Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/30/2018 3:48:59 PM EDT
Bolt action Rifle is factory new.  Shot 10 rounds each of two different factory ammo and one reload.  All reloads fired fine, two of each 10 factory rounds failed to fire.  Factory ammo was Remington and hornady.

Firing pin protrusion is about 0.059 inch.  I have no way to check headspace, but the extractor grabbed all rounds well and the primers on all rounds(even misfires) look similar with a good sized dent.

In the picture the Closest two rounds of each box are the misfires.

The rifle has an adjustable trigger(pretravel, pull weight, and over travel). Google tells me insufficient over travel can cause the firing pin to drag and cause misfires.

Should I even try to adjust the trigger or should I return it under warranty?

Link Posted: 12/30/2018 3:55:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 4:07:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tweak the over travel, a thousandth or two of an inch more clearance at the sear will probably fix the problem.

I'll bet every shot will fire if you hold the trigger back hard during follow through.  
View Quote
I have fondled the trigger after I got home and googled a bit.  There is little or no overtravel, it's so close I can't tell.  
There are minor marks on the sear and firing pin where they are rubbing together(not on the mating surfaces) but I don't know if they rub during firing or when opening the bolt.  I suspect the latter but I'm not very smart.

The primers all look similar - seems like a sear dragging enough to cause a misfire would leave a smaller primer dent?

Going hunting tomorrow with it, will add a bit of overtravel and try it again after hunting.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 4:07:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 5:33:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The above is a worthwhile suggestion.  I would also suggest dismantling and thoroughly cleaning the bolt and all its' components.  Re-lube the bolt with correct lubricant (probably oil of some sort), and test again.  Inspect carefully, under good light, as there may be a burr or something similar causing your problem.  
View Quote
When pulling the firing pin back by hand it is smooth as glass.  The bolt is finished extremely nicely, but I did just figure out how to get the pin out and will look it over tonight when I adjust the overtravel.
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 6:35:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 7:00:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
May we ask as to what rifle you are having problems?
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 12:05:15 PM EDT
[#7]
I adjusted the overtravel, requires removing the action from stock... once out it was obvious that there can be no dragging of the sear no matter what the overtravel is set at.  There is an intermediate link between the trigger and the firing pin, sort of like there are two sears.  When the trigger releases the "intermediate" link it is spring loaded to snap away from the firing pin.  Trigger cannot raise this link to make it touch the firing pin after firing, so no way for it to drag.

I disassembled the bolt, it was spotless and perfectly finished inside.  No dragging or friction on anything I can feel.

I believe the headspace is excessive.  I have no way to measure it, but I put assorted cases in the gun and used a cleaning rod to push the case back against the ejector spring.  Cases fired from the rifle were tight, new cases had just enough play that I could feel it.  I put the same cases in another rifle that is known good and the fired cases from the rifle in question made the bolt tight to close.  Sized cases had less play than in the suspect rifle.  So the headspace is more than another rifle, but who knows how much more or if it is too much.

I hate saying what it is since it doesn't matter and people are biased.  But it's a cz557.  The barrel is shouldered on the action to set headspace so if that is the problem it's not a quick fix.  I'll hopefully hear from cz today.

Since I figured out how to post pictures, here are the bolt pieces:
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 11:05:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 5:41:40 PM EDT
[#9]
CZ apparently is back at work now and says return it.  
I'll update in (hopefully less than) 4-6 weeks.
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 5:38:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Automated email from CZ says they are going to replace my rifle, no reason given.

I wonder if my headspace theory is correct?  Wonder if they will tell you what they determined was wrong?
The manners stock is very nice and I want to like the rifle, I sure hope the replacement works!
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 8:05:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 5:39:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Update:  CZ emailed me pretty quick, but google put their email in the spam folder!  Second email made it through last week.

Since this rifle was discontinued cz has none available to replace it with.  They offered to fit a regular American barreled action into the manners stock, but that would give me a much longer barrel and defeat the purpose of buying the short version.  They also offered to replace it with a similarly priced different rifle.  I proposed an entirely different gun (that I was going to buy anyway) and they said no problem.

They said the headspace was fine, the problem was due to drag on the firing pin causing it to not have enough energy to reliably fire primers.  I'm not sure how you can so solidly determine that, but that's what they said.  It wasn't cost effective to fix they said, thus the replacement decision.

The rifles are still available online at incredible prices and minus the misfires I really liked it for the 25ish rounds I fired - Im 80% sure I'm going order another one.  In the end it was a bit of a hassle, but CZ fixed it the best they could.  I'm plenty happy and will remain a cz fan for quite some time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top