Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/2/2018 5:39:55 AM EDT
The "ZKZM-500" - https://www.cnet.com/news/chinas-new-laser-powered-rifle-can-literally-set-you-on-fire/

Not very nice :(

http://www.scmp.com/news/china/diplomacy-defence/article/2153310/china-brings-star-wars-life-laser-ak-47-could-set-fire

I wonder if anyone's going to stick a couple of LIF lenses into a very 60's looking pair of glasses now?

Though I find the use of the telescopic optic on this "weapon" quite ironic. It doesn't look like it's filtered.

David

Update: Best as I can determine, it's a 1.2kW laser at 1064nm. About a million times more powerful than US citizens are permitted to own. Actually, 1.2 Million times more power to be specific.

A lif would *just* protect your eyes. As long as you hadn't scratched it up using it as a sacrificial filter.
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 7:38:06 AM EDT
[#2]

Oops, I double posted your link so I just inserted the wink emoji and now nobody will ever know.
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 10:28:27 AM EDT
[#3]
I just realized that it does appear they do appear to have an eye-filter on the back of the dayscopes... But this would pretty much wipe out a typical NOD. Come to think of it, it might even punch through a LIF and still affect the NOD.

From what I can tell, they militarized a commercial fiber laser. Total consumption power is 3.5kW - easily supplied by a decent sized Lithium... And 1000 shots isn't much - at 2s per shot that's just 2000 seconds. So a small lithium.

But the output efficiency is good and dissipating that much heat is quite practical. This is literally the kind of weapon that could be made in a backyard, even in the US.  Actually someone in the US did make a 200W laser and it caused wood to pretty much burst instantly into flame with less than a 1s exposure- or at least it seemed real enough on youtube.

I think it will burn a very small spot of skin ( not flash-fry your entire face ) but a moving burn like that would be pretty nasty.

David.
Link Posted: 7/2/2018 8:15:10 PM EDT
[#4]
We have lots of targeting lasers that totally couldn't be repurposed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top