Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/31/2021 10:13:18 PM EDT
Anyone know where to find a Winchester Model 70 Safari in .375 H&H? Coming up dry everywhere.
Link Posted: 3/31/2021 10:40:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 8:10:44 AM EDT
[#2]
I’ve been looking locally for a couple years with no luck. Seems to be a hard model to find in the wild.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 8:26:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Here's one with a scope for $8,450.  Seems a bit overpriced to me, but it's there if you want it.

Here one might be at a Cabelas, but their website is freaking out on me and I can't tell where it's in stock/where to call to order it.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 10:40:10 AM EDT
[#4]
They're really commanding a premium now.  I have one in 416 Rem Mag and they're going for almost $2,000 on GB with the 375 H&H models going for even more than that.  I paid just over $1,200 for it when I bought it so they're definitely overpriced now.

Unfortunately with CZ now out of the entry level safari rifle game that pretty much leaves Winchester as the only option so I imagine their safari rifles are going to be hard to get in general now.  To add to that I don't think Winchester makes many of them to begin with, and they were already in somewhat high demand prior to all the craziness as they were, out of the box, better rifles than the CZ 550 magnums for only a couple hundred more.  They'd come out in batches and usually sell out pretty quick.

Your best bet is to sign up for notifications on gun.deals for the 375 model and you should get notified once one is in stock somewhere.  Generally that'll be the cheapest route.  If you go on Gunbroker looking for one you'll overpay since none are in stock with any of the major online dealers and demand is even higher for them due to CZ dropping out of the safari rifles game.  Right now it's best to just wait for one to come in stock on the regular dealer sites for just around or under MSRP.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 10:05:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I’ve been looking locally for a couple years with no luck. Seems to be a hard model to find in the wild.
View Quote

Looks like you're in NC, Fuquay Guns and Gold had a used one last weekend. It had a plastic stock on it but the tag said "two stocks" I didnt ask to look at it though.
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 3:14:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Well, I found one. It's a New Haven gun too. It came with an optic, base, rings, tons of brass and bullets. It had a Leupold 3-9x50 on it which I am going to replace with a Accupoint 1-4 in Warne QD rings. The sling I got from Trader Keith. I was getting MOA groups with bullet weights from 235-300. All shot to the same POA at 100 yards.

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/25/2021 9:37:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Nice looking rifle there.  Congrats. I'd like one in 338 Win Mag.
Link Posted: 5/26/2021 9:33:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Well, I found one. It's a New Haven gun too. It came with an optic, base, rings, tons of brass and bullets. It had a Leupold 3-9x50 on it which I am going to replace with a Accupoint 1-4 in Warne QD rings. The sling I got from Trader Keith.

I was getting MOA groups with bullet weights from 235-300. All shot to the same POA at 100 yards.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Well, I found one. It's a New Haven gun too. It came with an optic, base, rings, tons of brass and bullets. It had a Leupold 3-9x50 on it which I am going to replace with a Accupoint 1-4 in Warne QD rings. The sling I got from Trader Keith.

I was getting MOA groups with bullet weights from 235-300. All shot to the same POA at 100 yards.

That's supposedly attributable to the genius of the .375's three original bullet-weights (235gns, 270gns, & 300gns) as loaded to their original velocity specs from a 24" barrel. I can't recall what the original zero-distance was as far as the Old School, iron-sighted H&H rifles go, but it might've been 100yds. But out to a certain zero distance, all three loads were intended to hit to the same POA.

The point was, to have a highly versatile rifle capable of taking almost all African game with one of three loads, with no sight changes/adjustments needed.

Very nice rifle!  Mine's a BRNO 602 that was customized. It also wears a Trader Keith Carry Strap.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 5:16:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Well, I found one. It's a New Haven gun too. It came with an optic, base, rings, tons of brass and bullets. It had a Leupold 3-9x50 on it which I am going to replace with a Accupoint 1-4 in Warne QD rings. The sling I got from Trader Keith. I was getting MOA groups with bullet weights from 235-300. All shot to the same POA at 100 yards.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/1891/IMG_E0349_jpg-1955140.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/1891/IMG_0350_jpg-1955141.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/1891/IMG_0355_jpg-1955149.JPG
View Quote

What's the action feel like?  I haven't handled a Mod 70 since probably the late 90s.  Nice and smooth, or gritty sandpaper like my rough, but 100% functional Ruger African? I need to find one to handle I guess.
Link Posted: 5/28/2021 5:26:01 PM EDT
[#10]
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/901805260
Link Posted: 5/29/2021 8:10:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

What's the action feel like?  I haven't handled a Mod 70 since probably the late 90s.  Nice and smooth, or gritty sandpaper like my rough, but 100% functional Ruger African? I need to find one to handle I guess.
View Quote

I can't speak to the newer foreign made guns or the batch from SC, but the action in mine is very nice.

Does anyone know how to figure out manufacture date? I'm guessing this is an early 2000s gun. (Copyright on some material in box is 1999.)
Link Posted: 6/3/2021 8:13:06 AM EDT
[#12]
I don’t have the website handy, but just search “when was my Winchester made” and the collectors site should come up and you can use the serial number to find date of manufacture.
Link Posted: 6/4/2021 7:41:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/1891/IMG_E0349_jpg-1955140.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/1891/IMG_0350_jpg-1955141.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/1891/IMG_0355_jpg-1955149.JPG
View Quote

Congrats!  To say that your rifle is "GORGEOUS" would be doing a disservice to the rifle.

That thing is INCREDIBLE!!!

Link Posted: 8/15/2021 11:00:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

That's supposedly attributable to the genius of the .375's three original bullet-weights (235gns, 270gns, & 300gns) as loaded to their original velocity specs from a 24" barrel. I can't recall what the original zero-distance was as far as the Old School, iron-sighted H&H rifles go, but it might've been 100yds. But out to a certain zero distance, all three loads were intended to hit to the same POA.

The point was, to have a highly versatile rifle capable of taking almost all African game with one of three loads, with no sight changes/adjustments needed.

Very nice rifle!  Mine's a BRNO 602 that was customized. It also wears a Trader Keith Carry Strap.
View Quote

I didn't know that about .375. Pretty cool.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top