Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/19/2018 12:57:41 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 2:52:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Hope this isn't a silly question, but are the two round holes on the top of the rail QD sling swivel sockets or are they on the left side of the rail?
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 3:03:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 3:12:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Was there any thought given to making the lightening cuts all the way through to reduce weight and allow for better heat dissipation?
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 8:29:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 10:41:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Looks great. Have a picture of it mounted on an AUG?
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 11:26:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
They are anti rotation QD sockets. They are cut to orientate the swivel at a 45 degree angle to better position the sling. There are two so you have your choice of where you would want to locate the sling . You can also attach a sling to a M Lok slot if desired also . We were given specific parameters on swivel location in order to keep the charging handle are clear .
thanks
Troy
MI
View Quote
Thank you for the explanation. Nice to see it has a forward sling mount that clears the charging handle. This rail looks like it fixes most of my complaints with the A3M1.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 1:17:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Looks great. Have a picture of it mounted on an AUG?
View Quote
There's an image in the link.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 3:20:03 AM EDT
[#8]
The EMP looks great, very aesthetically pleasing.

Are there any plans to offer a longer version in the future that extends the rail all the way to the ejection port for use with short eye relief optics / backup iron sights?
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 6:58:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 7:47:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
These were designed and built to meet a list of requirements. One of the biggest things was not to negatively effect any of the standard features like the QD barrel or the vertical grip. Another thing was not to block the charging handle . We had to add location for lights and IR lasers to be mounted and used. The Aug in its current form was very challenging to make a part like this. This part may not address absolutely everything a person can come up with but It is a very good starting place and a very effective addition to greatly enhance the current platform.

TROY
MI
View Quote
I agree, this is a very good starting place.

But, with this as the start, could it finish by extending the rail to the ejection port?

That would basically be perfect and then the platform is "solved" once and for all. It certainly doesn't impact the barrel change or vertical foregrip by extending the rail a few more inches to the rear.

To give a brief history of the AUG rail system, this was the original rail:

Users complained for years that this rail did not extend far enough back.

Responding to consumer demand, Corvus Defensio and PJ/Steyr released an updated "long rail" at basically the same time ~1.5 years ago. This solved the rail length problem.

http://soldiersystems.net/2017/02/22/spartanat-new-by-corvus-defensio-m1-receiver-rail/

https://steyrarms.com/accessories/aug/extended-rail.html

The last problem to be solved was the convenient mounting of Lights and Lasers. The MI EMP solves this issue beautifully.

The problem is that in the process, it re-introduces the problem of the rail not extending to the ejection port - a problem that Steyr/PJ/Corvus had just gotten around to fixing last year with much fanfare.

Hence why I keep harping on this. You are basically 2-3" of rail away from solving the Steyr AUG once and for all. Once this is done, we can all rest, rejoice, and reload. But until then the AUG remains unsolved.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 8:42:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 9:36:58 AM EDT
[#12]
This is pretty nice it looks good the light... well played
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 10:06:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

But, with this as the start, could it finish by extending the rail to the ejection port?

That would basically be perfect and then the platform is "solved" once and for all. It certainly doesn't impact the barrel change or vertical foregrip by extending the rail a few more inches to the rear.

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/prodimages/45783-DEFAULT-l.jpg

Responding to consumer demand, Corvus Defensio and PJ/Steyr released an updated "long rail" at basically the same time ~1.5 years ago. This solved the rail length problem.

http://soldiersystems.net/2017/02/22/spartanat-new-by-corvus-defensio-m1-receiver-rail/

The last problem to be solved was the convenient mounting of Lights and Lasers. The MI EMP solves this issue beautifully.

The problem is that in the process, it re-introduces the problem of the rail not extending to the ejection port - a problem that Steyr/PJ/Corvus had just gotten around to fixing last year with much fanfare.

Hence why I keep harping on this. You are basically 2-3" of rail away from solving the Steyr AUG once and for all. Once this is done, we can all rest, rejoice, and reload. But until then the AUG remains unsolved.
View Quote
Spyderco makes a convincing argument and I agree with him.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 6:03:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
ditto
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 6:21:22 PM EDT
[#15]
I *think* this is only for A3 M1...is that correct?  In the pics it's an M1 but at the bottom of the webpage it says "COMPATIBILITY NOTES: ONLY COMPATIBLE WITH STYER AUG A3".

I have an A3 so now I'm
Link Posted: 9/21/2018 11:27:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/prodimages/45783-DEFAULT-l.jpg

+1, I'd be replacing my PJ's rail with this if it did.
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 8:11:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

+1, I'd be replacing my PJ's rail with this if it did.
View Quote
i actually held off buying an AUG until a rail existed that came back far enough to mount my Armasight thermal, Pete's rail on a new AUG was the answer. The MI rail definitely solves the light mount issue very nicely as Spyderco pointed out. I applaud MI's effort to make something functional that looks great for the awesome AUG and if the bean counters allow a version with a much longer rail to the rear to happen, the shipping dep't will definitely be busier.
Link Posted: 9/22/2018 10:24:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Looks good. If I had a m1 and didn't want buis or an acog I'd be all over it. So +1 on the extended length.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 3:57:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Great looking rail that would look better just a tad extended back as everyone else has been saying.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 6:47:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 7:57:23 PM EDT
[#21]
I suck at photoshop, so here is a terrible drawing to show where the rail should ideally extend to:

Link Posted: 9/24/2018 8:27:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I suck at photoshop, so here is a terrible drawing to show where the rail should ideally extend to:

https://preview.ibb.co/j6VSBp/AUG_MI_Rail_edit_2.jpg
View Quote
Yikes, don't quit your day job.

What you're trying to show would be excellent if MI would make it. As is, I have no need or desire for their rail, if it were longer like most of us have brought up then I'd buy one.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 9:56:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 10:32:51 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Is it just for sling mounts and optics that we want it further rearward?
View Quote
In terms of sling mounts, the existing MI EMP looks to have solved that very well, with QD sockets rearward of the charging handle.

The rearward rail is for use with short eye relief optics (ACOG's), as well as to allow room for backup iron sights, red dot magnifiers, and thermal/night vision devices.

This is the rail position found in the AUG A3 military rail, the rail on the Tavor and Thales F90, and the aftermarket rails by Corvus, Gear Head Works, Suarez, and PJ/Steyr.

But, if you're going to use a 1-6x optic, or a red dot without backup irons, it should work fine.

Basically, its a good rail system, but would have been the best rail system in the world for the AUG had it extended to the ejection port.
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 11:05:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 11:07:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Front is ok - totally missed opportunity on the rear.  What is with all these super short rails or upswept (quasi-msar type) only slightly longer rails?
We want A3, Corvus & Pete’s rear length top rails.  & have them flush up against the stock or angled down like the A3 - not levered upwards.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 12:03:25 AM EDT
[#27]
Even the short eye relief ACOGs don't need slots all the way to the ejection port

Of you're running an rds or optic with normal eye relief, a long rail isn't a requirement
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 3:39:12 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Even the short eye relief ACOGs don't need slots all the way to the ejection port

http://soldiersystems.net/blog1/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Corvus-Defensio-M1-2.jpg

Of you're running an rds or optic with normal eye relief, a long rail isn't a requirement
View Quote
If you took your example picture & put that ACOG in same exact spot on the short rail (not the shortest rail that ends the beginning of the stock) as on spydercomonkey’s pictured example the sight mount would be hanging off the back.  Depending on what ACOG mount you are using the mount might not even be fully on the rail... But your example is besides the point as most users would like the extra space for other items like buis, catchers, magnifiers, NV... whatever.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 4:59:50 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

If you took your example picture & put that ACOG in same exact spot on the short rail (not the shortest rail that ends the beginning of the stock) as on spydercomonkey’s pictured example the sight mount would be hanging off the back.  Depending on what ACOG mount you are using the mount might not even be fully on the rail...[color=#ff0000] But your example is besides the point as most users would like the extra space for other items like buis, catchers, magnifiers, NV... whatever.
View Quote
[/color]

QFT.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 8:17:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

http://soldiersystems.net/blog1/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Corvus-Defensio-M1-2.jpg

View Quote
You couldn't mount the ACOG that far back on the MI rail from the look of it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 8:36:09 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 1:35:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
We have mounted standard and mini Acog with zero issues for eye relief.

Troy

MI
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You couldn't mount the ACOG that far back on the MI rail from the look of it.
We have mounted standard and mini Acog with zero issues for eye relief.

Troy

MI
I was just speaking to his specific setup, not saying it wouldn't work.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 4:12:35 PM EDT
[#33]
I can see the desire for a longer rail - My favorite is my A3, the M1s are nice but with less rail real estate I can't do as much with them.

With that said I'm glad this product is available and eventually I'll probably get one.
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 7:41:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 9/25/2018 9:03:51 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

https://preview.ibb.co/j6VSBp/AUG_MI_Rail_edit_2.jpg
View Quote
You mean like the old Suarez International Rail:

Link Posted: 9/25/2018 9:18:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
You mean like the old Suarez International Rail:

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/IMG_4447.jpg
View Quote
Not quite that far; the Suarez extends to the rear of the ejection port.

Just to the front of the ejection port, like the Corvus, A3, PJ/Steyr rail, like this:

Link Posted: 11/30/2018 9:53:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Actually a question about the Suarez Rail... What prevents someone from attaching a Brass deflector to that rail that hangs down from the back of that rail?  I like the extra length of that rail as it gives you a repeatable point of contact somewhat like the charging handle does for some on an M4.

Although I currently don't own an AUG, I would have to agree with others that the MI rail should go back at least to the front of the ejection port.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 11:25:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 10:35:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
That's part of the design of the Suarez rail.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Actually a question about the Suarez Rail... What prevents someone from attaching a Brass deflector to that rail that hangs down from the back of that rail?  I like the extra length of that rail as it gives you a repeatable point of contact somewhat like the charging handle does for some on an M4.

Although I currently don't own an AUG, I would have to agree with others that the MI rail should go back at least to the front of the ejection port.
That's part of the design of the Suarez rail.
+1

For the A3 platform, the Suarez rail was a really great design.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top