12:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I think the only purpose for it was so you could hunt during black powder season, if they allow modern BP guns in your area. Personally I'd just buy a BP gun.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 3:45:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 2:15:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What's your experience with black powder?

Most people, myself included, start with a black powder revolver. It's enjoyable to shoot, there's no recoil, and it has lots of history to it.
From there BP shooters move into rifles. Usually traditional caplock or flintlock rifles.

Other BP shooters focus on hunting - modern in-lines for Deer Hunting.

Another aspect of BP is loading BP cartridges and shotgun shells.

Regarding the Mossberg 500 BP barrel, I don't think you want all that weight on a gun if you plan to hunt with it. You might start with a traditional rifle or inline rifle. Get a feel for it and see if it's still worth pursuing that hard to find Mossberg barrel.

Personally I prefer traditional over in-lines for shooting. They bring me (in my mind) closer to the origins of shooting.
View Quote

Grew up on a thompson center encore. Mainly wanting the Mossberg barrel because I have a scope on the receiver for my slug barrel and want to use it for the muzzleloader as well to keep things simple. I'd rather rezero it twice a year than buy a whole new setup. Thank you!
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 7:07:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Biggest gripe is the loading rod is a bit flimsy.  After a couple shots of fouling it is really hard to load.
Only shot it on one range trip to zero it in years ago.  I have not shot it since.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top