Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/5/2018 6:31:04 PM EDT
Yea or nay?  I have a black 17s & 16s SBR, they are both sorta unfinished projects, both black.  I was sorta considering FDE lowers (Stryker or Handl for the 17s, accepting FN mags since I have almost 40 of them), FDE KDG stocks and putting appropriate size FDE PMM MLOK rails.  Anyone have any similar looking rifles?  I’m really not sure if this would look hideous or if it would actually look good.

I’ve always liked the black scars but black where you place your hands and cheek really sucks in south(west) Florida.  Part of me thinks having the uppers on mine cerakoted Patriot brown (with the FDE described above) would look good, but I really prefer anodizing to cerakote.

Any thoughts?
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 8:03:16 PM EDT
[#1]
You see a fair number of mixed color rifles for sale. Personally I think it looks dumb...but they're not my guns.
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 11:54:21 PM EDT
[#2]
As long as you yourself are not wearing white after Labor Day while shooting your mixed colored SCAR I have no problem with it....

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 2:06:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I like 2-tone guns sometimes.  My SCAR 17 isnt like you described with the different color upper/lower, but it is 2-tone.
But I have seen FDE uppers with the FDE cheek riser on black lowers with the black stock and I really liked it.

For some reason I like that better than black upper/FDE lower. Just a matter of preference I guess.
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 2:09:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 3:22:45 PM EDT
[#5]
My "black" SCAR has a dark navy blue receiver and the rail extension is grayish black, and the furniture is black.
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 3:32:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Honest question...

How is cz able to color match essentially the same rifle and fn can't or won't.

I krylond mine...
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 7:46:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Honest question...

I krylond mine...
View Quote
They are cerakoting versus anodizing.

ETA: They do not cerakote looks like they have an "in-house" treatment finish.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 11:14:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Metal and plastic get shot as shit in the Florida sun.  A tan rifle is not going to be noticeably cooler to the touch than a Black one...

Just get whatever you think looks cool and shoot the thing.  Who cares.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 2:18:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Honest question...

I krylond mine...
View Quote
I have done some anodizing aluminium before and lots of variables come into play.  Temp of the solution, how much color pigment is added, current, impurities, metal impurities in the anodizing metal, alloy of the metal being anodized (6061 vs 7075), oxides already on the surface, surface prep, and list goes on.  One change in one of the variables can have a subtle difference or a drastic difference.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 5:35:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I have done some anodizing aluminium before and lots of variables come into play.  Temp of the solution, how much color pigment is added, current, impurities, metal impurities in the anodizing metal, alloy of the metal being anodized (6061 vs 7075), oxides already on the surface, surface prep, and list goes on.  One change in one of the variables can have a subtle difference or a drastic difference.
View Quote
I get that, I love FN but Scars have looked like the have been cobbled together from spare parts from day one.  the Remington ACR, the Beretta AXR, the CZ Scorpio and Bren, the Sig Mpx/MCX, the Kel tec su16, the IMI Tavor  all have rifles built with different materials and manage to put out rifles in desert tan and manage to put out products with a consistent finish.  Even their own Ballista is color matched

Outside of the SR25, it is literally the most expensive rifle/carbine on the market and with a shit finish and trigger, they haven't updated rifle since it was released, they wont sell they PDW or SSR Stock.  the aftermarket almost exclusively supports the weapons modularity.

Once again, I love FN and think they great weapons but in some areas, its amateur hour
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 11:04:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yea or nay?  I have a black 17s & 16s SBR, they are both sorta unfinished projects, both black.  I was sorta considering FDE lowers (Stryker or Handl for the 17s, accepting FN mags since I have almost 40 of them), FDE KDG stocks and putting appropriate size FDE PMM MLOK rails.  Anyone have any similar looking rifles?  I’m really not sure if this would look hideous or if it would actually look good.

I’ve always liked the black scars but black where you place your hands and cheek really sucks in south(west) Florida.  Part of me thinks having the uppers on mine cerakoted Patriot brown (with the FDE described above) would look good, but I really prefer anodizing to cerakote.

Any thoughts?
View Quote
I did a patriot brown on a ak with a fde sight, stock, and grip. I think it looks good. I say go for it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top