Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/10/2018 4:16:02 PM EDT
I haven’t seen any numbers beyond what Capital Armory and MAC have posted on YouTube. Seems like with both of these it averaged around 126-128dB in long configuration at the muzzle with 147g.

My question is that on SilencerCo’s own website they have it listed at 136dB. Seems like the manufacturer is really conservative?? Any other third party tests besides those I mentioned?
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 5:12:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I don’t know, but I have a Maxim 9 and I’m interested. I’ve read Mac’s meter doesn’t have a milspec rise time and shouldn’t be trusted, but I don’t know. Mac’s at ear results were better in the short configuration and that has me wondering.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 5:15:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Can you screw a second can into it? Can on can?
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 8:56:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I don’t know, but I have a Maxim 9 and I’m interested. I’ve read Mac’s meter doesn’t have a milspec rise time and shouldn’t be trusted, but I don’t know. Mac’s at ear results were better in the short configuration and that has me wondering.
View Quote
That is not unusual for the at ear number to be better with a shorter baffle stack given the decreased back pressure. Or are you saying that gives validity to his meter?
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 9:26:20 PM EDT
[#4]
No it doesn't sound conservative to me.

Ive shot one. Its still pretty damn loud. Id take SiCo's word
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 12:26:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
That is not unusual for the at ear number to be better with a shorter baffle stack given the decreased back pressure. Or are you saying that gives validity to his meter?
View Quote
I’m saying neither. I would like confirm that the Maxim is quieter to the shooter in the short confirmation as that’s how I prefer it, but that confirmation doesn’t (maybe can’t) come from the Mac’s ‘random number generator’ meter, as others call it.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 1:10:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Both MAC and Capital Armory metered very close to the 139dB SiCo rating in short configuration which makes me think they are accurate. Also typically seem to be close with other cans vs manufacturers numbers..just still seems odd to differ 10dB on long configuration.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 1:11:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
No it doesn't sound conservative to me.

Ive shot one. Its still pretty damn loud. Id take SiCo's word
View Quote
Agreed.  The Maxim is a really cool weapon, brings suppressed CCW into the realm of feasible, but it's not particularly quiet.  While I haven't seen one metered in person, I have shot them, and I'd be surprised if it's as low as 136.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 12:09:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 12:31:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Both MAC and Capital Armory metered very close to the 139dB SiCo rating in short configuration which makes me think they are accurate.
View Quote
Two people getting same results does not mean it is accurate

Link Posted: 11/11/2018 1:10:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Any of you in No CO area with a bunch of pistol cans that is interested in sound testing let me know. I have to say my pistol suppressor collection is lacking. I guess I should change that.
So all you manufactures on here please send me your best 9 and 45 cans. I'll do a big pistol can test. Please message me on here or drop me an email for my FFL/SOT
View Quote
A buddy of mine is in Greeley still. We have a small collection: Tirant 9, Osprey 45, Isis 9, wiped DBSD, Maybe he has an Octane too
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 4:56:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Both MAC and Capital Armory metered very close to the 139dB SiCo rating in short configuration which makes me think they are accurate....just still seems odd to differ 10dB on long configuration.
View Quote
How could they be accurate if there’s a 10db spread in long configuration? That makes no sense.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 5:36:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

How could they be accurate if there’s a 10db spread in long configuration? That makes no sense.
View Quote
That’s my point of the thread. They seem to agree on short configuration but huge difference in long. They also meter close with other cans. It’s the biggest spread I’ve seen and many reviews state it comparable to the Omega 9k which is in that 126-128dB range...
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 9:37:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

reviews state it comparable to the Omega 9k which is in that 126-128dB range...
View Quote
Even SiCo has the 9k listed at 131.5, and I'm betting it meters at least 136 with subs if Ray tests it on the Pulse.  The Pulse is more than a little revealing on the innaccuracies of many meters and advertised figures.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 10:06:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 10:14:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I'm guessing it's a typo and should be 126.3.  It doesn't make any sense a 115 is 137.1 and a 147 is 136.3.

136.3 doesn't make sense.  
View Quote
That's a hell of a typo to propagate through all of their Maxim 9 literature, though. You should talk to your SiCo rep and see what's up, including remetering it if necessary.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 10:15:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Any of you in No CO area with a bunch of pistol cans that is interested in sound testing let me know. I have to say my pistol suppressor collection is lacking. I guess I should change that.
So all you manufactures on here please send me your best 9 and 45 cans. I'll do a big pistol can test. Please message me on here or drop me an email for my FFL/SOT
View Quote
Any idea where you will post results when you're done testing?  I know I'll want to read them.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 10:23:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Sometime typos happen and nobody catches it - I work in marketing.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 10:23:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Can you screw a second can into it? Can on can?
View Quote
No, it has a short internal barrel then the baffling. No exterior threading.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 12:18:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 1:12:59 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Call the shop and ask for me. They will transfer you to my cell 303 287 2052 we can set something up.

It doesn't take long to get results sorted. Usually a day or so depending what else we have going on.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A buddy of mine is in Greeley still. We have a small collection: Tirant 9, Osprey 45, Isis 9, wiped DBSD, Maybe he has an Octane too
Call the shop and ask for me. They will transfer you to my cell 303 287 2052 we can set something up.

It doesn't take long to get results sorted. Usually a day or so depending what else we have going on.
Can you please include the Nagant revolver?
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 2:47:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Can you please include the Nagant revolver?
View Quote
I think I have half a box of Ammo. I can do that
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top