Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/20/2022 4:50:49 PM EDT
A buddy of mine just acquired a 1979 Mini 14 and it has a horrible wire folding stock on it. Will any Mini 14 wood stock work or were there any changes over the years.
Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 5:24:19 PM EDT
[#1]
The wood stocks need the metal in the mag well area and in the forearm area under the stock. Plus the 2 bolts with star washers.
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 5:31:23 PM EDT
[#2]
180 serial prefix (wood handguard) is different from the others...

BTW if that is an original factory stock it is worth some $.

Link Posted: 3/20/2022 6:01:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The wood stocks need the metal in the mag well area and in the forearm area under the stock. Plus the 2 bolts with star washers.
View Quote
If it is a Butler Creek folding stock it should need the metal as well.
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 6:40:52 PM EDT
[#4]
People are paying BIG bucks for the factory folding stock. So much so that Samson is making a reproduction that ain’t cheap.
Link Posted: 3/20/2022 10:35:29 PM EDT
[#5]
They’re even paying for the Butler Creek stocks.
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 10:24:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Long ago there were a few versions of underfolder stocks for the Mini, some better than others, but none of them noted for their silence nor their stability as a shooting stock.

Absent any pix or even a good description, I'm guessing this is what the OP might have.  It might fetch some money at auction, if you find the right buyer.

The Butler Creek stock is probably superior to the Ruger/Samson side folder, but that's my opinion.  Note that the out-of-production BC side folders are going up in price, so some others might agree that the BC stocks are decent units
Link Posted: 3/24/2022 7:48:44 PM EDT
[#7]
FWIW on my Mini (Walmart, $419 out the door on layaway in 1989) I found the Choate "E2 Style" stock to be quite nice if you are looking for a fixed stock

Their site - https://www.riflestock.com

Link Posted: 3/25/2022 1:41:13 PM EDT
[#8]
The current Mini-14 stocks will fit back to the 181 series.  You mentioned yours is a 1979 vintage which is most likely a 181 series.  If is has a button on the top of the left side of the receiver to hold the bolt back then any 181 series and later stock will work.
Link Posted: 3/25/2022 1:54:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Mods please delete
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 8:54:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Mini Series Number/Year Chart

Note Instruction Manual button at top right.  Make sure you get correct manual for your particular Mini.

Wide selection of wood/laminated/syn stocks and handguards at Accuracy Systems Inc.

ASI link above is not exhaustive, so do shop around for other options and prices.

Personally, I would choose a syn stock over wood or laminate, but that's my choice, YMMV.

If choosing wood, I'd opt for Birch, since it is a little denser, and less likely to crack/split compared to Walnut.

The period-correct stock for your Mini likely had a curved butt plate usually of plastic.  Many users have bought replacement stainless steel curved butt plate
from Gunparts, done a little fitting, then painted them to match the gun.  The advantage of the stainless steel version is that it can be easily re-painted when--not if-- it becomes badly scratched, and no rust.  These steel butt plates come and go, and the blued version is "Out of Stock".  Suggest getting one now, instead of waiting.

Modern Mini stocks have a straight rubber compound butt plate.  There are also some differences in length-of-pull between the old-style and new-style stocks.

There are some people who feel that wooden stocks on many early Minis were cut to fit very loosely and this negatively impacts accuracy unless the wooden stock is shimmed and/or bedded.

OTOH, syn stocks generally have a tighter fit, and are not susceptible to moisture induces warping.  Laminate stocks somewhere in between, being heavier than either simple wood or syn stocks.

Any stock can be "massaged" to work well, but some take more work than others, and some are heavier than others.
Link Posted: 3/30/2022 11:50:16 PM EDT
[#11]
1979 is a 181 series mini 14, so any Mini 14 stock will fit.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top