Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/13/2021 9:25:47 PM EDT
Coffee table gunsmithing. My favorite.

Dragged this out of a scrapyard for pennies.

NEW HAVEN
MODEL 485 20 GA FULL CHOKE

No letter quantifier on the model number.

Stock is destroyed at the wrist. I've glued and clamped it. Will likely be adding some brass screws and maybe a long through-bolt to add some strength. Not sure Potterfield's all-thread trick will be enough, it will likely need some compression to keep everything tight.

A lot of surface rust, but parts seem to clean up easily. May need to cold blue everything afterwards.

Only missing part is the bolt assembly. I can find bolts for the 385, which appears to be identical, on eBay. Sellers want $75+, which is about what this gun is worth complete and in good condition.

Anyone have a lead on a bolt? I'd love to get this thing back to functional (though the stock may get a big sprinkle of ugly...), but trying not to invest far more than it could ever be worth.  

In the end, it's for fun. Couldn't beat the price.

Link Posted: 7/17/2021 9:20:09 AM EDT
[#1]
If you are not in a particular hurry and determined to keep it cheap, you can try watching Gunbusters in gunbroker, I believe they do destruction for PD’s, they strip the guns of all usable parts and sell the kits without receivers.

Bolt action shotguns receive little attention , the parts go for $25-30.

Crapshoot if you ever see your gun come up, but it costs nothing to look .

I check Sunday evenings for a few oddballs I have standing in the corner.

One day, maybe.

https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Keywords=gunbusters
Link Posted: 7/18/2021 9:12:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you are not in a particular hurry and determined to keep it cheap, you can try watching Gunbusters in gunbroker, I believe they do destruction for PD’s, they strip the guns of all usable parts and sell the kits without receivers.

Bolt action shotguns receive little attention , the parts go for $25-30.

Crapshoot if you ever see your gun come up, but it costs nothing to look .

I check Sunday evenings for a few oddballs I have standing in the corner.

One day, maybe.

https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Keywords=gunbusters
View Quote

Oh, wow. Bookmarked.

Thanks for the tip!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top