Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/19/2021 9:14:55 AM EDT
Good morning, folks.  Hope you are all doing well.  I have some interesting data to share with you today.

Review 6.50 - analysis of high fidelity test results for the CGS Hyperion K in the subsonic flow regime; subsonic 300 BLK ammunition was used in the test, fired from an 8-in barrel.

In the publications 6.45 and 6.46, you saw how silencers with low back pressure (the OSS HX-QD 762 and Surefire SOCOM762-RC2) performed in the subsonic flow regime, and how that performance was drastically different from that in the supersonic flow regime.

The Hyperion K also has low back pressure; lower than the Surefire but not as low as the OSS. Does its subsonic performance also suffer? I was a little surprised here. The Surefire definitely did better than the OSS with this... and the Hyperion K did better than both. Coaxial gains? I mean, probably. The subsonic performance of the Hyperion K is not stellar, to be clear. But, it's very anomalous for the low back pressure and size.

- Despite also having a very low PEW Science Omega parameter, the Hyperion K is still able to trap gas; its mechanism to reduce back pressure is generous bore and quick venting to annulus.

- The design of the Hyperion K is shown to maintain high flow rate through the silencer while normalizing peak amplitude.

As I say in the article, these three silencers, along with the Dead Air Sandman-S, continue to represent outliers in the .30 rifle silencer market.

Now... should you be seeking out this CGS silencer for dedicated subsonic 300 BLK use? In my opinion, it will get the job done in a pinch.

Thanks to CGS for trusting me to perform this work and always supporting my testing efforts, The Silencer Sound Standard, and the PEW Science mission.

I hope you folks find the data useful!

Check out pewscience.com for the Suppression Rating.

Here is a direct link to the reviews.

Here are the updated PEW Science Rankings.

CGS Hyperion K Subsonic 300 BLK Sound Test Results

50th article. That's wild.

Jay
PEW Science
Link Posted: 8/19/2021 9:36:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Thank you for doing all these tests.  For someone that is new to this I appreciate the work, it helps me figure somethings out.
Link Posted: 8/19/2021 9:42:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Good stuff. I'm looking forward to the full size Hyperion on subsonic .300 BLK data.
Link Posted: 8/19/2021 10:05:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks Jay, another informative review.    I can't wait for the Full Nelson review with subsonic,  mine is scary quiet to the ear.
Link Posted: 8/19/2021 10:39:10 AM EDT
[#4]
@Tool1075

Thanks again for sharing your love of labor.

It’s interesting how some suppressors have a larger gap between muzzle only and ear rating.  Do you have any theories on why this might be?
Link Posted: 8/19/2021 10:43:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thank you for doing all these tests.  For someone that is new to this I appreciate the work, it helps me figure somethings out.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

You are most welcome.  That warms my heart to hear, because that was the impetus to start PEW Science.

Quoted:
Good stuff. I'm looking forward to the full size Hyperion on subsonic .300 BLK data.

Thanks!  Yeah, me too!

Quoted:
Thanks Jay, another informative review.    I can't wait for the Full Nelson review with subsonic,  mine is scary quiet to the ear.

You are most welcome, sir.  And same.

Quoted:
@Tool1075

Thanks again for sharing your love of labor.

It’s interesting how some suppressors have a larger gap between muzzle only and ear rating.  Do you have any theories on why this might be?

For the love of the game. Sleep when I'm dead, etc. haha

It is extremely interesting to me, actually; one theory I have is that is related to mass flow rate and frequency.  

Jay
PEW Science
Link Posted: 8/19/2021 11:33:50 AM EDT
[#6]
Am I crazy? I could have sworn I once saw a similar review of the Nomad at subsonic velocities, but I can’t find it now.
Link Posted: 8/19/2021 11:44:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Am I crazy? I could have sworn I once saw a similar review of the Nomad at subsonic velocities, but I can’t find it now.
View Quote

No sir; I have not yet published data and analysis for Nomad series in the subsonic flow regime.

Jay
PEW Science
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top