Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/28/2021 1:49:00 PM EDT
Does anyone here know what the appropriate thread types are for gear like plate carriers and pouches?  What is required for clothing?

I am looking to modify some items and repair others.  Nothing fancy but I would rather use what I know works or how well it works vs something off amazon of unknown performance.  If anyone knows of thread better than mil-spec but would cost around the same please let me know.  This is more about making items that last and perform well than meeting mil-spec.  The mil-spec interest is more due to it being a somewhat known quantity.

I would also be interested in any advice on sewing machines that deal with these types of threads and materials like Cordura well.

ETA:  The link below is relevant and has taught me a few things.  You have to fill a form out for the free download but the download is immediate.

https://www.servicethread.com/the-guide-to-military-specifications-for-industrial-sewing-thread
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 3:27:21 PM EDT
[#1]
I'll check my Rockywoods order history, I got some good thread to mod an ACH cover with. I think it was Guterman TERA40 in Tan 499 though.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 10:19:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'll check my Rockywoods order history, I got some good thread to mod an ACH cover with. I think it was Guterman TERA40 in Tan 499 though.
View Quote

They have Tera40 and Tera80, as well as Mara100.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 7:47:17 PM EDT
[#3]
@savagemann  Has some expertise in this area, if he is willing to share.
Makes some pretty nice slings too...
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 4:00:56 AM EDT
[#4]
I use a Brother CS6000i with T70 (#69) Bonded Nylon Thread. Also Size 16 or 18 needles. That's about as much as my machine can handle. Be sure to buy quality made in USA thread. The chinese stuff is junk. Mara70 is good for lighter projects like backpacking gear. Worked well for a woobie I made.

T70 works will for custom gear but larger thread wouldn't hurt if your machine can handle it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 4:50:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 4:17:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
@savagemann  Has some expertise in this area, if he is willing to share.
Makes some pretty nice slings too...
View Quote

Hey, thanks!

You're going to want text 70/#69 bonded nylon thread. A&E is my personal go to for gear.

I think unless you get into a heavy duty industrial machine, you might have problems with any thread over #69/tex70 and may have issues with it on a cheaper "heavy duty" machine.

I started on a Singer heavy-duty machine.
It was kind of hit-or-miss trying to sew with tex70 thread.
I had issues with size 16 needles and had a hard time finding #18 needles that would work well with that machine.

I did get decent results with mara40 but it is a little light duty for heavy use gear.

I quickly bought a Juki 8700H machine and love it. It was around $800.
But I'm at the point now where I'm ready to drop down big $ for a walking foot Juki.

Even the same specification threads within the same brand, all sew a little bit different.
I find the A&E coyote, & green olive colors all sew nicely.
While the tan499 is an absolute nitemare.

Thread Exchange is a good source for a&e thread.

How much are you willing to put into a machine?

Link Posted: 5/4/2021 8:59:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Click here for milspec thread in Tex 45 and Tex 70.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top