Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/15/2021 12:31:12 AM EDT
I have a Mosin with a laminated stock that is either a: very roughly cut inside or b:damaged

I'm trying to figure out if it's safe to shoot (I've shot it a fair amount, but I don't want to break anything)

I can't tell if this is "broken" bad or "Soviet Refurb" bad, but the tang area doesn't look too bad.
Attachment Attached File

Again, I can't tell if this is rot or if the Red Army employed drunken beavers.
Attachment Attached File

My big concern is that there's a crack running through the wood between the magazine cutout and the trigger cutout.  It's small but it runs all the way through.  
Attachment Attached File

Sorry for potato pics.  Any help y'all can provide is helpful. I just want to know if I need to have the stock repaired or replaced.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 1:27:47 PM EDT
[#1]
From what I can see in the pictures I would bet on the drunken beavers.

Most of it is clerance in those areas so it's finish really dont matter. The one wall that looks pretty bad looks to bed very close to the edge of the one of the joints in the lamination so it blew out partial durring fabrication. Kindof an issue with any laminated material.

If it is cracked between the laminations as long as it is the later version with the cross bolt in the wrist it should be ok, but may need repaired in the future if it gets worse.

Link Posted: 2/16/2021 1:32:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
From what I can see in the pictures I would bet on the drunken beavers.

Most of it is clerance in those areas so it's finish really dont matter. The one wall that looks pretty bad looks to bed very close to the edge of the one of the joints in the lamination so it blew out partial durring fabrication. Kindof an issue with any laminated material.

If it is cracked between the laminations as long as it is the later version with the cross bolt in the wrist it should be ok, but may need repaired in the future if it gets worse.

View Quote
Thanks!  It's the version with the wrist crossbolt.  I'll double check that the crack doesn't extend elsewhere into the stock, and if not I'll just acraglas it and see if that doesn't solve the problem.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 2:12:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, Laminated materials are really weak against forces pushing/pulling the layers apart. This is the reason they added the cross bolt in the wrist, the tang was wedging the stock apart and cracking the wrist along the laminated layers back in to the wrist. The cross bolt is essentially pulling the stock layers together so it can not split out. That also means if it is a full crack it should stop before it reaches the wrist/tang area. The recoil lug dose the same thing in front of the magazine area. So it is essentially mechanically trapped there unless one of those two features has issues.

I would check the fit of the magazine/receiver fit to the stock though. Unless it was a manufacturing defect, there is likely something causing outward force from inside the magazine well area of the stock.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 12:05:57 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah, Laminated materials are really weak against forces pushing/pulling the layers apart. This is the reason they added the cross bolt in the wrist, the tang was wedging the stock apart and cracking the wrist along the laminated layers back in to the wrist. The cross bolt is essentially pulling the stock layers together so it can not split out. That also means if it is a full crack it should stop before it reaches the wrist/tang area. The recoil lug dose the same thing in front of the magazine area. So it is essentially mechanically trapped there unless one of those two features has issues.

I would check the fit of the magazine/receiver fit to the stock though. Unless it was a manufacturing defect, there is likely something causing outward force from inside the magazine well area of the stock.
View Quote
I pulled the gun apart today, and sure enough the back corners of the magazine were rubbing and slightly wedging the stock apart.  

I relieved it a bit with a needle file, then spooched as much acraglas as I could up into the crack(s).  They were hairline, and did not continue as far back as the wrist crossbolt.  

I did the same with a crack on the upper hand guard that I could shine a light through.  

It's curing now, I'll post pics of my great success or horrible failure tomorrow.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top