Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/14/2021 5:00:20 PM EDT
I owned a used mini-14 Beta mag many moons ago, and never got it to run a whole drum without jamming. It was used, so who knows what was all done to it.

Anyone have first had feedback on the various drums? Worth trying a factory new Beta? What about the KCI knockoffs? Maybe the MWG Snail drums?
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 3:16:47 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I owned a used mini-14 Beta mag many moons ago, and never got it to run a whole drum without jamming. It was used, so who knows what was all done to it.

Anyone have first had feedback on the various drums? Worth trying a factory new Beta? What about the KCI knockoffs? Maybe the MWG Snail drums?
View Quote
Did you ever contact Beta about the drum?  If so, what was their response?
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 3:24:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Did you ever contact Beta about the drum?  If so, what was their response?
View Quote

I did not. I bough it used with two towers (ar15 and mini-14) so there's no telling what the previous owner did to it. It wasn't too bad on semi, but on auto would jam 3-5 times per loading.

Everyone recommended keeping properly lubed with graphite, which I did, but it still seemed to bind up/FTF.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 3:52:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Lubrication is just part of it...
You have to disassemble and clean it periodically, then lube with graphite.

Magpul drums are much better (since they don't need lube) but unfortunately not offered for the Mini-14.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 3:54:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lubrication is just part of it...
You have to disassemble and clean it periodically, then lube with graphite.

Magpul drums are much better (since they don't need lube) but unfortunately not offered for the Mini-14.
View Quote

Sadly found this out myself. Figured they would have something by now. Nothing for the M1A or Mini-14. I wonder if it's something with the magazine design; would likely need a metal plate up from to hold up to pin/rock in mag style.
Link Posted: 1/15/2021 5:01:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes it would need steel for the front engagement, and ideally the rear as well.
Probably not enough market demand to support product development costs.

EDIT: The KCI knockoffs are absolute crap (although I've only personally tried the AR version). I wouldn't recommend the MWG either but some people like them. Even if they work well, I don't like that it's asymmetrical (throws off balance while firing).
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 5:42:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Forget the Beta!

Got a brand new, direct from Beta-C magazine. Piece of shit won't even load; destroyed a few 5.56 rounds in the process.

I guess a sucker is born every minute.

ETA: The dummy rounds were disconnected, i.e. split into 3 groups which jammed the whole shit up. After disassembly and reassembly, it's now loading.

I purchased mine with an AR15 tower and Mini-14 tower. The mini-14 has two grooves cut where the nose of the bullet goes. The AR15 mag? No grooves, so the rounds just cut their own groove in the front of the mag.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 7:18:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a beta mag on my dresser that a buddy gave to me. Won't cycle more than a few rounds before jamming. I think it may be due to the tower being chewed up. Never bothered calling them.

The graphite always seemed odd to me, seeing as graphite is corrosive to aluminum.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top