Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2021 10:16:42 AM EDT
I see monocore fuel filters for sale frequently including on gunbroker but have yet to see a completed form 1 utilizing the one. A few form 4 companies make monocore based suppressors that are effective so what gives?

Do people stick with cones because they are known and understood?
Are all of these monos junk?
I have a seen some in stainless which should in theory hold up.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 10:51:54 AM EDT
[#1]
If we are speaking generically, yes, cones are generally better than monocores.

Plus, cones are easier for the form1 maker generally to deal with.

Now if we start talking specific use cases, or makers with the machines, tooling, and knowledge to create anything they want on their own then all bets are off.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 11:55:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Monocores are typically tailored to a specific purpose and, generally speaking, won't beat cones.
The mass produced ones, for the "solvent trap" market, aren't anything to right home about.
Can they work, sure. Can you make something better, absolutely.
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 12:14:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/20/2021 1:58:04 PM EDT
[#4]
I would be interested to know where you got a ti mono?
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 7:01:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 9:26:10 PM EDT
[#6]
So did you mill it yourself or ??

Must be nice to have such capabilities available that you can make snarky responses.

Not sure if it is atf fear or jock competitiveness but seems like people relish in not sharing info.

I mean if we are all trying to protect gun rights and advancing civilian silencer use it would seem counterproductive, but wtf do I know.

Link Posted: 4/22/2021 9:56:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Must be nice to have such capabilities available that you can make snarky responses.

Not sure if it is atf fear or jock competitiveness but seems like people relish in not sharing info.

I mean if we are all trying to protect gun rights and advancing civilian silencer use it would seem counterproductive, but wtf do I know.

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/22/2021 10:13:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 7:41:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:Not sure if it is atf fear or jock competitiveness but seems like people relish in not sharing info.
View Quote

I've been building my own silencers for well over a decade. It's taken countless hours and $$ worth of research, design, fabrication, and stamp costs. While I have no problem helping someone design something, I'm not going to just hand over all that knowledge. Especially if their not willing to do a bit of research themselves. Not saying this is you, OP, but I know it's how a lot of us feel.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 9:34:53 AM EDT
[#10]
This is why the liberals keep kicking us in the balls at the polls and everywhere else, because they stick together and get shit done. Meanwhile the conservatives are too busy infighting and being "self reliant" while our country is taken away.

Sorry if I came off a little salty but it is really frustrating and counterproductive to treat this shit like a secret and demand everyone recreate the wheel just cause you had to. It wastes peoples time in the name of feeding your own ego.

Link Posted: 4/23/2021 10:34:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
This is why the liberals keep kicking us in the balls at the polls and everywhere else, because they stick together and get shit done. Meanwhile the conservatives are too busy infighting and being "self reliant" while our country is taken away.

Sorry if I came off a little salty but it is really frustrating and counterproductive to treat this shit like a secret and demand everyone recreate the wheel just cause you had to. It wastes peoples time in the name of feeding your own ego.

View Quote

How about instead, you as the OP provide us with meaningful questions, that we can then give you direct meaningful answers.

Your basic, generic question got a basic, generic answer.

So what do you want to build?

What tools do you own?

What knowledge/skills do you possess?

Do you have the capability to make a monocore silencer?

This shit's a 2 way street and you're in a tech forum so you might want to stow the GD bullshit, especially aimed at the Mod - just sayin'
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 10:51:39 AM EDT
[#12]
You're not the first, and won't be the last, to want everything handed to them. I have no problems pointing you to very specific threads, patents, webpages, etc. However, I expect a little work on your end, more than just asking a question.

@SirRAM
Whining about not being spoonfed everything is a liberal rant and has nothing to do with non-liberal views. Also, not warranted in the tech forum.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 12:08:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 12:34:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Mono cores generally have several down sides.

First round pop was mentioned, although good monocores can mitigate that.

Depending on design and ammo they might require frequent tear down to prevent the core bonding to the tube. For cleaning a big long monocore  that might require a big ultrasonic tank or stainless-pin tumbler. Little cones work nicely with small cleaners. Finally, if damaged the entire core needs to be replaced, usually only by the OEM on commercial builds.  

For Form 1 a replaced monocore by an SOT is expensive. Cutting down tubes to repair tube damage means cutting down the monocore.  

Cones generally give more and cheaper options in design, maintenance, and repair and frankly are a natural fit for tubular geometry and build materials. For the home machinist screwing up a cut on a monocore scraps more material.  If your machining skills suck you will have more material left, less void volume, and a heavier, louder suppressor.  Cones let Form 1 designers mix materials down the stack for tough blast baffles, and lighter distal baffles. Cones are a better fit for tuning spacing, modular designs, machining progressive tapered bore apertures, adding off-bore flow or drainage paths, etc.

Link Posted: 4/23/2021 3:04:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 3:06:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

You asked a question, and he answered it.  You were clearly hoping that he would feed you a hot link so you could just click and buy your own, but he absolutely answered your question.  You then got all shitty. Following it up with a nice lecture to all of us is certainly cementing your standing here, keep it up.
View Quote

His answer may as well have been "from titanium ore", of course I was hoping that I would  get a more a link to a source or at least an explanation of how the ti rod was milled.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 3:12:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted: or at least an explanation of how the ti rod was milled.
View Quote

Just guessing here, but probably w/ a milling machine. CNC or otherwise...
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 3:22:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Mono cores generally have several down sides.

First round pop was mentioned, although good monocores can mitigate that.

Depending on design and ammo they might require frequent tear down to prevent the core bonding to the tube. For cleaning a big long monocore  that might require a big ultrasonic tank or stainless-pin tumbler. Little cones work nicely with small cleaners. Finally, if damaged the entire core needs to be replaced, usually only by the OEM on commercial builds.  

For Form 1 a replaced monocore by an SOT is expensive. Cutting down tubes to repair tube damage means cutting down the monocore.  

Cones generally give more and cheaper options in design, maintenance, and repair and frankly are a natural fit for tubular geometry and build materials. For the home machinist screwing up a cut on a monocore scraps more material.  If your machining skills suck you will have more material left, less void volume, and a heavier, louder suppressor.  Cones let Form 1 designers mix materials down the stack for tough blast baffles, and lighter distal baffles. Cones are a better fit for tuning spacing, modular designs, machining progressive tapered bore apertures, adding off-bore flow or drainage paths, etc.

View Quote

Thank you for this useful reply, I hadn't considered recoring.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 3:25:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The snark came purely from your end. I was gonna just ignore your question, but maybe my answer wasn’t completely clear.

“From a solid piece of Ti stock” meant that I didn’t buy it as a monocore that just needed the end drilled. It meant I started with a solid piece of stock and made my own. I think everybody else in the thread understood that.
View Quote

Oh come on now your response was akin to saying "at the store" to someone asking you where you got the beer you were drinking. At best it was a poor attempt at a dad joke.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 3:37:49 PM EDT
[#20]
I stand by my statement that the attitude being displayed by the majority responding is counterproductive and not in the interest of advancomh the community or sense thereof, the level of offense that many of you took to me saying that only proves the point.

To answer the questions I am trying to do research and gather options on building a couple of form 1 silencers and was trying to understand why I don't see people building monos. Somebody aaid they did and i wanted more info on how.

I have basic hand tools at home but my FIL owns a machine shop with an older cnc, presses and a lathe. They also have a friend who built boilers in the navy and is a skilled welder. I am doing the research and planned to build one for him, one for my future son-in-law and one for me, basically a 3 generation group project
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 3:55:29 PM EDT
[#21]
As soon as you mentioned fuel filters you got the Gumby-stink on you, LOL.

The Form 1 suppressor world has benefitted from well made dual-use components.  Traditionally people either did their research and machined copies of commercial designs from scratch, or re-purposed common items into crude but cheap and effective hillbilly engineering. With fast eForm 1s and decent pre-cursor parts there are still the ground-up machinists and the quick and easy  “drillers” both building decent hardware, and finally as a third group the Gumbies wasting stamps on Amazon-bait, chinesium “filters”.  Everybody with half a brain hates that ghetto crap because it is being used as a stalking horse for further regulatory restrictions.

Hard to believe, but the NFA world is a lot friendlier and cooperative than it was pre-internet.  Suppressors are the most common, and yet get treated like Gucci purses instead of banal mufflers. The NFA really did an ear and mind fuck on US shooters.
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 1:27:17 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I stand by my statement that the attitude being displayed by the majority responding is counterproductive and not in the interest of advancomh the community or sense thereof, the level of offense that many of you took to me saying that only proves the point.

To answer the questions I am trying to do research and gather options on building a couple of form 1 silencers and was trying to understand why I don't see people building monos. Somebody aaid they did and i wanted more info on how.

I have basic hand tools at home but my FIL owns a machine shop with an older cnc, presses and a lathe. They also have a friend who built boilers in the navy and is a skilled welder. I am doing the research and planned to build one for him, one for my future son-in-law and one for me, basically a 3 generation group project
View Quote

You have 11 posts total including the ones in this thread, it wouldn't be the first time an anti tried to infiltrate and garner comments used to further the anti agenda.

You want to be accepted? Don't come off like a child that needs to be set in his/her place.

Generally, the users who post frequently here have the best interests of all Title2 weapon owners at heart; and as a group will go on defense at the slightest hint of stupid/ass-hat/noob behaviours.

It still continues as you post you want to create silencers for others.

That's great, but you're going to have to become a licensed manufacturer to do so.

And in case it wasn't clear, what's in the best interest and advancement of the community, is not allowing the least common denominators from ruining it for the rest of us.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 10:22:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote

And this is how one ostracizes himself.

Acting as though you're entitled to other's hard earned knowledge is definitely not the way to glean any of it.  Casting insults and virtue signaling when vague, lazy questions are given broad answers only makes people that much less inclined to help.  A little effort on your part along with some reverence and humility go a long way when you want people to share information.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 9:49:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
....it is really frustrating and counterproductive to treat this shit like a secret and demand everyone recreate the wheel just cause you had to.
View Quote

Machining titanium is well documented and has been done for many decades, buy a book on machining and read it if that is what you want to know about.
If you want to know details about how/why somebody designed what they did then ask a specific question and don't expect them to write a dissertation on it.  
You have to put in some effort.  Nobody worth learning anything from will hold your hand unless you put in some effort - at least ask a specific question.  You asked "how did you do that" and got mad when he told you.

I made two monocores and, while they were ghetto builds, the performance was very poor.  One was a rimfire and wasn't hearing safe on a pistol.  I sent it to Ecco and he put simple cones in it and it is light years better.  The other is 45cal and better than the rimfire, but it still isn't anything to write home about.  
Unless you have a specific need to use a monocore I wouldn't do it.  
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 7:46:40 AM EDT
[#25]
There are some Chinese filter monicore videos on YouTube if you search. Rim fire use they work “ok”

One showed it blowing up on .556 mag dumps

It’s cool there are better options nowadays than freeze plugs and pipe.

I remember silenertalk and they did not play as nice as this forum.

I love mono cores but don’t own one as I read the advice here and machined come/cups

I still want an integral mono .22 10/22 though

Update 30 second search
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top