Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/29/2020 5:31:45 AM EDT
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with mosin PU snipers? Wondering what kind of bullets they like?  Just got this one, I havent confidently traced its authenticity yet...

Finally got it to the range for an hour at 50 yards, shooting surplus ammo, and it seems to have some possibility of being decently accurate. Considering I was shooting from a crappy table, sitting on a stump with really no support. All I had to rest the rile on was my plate carrier... and the trigger doesn't help. Its  a long 4lb 8oz pull.

What I'm really interested in figuring out is the parallax of the scope. To get a full edge to edge picture on the scope you have to get really close, uncomfortably close... and it becomes a chinweld... The first group I wasn't very consistent on edge to edge clarity.

Ammo is just Russian 1980's surplus, I've got a ton of brass and .311 SMK's to reload in the future.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/29/2020 9:15:14 AM EDT
[#1]
46.5 IMR4895 174SMK
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 9:45:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
46.5 IMR4895 174SMK
View Quote

Dont have IMR 4895, but I do have 500 174 SMK's... will try them.
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 10:27:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 12:58:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Mine loves the Hungarian light ball.  Gong is a 36'' circle and 550yds away

https://vimeo.com/user111165115/review/401913954/9c516cbfb1

https://vimeo.com/user111165115/review/401914651/deb211c23a
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 6:41:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I hit 4 of 5 on a gong at 600 with a friend of mines sniper Mosin. It was batter than expected from a low powered optic.
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 8:12:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I never worried too much about eye relief when shooting mine. Even with my eye in the right spot the edges are kinda fuzzy anyway.
But to see if its a legit sniper check to see if the rifle S/N is engraved on the scope mount and if the scope S/N is stamped on the barrel shank. Looks like I see the scope SN in the 3rd picture. Those are two clues.
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 8:42:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Hard to beat the Sierra .311 dia 174 SMK

The Hornady .311 or .312 174gr HPBT has shot well too. 46.5 Varget.

With the light barrel they heat up fast so as long as you don't go crazy they are capable of shooting well 1-2min.

Factory... The PPU 180 FMJBT shoots pretty dam good.
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 9:44:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Nice PU, yours is a legit PU sniper made in 1943 by Izhevsk and refurbished and stored after WW2. It was exported from Russia by Tulsky and imported into the U.S. about 10 years ago or so. I have several similar rifles and they seem to like bullets in the 174 grain range. The "chin weld " on PU snipers is one of the achilles heels of the design in my opinion, there really isn't anything you can do to improve it short of adding a cheek rest.
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 11:28:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I never worried too much about eye relief when shooting mine. Even with my eye in the right spot the edges are kinda fuzzy anyway.
But to see if its a legit sniper check to see if the rifle S/N is engraved on the scope mount and if the scope S/N is stamped on the barrel shank. Looks like I see the scope SN in the 3rd picture. Those are two clues.
View Quote

It has an original Russian scope, from what was advertised, but its an arsenal refurb... the original scope serial number is crossed out.
Link Posted: 3/29/2020 11:35:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Nice PU, yours is a legit PU sniper made in 1943 by Izhevsk and refurbished and stored after WW2. It was exported from Russia by Tulsky and imported into the U.S. about 10 years ago or so. I have several similar rifles and they seem to like bullets in the 174 grain range. The "chin weld " on PU snipers is one of the achilles heels of the design in my opinion, there really isn't anything you can do to improve it short of adding a cheek rest.
View Quote

Thank you for the post...

One thing that made me question its authenticity... is someone mentioned that if the front sight isn't "centered" and off to the side it means its a rifle issued with a bayonet, which the snipers weren't issued.  The front site is slightly off center.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 12:06:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Thank you for the post...

One thing that made me question its authenticity... is someone mentioned that if the front sight isn't "centered" and off to the side it means its a rifle issued with a bayonet, which the snipers weren't issued.  The front site is slightly off center.
View Quote

The whole "front sight off center so it isn't a legit sniper" thing is complete B.S. Some clueless guy made a YouTube video about it and people believed him for some reason but there is no documentation that supports the claim. There are lots of reasons a Mosin front sight could be off center and its quite easy to move them back anyways.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 12:21:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The whole "front sight off center so it isn't a legit sniper" thing is complete B.S. Some clueless guy made a YouTube video about it and people believed him for some reason but there is no documentation that supports the claim. There are lots of reasons a Mosin front sight could be off center and its quite easy to move them back anyways.
View Quote

Thanks! I spent a few hours trying to match marks and figure out serial numbers etc... to figure out if it was legit... but it proved impossible. Most websites are defunct or their pictures arent working.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 1:07:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Thanks! I spent a few hours trying to match marks and figure out serial numbers etc... to figure out if it was legit... but it proved impossible. Most websites are defunct or their pictures arent working.
View Quote

That's a unfortunate side effect of how many of these rifles are being faked currently. Those sites were being used by the fakers to make their fakes look more correct so most Mosin related sites have taken down their guides on sniper rifles. You got a good one though so no worries.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 1:33:59 AM EDT
[#14]
I'll try to get better pictures, the cut in the stock around the mount was my only other worry. I've read the ones with the crappier cuts were generally a retrofit.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 10:17:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Shoots far better than mine.  Mine keyholes badly.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 10:27:19 AM EDT
[#16]
The windage adjustments on my scope are large for each hash. It’s a good shooter though.

I’ve used the PPU stuff mostly.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 4:44:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Stupid question but how does one tell real from fake?  I have one that I bought, from AIM IIRC, probably close to 8 years ago.  Looks refurbed since it's pretty much pristine.  I was surprised at the quality of the glass for the age.  I want to say that all the SN's match and the scope's SN is on the left side of the receiver as well.
Link Posted: 3/30/2020 6:15:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Stupid question but how does one tell real from fake?  I have one that I bought, from AIM IIRC, probably close to 8 years ago.  Looks refurbed since it's pretty much pristine.  I was surprised at the quality of the glass for the age.  I want to say that all the SN's match and the scope's SN is on the left side of the receiver as well.
View Quote

There are numerous signs, markings and such that help determine if your PU is legit or not, to many for a post without making it ridiculously long. Post some pictures of the rifle, scope and mount and the various markings and we can help you out. The presence of the scopes serial number on left side of the barrel is a sign of a legit Izhevsk made PU but fakes have been reported.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 11:09:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Some good ways I know of to spot a fake
1. If the scope covers strap goes through the hole in the scope mount
2. The screws on the adjustment knobs of the scope are flat, real scopes have screws with round heads
3. If the screws holding the mount to the reciever aren't staked
4. Rifle has a scalloped area on the left side of the reciever or if its a hex reciever. I remember reading they didn't use those since the scallop cut created less contact area for the mount.
5. If the scope mount appears to be a casting. Real ones are all machined
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 9:13:35 AM EDT
[#20]
If the scope mount or the rail on the side of the receiver is made of aluminum it’s probably a fake. There are some ex sniper rifles floating around that people did convert back into sniper configuration with original scopes and original mounts.
Link Posted: 4/8/2020 1:15:09 PM EDT
[#21]
This reminds me, i need to get my re snipering project finished.
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 6:08:01 PM EDT
[#22]
As to the awkward chin weld, I found a strap on cheek rest that worked well for the one I used to have. Looked goofy, but helped a lot with consistent sight picture.

That one liked 7N1 best, but grouped Bulgarian heavy ball nearly as well.

Have fun with that cool relic!

Link Posted: 4/9/2020 11:15:33 PM EDT
[#23]
If you are right handed and left eye dominant, you can roll your head over the top a little farther and use your left eye to look through the scope, and it works!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top