Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/25/2020 10:05:15 PM EDT
I've been delaying this because my OEM trigger group, with a little judicious stoning here and there seemed reasonably light-of-pull, and free from grittiness and nastiness.

My comparison trigger is the Trigger on my SA SuperMatch M1A.  Same basic design--almost identical.  I also have some very nice Timney Triggers on some firearms.  I even have a pretty decent trigger on my FAL, but that took some doing.

OK, so I had some time and some extra bucks.  The Mini trigger was always a heavier weight of pull than the SM M1A, and I wanted to see how it could be improved.

As an aside, I have always found that an excellent trigger allowed me to get the best out of any firearm.  Sure the firearm needs to be GTG, but, at least for me, an excellent trigger allows me to do my personal best.  YMMV.

I sent the Trigger group off to http://www.mini-14-accuracy.com/.  I asked for a "Duty Trigger" which is to say, a more-or-less "Tactical" trigger, as opposed to a Shooting Range trigger.  Not cheap, but worth the freight, IMHO.

The received trigger is FAR better than even the "improved" trigger group I sent them, and has a crisper, lighter weight of pull.  I received exactly what I wanted, and cant find any fault in their work.

One thing I did ask-for is for them to include their "Trigger Shoe" attachment.  This is a very old trick, employed on all types of firearms.  The "Trigger Shoe" is attached to the trigger, and because it adds width to the trigger, "fools" one's finger into "thinking" the trigger is lighter than it actually is.  Same weight of trigger-pull, but one's finger "senses" the trigger as being lighter.   Yeah, I know, it sounds like "Black Magic", but do some research; iI's a pretty cool, longstanding trick.   Such trigger shoes have found their way onto some other firearms I own.

All-in-all,  and after evaluation, entirely satisfied.  Belief in an excellent trigger being a joy in itself is re-confirmed.

Submitted for your consideration.

Disclaimer: no financial interest.

Link Posted: 4/26/2020 3:17:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Trigger Shoe is just a wider trigger.  It's simple physics, i.e., the same weight exerted over a larger surface area (larger square inches) reduces the pounds per square inch (pressure exerted on a given section).  Your finger isn't 'fooled', with a larger contact area the pressure per section is lower for the same total lbs pressure exerted.  Same principle as deflating your tires on my Jeep when going into the sand.  Larger contact patch on each tire means lower psi exerted.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 11:20:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I had Brimstone do mine. They are really nice
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 8:40:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Trigger Shoe is just a wider trigger.  It's simple physics, i.e., the same weight exerted over a larger surface area (larger square inches) reduces the pounds per square inch (pressure exerted on a given section).  Your finger isn't 'fooled', with a larger contact area the pressure per section is lower for the same total lbs pressure exerted.  Same principle as deflating your tires on my Jeep when going into the sand.  Larger contact patch on each tire means lower psi exerted.
View Quote

Your description is technically more correct than mine.  The fundamental point is that the user "senses" a lighter trigger pull-weight, even though the actual, mechanically measured pull-weight remains the same before and after the shoe's installation.

Not a replacement for a decent trigger/trigger job, though
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 12:39:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I watched Terry the gunsmith from impact guns doing nuttinfancy?'s  trigher job on youtube. He shows ya what to stone, what spromg to swap out, etc. I did it to mine (i am a machinist and have stones and springs available) and WOWW its light. Its def at least as light as my 3.5lb geissele setups. The spring sets the weight, the stoning removes all the grittyness.

He is still doing them if u want to send it in. I think his name is terry? Lemme get a link for u.....

Terrys trigger job
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 12:59:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I watched Terry the gunsmith from impact guns doing nuttinfancy?'s  trigher job on youtube. He shows ya what to stone, what spromg to swap out, etc. I did it to mine (i am a machinist and have stones and springs available) and WOWW its light. Its def at least as light as my 3.5lb geissele setups. The spring sets the weight, the stoning removes all the grittyness.

He is still doing them if u want to send it in. I think his name is terry? Lemme get a link for u.....

Terrys trigger job
View Quote

I watched that vid, and he's still doing trigger jobs.  The only reason I went with another provider is that my provider offered some proprietary items as well as trigger jobs.  I'm sure Terry does a fine job.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top