Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 4/26/2023 5:07:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: takdriver]
I have an opportunity to buy an excellent condition McMillan tac50 (non a1) for 5k shipped with 2 mags and a pelican case. Information from the seller is that it was purchased in 2008, just under 100 rds fired. I don't hear much about these rifles but I'd like to ask if this price makes the gun worthwhile.
Attachment Attached File

It does not include optics.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 5:14:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Off the top of my head that sounds like a solid deal. I’d think you could probably get your money back if you ended up not liking it. There aren’t a lot of them out there and I’ve never shot one but always heard they were good guns. Don’t remember hearing problems with them but that could be because they’re not popular.

If I were looking for a 50 I’d probably buy it and give it a try. It’s a good action and the trigger is going to be nicer than the vast majority of 50’s you usually see. I don’t know what the mag situation is but I seem to remember they were pricey when I looked.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 7:18:59 PM EDT
[#2]
If it comes with the scope, you should've already wrote a check, transferred funds... if it's an older NXS, they were $1,800 new! If it's in good condition, it's still worth north of $1K.

Pretty sure the rifles sold for $5K+ when new, so even if you don't like it, you can sell it for what you'll have in it.

Link Posted: 4/26/2023 9:02:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I appreciate the comments so far. I'd like to restate that this does not include any optics. It is a rifle, 2 mags a bipod and a case.

I am on the wait list for the serbu bfg50a but at this time we are talking about years for delivery. I thought maybe the McMillan could hold me over?
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 9:16:00 PM EDT
[#4]
As I said money wise it seems like a safe bet. I have no idea what the real market value is but a new one has a $11,500 msrp. There's a used one with a Nightforce on gunbroker for 11.5. One auction did complete for $5k so maybe that's the going rate but it was the only one I see.
Link Posted: 4/26/2023 10:51:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Even without the scope, I would buy it.

You don't have to spend north of $1K for a scope to find out if you like it. S.W.F.A. sells the super sniper scopes for around $300, that's more than good enough to get shooting.

https://www.swfa.com/swfa-10x42-ss-30mm-riflescope-105768.html  

Link Posted: 4/30/2023 6:11:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
[b]I am on the wait list for the serbu bfg50a but at this time we are talking about years for delivery
View Quote

Mark really needs to address his ability to fill orders faster.  
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 7:00:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Kalashnikov762:

Mark really needs to address his ability to fill orders faster.  
View Quote

Mark is a very small shop.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 7:23:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By 50cal:

View Quote

I know he is. Still, if he really has 3 years worth of these rifles backordered it might be worth finding a way to fill those orders.

50cal, about how many bfg50a rifles can be produced per month currently?
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 7:27:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Mk-211:
Even without the scope, I would buy it.

You don't have to spend north of $1K for a scope to find out if you like it. S.W.F.A. sells the super sniper scopes for around $300, that's more than good enough to get shooting.

https://www.swfa.com/swfa-10x42-ss-30mm-riflescope-105768.html  

View Quote

I will probably go ahead and get it. I really wanted to go semi auto, but even looking into barrets military purchase program, they want 100 percent payment up front with an 18 month delivery. It's starting to feel like I'm ordering a truck.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 7:01:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By takdriver:

I will probably go ahead and get it. I really wanted to go semi auto, but even looking into barrets military purchase program, they want 100 percent payment up front with an 18 month delivery. It's starting to feel like I'm ordering a truck.
View Quote

Just get one off Gunbroker, that is what I did. I sent a shop an offer and they accepted it. Prices are only going up currently.

Link Posted: 5/1/2023 9:51:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 50cal] [#11]

I know he is. Still, if he really has 3 years worth of these rifles backordered it might be worth finding a way to fill those orders.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 50cal:

Not sure. It's been a few years since I worked there. Not going to throw an arbitrary number out there. Mark is in a new shop now.
I would still be working there if me and the wife didn't want to move back to Tenn so badly. I had a great time working there.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 10:25:38 AM EDT
[#12]
When your backlog runs into years people get mixed feelings. I’ve still never seen one in person so I’m not sure there’s a ton of them out there. The couple people here that have them got them early on.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top