Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/5/2018 5:35:32 PM EDT
Hi,

I have a 5 acre lot with and would like to shoot a airgun that can go out to 200 yards. I have been looking at the FX series and I don't like the pump I would prefer the air can? I want accuaracy on par with my CZ 455. Can I fill these guns up with my Shop Air compressor? I would like to spend no more than $ 1,500 on the airgun.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 5:39:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hi,

I have a 5 acre lot with and would like to shoot a airgun that can go out to 200 yards. I have been looking at the FX series and I don't like the pump I would prefer the air can? I want accuaracy on par with my CZ 455. Can I fill these guns up with my Shop Air compressor? I would like to spend no more than $ 1,500 on the airgun.
View Quote

impossible. No airgun can match a good 22lr bolt action. you could get decent performance within lower distances, but at 200 you are asking too much.
Link Posted: 4/5/2018 8:37:11 PM EDT
[#2]
PCP (pre charged pneumatic) airguns require filling to pressures much greater than a shop compressor.  The air tubes on the rifles are rated between 3000 and 4000 psi.  A shop compressor generally runs between 90 and 125 psi.  Most shooters wind up with either a SCUBA tank (which are generally rated to 3000 psi) or an SCBA bottle that holds 4500 psi.  There are paintball and dive shops that can fill these tanks, but you do need to check on whether they can fill to the higher pressure before investing in an SCBA bottle.  Those of us (like me) who do not have a place close by that can fill to 4500 psi, tune our guns to work at a bit lower pressure (2000 to 2500 psi) and fill with the SCUBA tanks.

Filling with one of the bicycle style hand compressors, is not too bad if you have a bit smaller air tube on your gun. Trying to fill one of the bottle guns would be only for one who likes punishment.

Also, you are kind of missing the point with airguns.  Airgun pellets have a much poorer ballistic coefficient than any bullet.  What this allows, then, is long range practice for wind estimation, hold over (click adjustments) for various ranges, etc. but at distances much shorter than what is needed for highpower rifles, or even .22 rimfire.   For example, a 20 ft-lb .177 airgun has about the same wind drift (in terms of angle for a given wind speed) as a .223 does shooting 77 or 80 grain match bullet at 600 yards.

As far as precision goes, modern airguns are getting to the point where less than one minute of angle at reasonable ranges is quite common. The better guns and shooters (who are willing to do some tuning) are turning out shooting 1/4 MOA at 25 meters in benchrest matches.  These matches are outdoors where wind plays a significant part.  Yet, these shooters are judging the wind well enough to punch out the center of the benchrest target time and time again.

Now, getting started with a rifle that is accurate enough, and is fairly easy to fill with a hand pump (or filled with a SCUBA tank), and within your budget for the whole kit, I suggest that you look at the Brocock Compatto, and the FX Streamline (or wait for the Dreamline which is more tunable).

These rifles are very good, but are at or slightly below the $1000 mark.  A Hill pump will run you about $200, while a SCUBA tank with fill device will set you back about $375.  A large SCBA bottle will cost about $600 and has only a 15 year lifespan, but you will be able to fill your rifle all the way many times before you need to get it refilled.  You will also need a scope, but that is something you will need to decide for yourself.
Link Posted: 4/9/2018 10:34:01 AM EDT
[#3]
Well yes and no.

You can have air rifles that will shoot out to 200 yards but you are really going to be moving away from pellets and to "bullets"....and likely you are going to move past 22 and up to 25, or 30+ caliber.  The issue with air rifles is the pellets are pretty light weight,  and pellets have a really horrid BC, so with any longer range shooting you are moving from the "normal" pellet shape, the shuttlecock and on to the bullet we are use to.

You can get them shooting that far.....however what I would suggest is try a mid ranged PCP and so some shorter ranged work.

The nice thing with PCP air rifles the technique is pretty much the same for a power burner rifle.  Everything is the same.  Now on spring guns this does not hold true.  You can also use any kind of optic you want to use.

I would bet you will find shooting at those closer distances will give you the same reward as shooting 200 with your rimfire.

The other thing I will say is you can get true one hole groups with some of these air rifles, and not just the very expensive guns.  I am lucky enough to have access to an indoor range that goes to 30 yards...and I can get 10 shots into a dime from a rest with a Beeman Chief.  Even cheap guns can shoot very well.

I will also say that air guns can be very pellet picky....just like 22 rim fire can like one ammo over another pellet guns.....really all guns are no different.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top