Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/10/2021 10:17:22 AM EDT
Not seeing any PU sniper available from dealers.  Have seen a few from individuals that were either repros , re-snipered, or just insanely expensive.   What are the repro and refurbished PU snipers going for on today’s market?
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 10:31:54 AM EDT
[#1]
I've browsed some of the discussions on Gunboards and apparently they are going for absolutely insane money now. Plus it can be a minefield with fakes and repro's abounding.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 10:47:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Lot's of fakes so make sure you are going into it with a good knowledge base. Century and others put together some really good looking fake snipers along with some decent new made scopes that came out of the Ukraine that people " resnipered" rifles with. When I worked at the LGS we ran through 50 or 60 crates of Mosins at their height and probably pulled 30 to 40 ex snipers out the lots.

I have not come across any real snipers lately but $2k + is not out of the question these days for a decent example.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 11:28:52 AM EDT
[#3]
I have one of the Ukrainian repros.  It was sold to me as a repro.  It's nice, in fact the only way to tell it's a repro is by checking the serial number on the scope.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 3:49:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Recently, on Gunboards, the knowledge base on snipers and ex-snipers  has been increased by a member from Russia clarifying many of the mysteries surrounding the manufacturing and assembly and maintenance. And, the refurb process.
This may help in buying a PU. Or, a PE or PEM.
Simplified - Rguns PU = good PU. Mostly.
Link Posted: 2/10/2021 7:55:22 PM EDT
[#5]
The most recent import of PU snipers was nearly a decade ago so you're unlikely to find any online dealers selling them anymore. Prices have shot up recently but repro and re-sniper'd  PU's can run between 6-800 now depending on whether the scope and mount are legit or repro's. Originals are over a grand easily now with some going for considerably more depending on year, manufacturer and import type.  As was mentioned above the current Mosin sniper rifle market is a minefield of misrepresented reproductions and outright fakes with legit examples intermixed so do a lot of research before spending money on one.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 2:05:58 AM EDT
[#6]
It really depends on luck.  Almost a year ago, I saw an auction that had several authentic refurbished PU snipers sell for around $700 or less (before auction fees and shipping).  Apparently, I'm stupid and I miss out on opportunities due to my stupidity.  But, I had a chance to buy several rifles at below market value.  I am surprised, somewhat, by current values.  I would say market price for an authentic refurb is around $1,200 right now.  I always thought the PU snipers were the best value, and still are, for authentic (although refurbished) WW2 sniper rifles.  Most of them aren't going  to be original matching.  But, some people have lucked into original matching, refurbed rifles.  Still, other WW2 era snipers are selling north of $3,000.  

As stated, prior to buying one, do some research so you will be able to identify what is a legitimate refurb, and what is a reproduction or re-sniper.  There are some sellers on Gunbroker who buy 91/30 rifles, remake them to resemble snipers, and list them on Gunbroker as authentic PU snipers. There are also sellers who are either uninformed, or who are lying, who list rifles as snipers, when those rifles were never snipers (easy way to tell is a pre 1942 dated rifle listed as a PU sniper).
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 4:30:15 PM EDT
[#7]
A good reference, with good pictures. Also, sections on ex-snipers and fake snipers.

https://russian-mosin-nagant.com/snipers_RGUNS.html
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 7:37:47 AM EDT
[#8]
The molot import snipers were legit last I knew of. I regret selling mine.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 10:00:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The molot import snipers were legit last I knew of. I regret selling mine.
View Quote

That was my understanding, when I bought mine from AIM.

Link Posted: 2/16/2021 10:36:01 AM EDT
[#10]
I bought a refurb from Navy Arms back in the day (1995 or 96), and as far as I know, it is a real one.
The only discrepancy I see is that the number on the left of the barrel shank was polished off, and not re-stamped.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 10:16:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I bought a refurb from Navy Arms back in the day (1995 or 96), and as far as I know, it is a real one.
The only discrepancy I see is that the number on the left of the barrel shank was polished off, and not re-stamped.
View Quote

Fairly common practice - https://www.gunboards.com/threads/1942-izhevsk-snipers-no-shank-number-ever.392606/
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 10:49:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Rguns had them for $800 in the late 2000’s and they lasted few yrs.
Then AimSurplus had some of them for $600 for Izzy and $700 for the Tula one’s.
They were legit sniper guns!!
I think Aimsurplus at point was selling x-grade snipers for low to mid $400’s cause some of the numbers were mismatch.
The good old days
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 10:47:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Rguns had them for $800 in the late 2000’s and they lasted few yrs.
Then AimSurplus had some of them for $600 for Izzy and $700 for the Tula one’s.
They were legit sniper guns!!
I think Aimsurplus at point was selling x-grade snipers for low to mid $400’s cause some of the numbers were mismatch.
The good old days
View Quote

The smell of cosmoline in the morning.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top