Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/11/2020 2:18:42 PM EDT
Ok, so I am not a machinist or a professional gunsmith.  I have a couple of friends with full sized bridgeports, but I hate to impose on them.  So I have been looking at ways I could do small jobs myself.  I don't have a full sized shop or or even room for a real lathe or a full sized mill.   I cant even get 220v run to my garage for less than these tools (was quoted $2300 to get 220v to my garage for a welder and compressor.)  Then I got to thinking, every single favor I have asked of my machinist buddies has been physically small.  Cutting slides for MRD, custom head for a tripod, making small part adapters for sights, new linkage for my golf cart, etc, everything I have ever paid or begged someone else to machine has all been small, easily able to fit in these things.  Even something like finishing 80% lowers would easily fit here, and both of these together, including tooling aren't much more than what ghost gunner wants for their rigs.  

I present to you: HiTorque Mini Mill

https://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=5100

But wait, there's MORE...

In researching this post, I discovered the SEIG mini mill  
...which is even smaller and cheaper!!!  And they have a matching lathe

So, dear reader, I am relying on you to tell me why these fantastic looking little machines are a bad idea.
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 4:11:12 PM EDT
[#1]
For the mill, I'd suggest you spend a little more and get the LMS model with DRO.

As for the mini-lathes, I wonder if you could actually fit an average sized barrel in one for single point threading.  Me thinks you would need a larger through spindle hole.

Hmm, they say .8 inches.  That might be enough most of the time.
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 5:42:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I have the HF mini mill. It’s a fun little machine.  It was a good deal for 25% off a few years back.
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 7:59:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I've had an LMS hi 3900 for about 7 years.  Of course I still want a bridgeport and will probably be getting one soon.  But I do like having a mini-mill.  As long as you work with their limitations, you can get a lot done.  Enjoy your journey down the rabbit hole

My Maching Thread
Link Posted: 11/19/2020 2:06:45 PM EDT
[#4]
The Horror Freight lathe is ok for small projects. If you do go that route, take the time to clean it well. WD40 works good. Take the cross slide off and clean the lands and set the gibs. They're sloppy as fuck from the factory. Use good HSS cutters that are sharp and work into your cuts, don't over do it and you'll be fine. Also, get some extra fuses.

I've cut threads on tapered barrels and recrowned.

Cutting threads is a bit of a pain due to no change gears. I keep the gears for cutting 1/2-28 separated along with the change gear chart.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 12:42:46 AM EDT
[#5]
I have that same mill. I added CNC by way of a HeavyMetalCNC kit. Only thing I would want to add would be coolant for when I mill steel, otherwise I love it for the price and amount of space it takes up. Works great for milling AR lowers and other general aluminum work. My skill level has not yet outgrown that machine. I will probably upgrade in a few years.
Link Posted: 12/27/2020 10:56:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have that same mill. I added CNC by way of a HeavyMetalCNC kit. Only thing I would want to add would be coolant for when I mill steel, otherwise I love it for the price and amount of space it takes up. Works great for milling AR lowers and other general aluminum work. My skill level has not yet outgrown that machine. I will probably upgrade in a few years.
View Quote

If you are running coated carbide, it is typically not advised to run coolant unless drilling.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top