Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/2/2018 9:08:51 PM EDT
This is a 2017 Remlin 336Y.  Fit finish and function will allow harvesting blacktails out here plus ring the gong at 100 yards with cast boolits. Cost was $325 after rebate. Great value. Not a JM, but it seems to work without any issues. Definitely modern manufacturing feel vs hand finished. The fit of wood to metal is actually very, very good.  I am impressed.

Used all of the Remlin rebate to pay for threading. Now it is a silent deer killer with my Form1 can (and gong ringer with cast boolits).

Link Posted: 3/3/2018 8:40:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Curious what loads you are using for your gun.
Link Posted: 3/3/2018 7:02:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Did you move the sights back to thread it or was there enough barrel to just straight thread it? Also, who did and how much?
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 12:21:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Look closer he has a barrel extension on the gun.
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 12:25:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Looks great!
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 12:36:02 AM EDT
[#5]
I almost bought a few of those during the rebate period...

Yours looks great!
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 12:37:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Look closer he has a barrel extension on the gun.
View Quote
I think that is a thread protector, not an extension.

Looking at photos on my phone though.
Link Posted: 3/4/2018 10:28:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Did you move the sights back to thread it or was there enough barrel to just straight thread it? Also, who did and how much?
View Quote
Inquiring minds want to know op.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 10:13:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 10:46:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I threaded it.

Didn't have to relocate the sight, we had enough room in front.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Inquiring minds want to know op.
I threaded it.

Didn't have to relocate the sight, we had enough room in front.
Cool. I'll contact you about getting mine done when the time comes.
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 2:20:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Curious what loads you are using for your gun.
View Quote
28gr IMR 3031 under a Lee 170 RNFP BOOLIT.
Also using 7.5gr Trailboss  under said boolit for subsonic loads.
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 2:21:57 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
No relocation of sights.  Using an extension.  Morgan from this site did it. Ask him for a quote.  He is great to deal with!
Link Posted: 3/9/2018 2:25:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I almost bought a few of those during the rebate period...

Yours looks great!
View Quote
The guys at Marlinowners forum really hate on these Remlins. Quality is fine. It's like a cult for JM Marlins there.
Link Posted: 3/10/2018 11:29:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Took it out today.  https://youtu.be/EF-atAK8rYA
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 12:15:45 AM EDT
[#14]
I wish I'd picked one of those up during the rebate. Remlin or not, $325 for a 16" levergun is a good deal.
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 1:15:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I wish I'd picked one of those up during the rebate. Remlin or not, $325 for a 16" levergun is a good deal.
View Quote
I could not pass it up! Honestly, the quality is quite good.
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 1:17:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I could not pass it up! Honestly, the quality is quite good.
View Quote
I'm very glad to hear that! Remington has by and large gotten its act together; I just continue to hear enough stories of occasional disasters making it out to dissuade me from buying sight unseen. If I found one in a store at a good price and could inspect it thoroughly, I'd consider it.
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 6:17:10 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 10:01:25 AM EDT
[#18]
I think I am going to have the same thing done to my 336Y.  However, I just got a replacement back from Marlin.  First one I had would shoot low at 35 yards and could never get enough elevation.  Somehow the barrel was not parallel to the receiver.  Tried two different mounts and two brand new Leupold scopes and had same results.  I will have to make sure this one works before sending in.  Thanks for the thread.
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 12:38:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I think I am going to have the same thing done to my 336Y.  However, I just got a replacement back from Marlin.  First one I had would shoot low at 35 yards and could never get enough elevation.  Somehow the barrel was not parallel to the receiver.  Tried two different mounts and two brand new Leupold scopes and had same results.  I will have to make sure this one works before sending in.  Thanks for the thread.
View Quote
Had a similar issue with the 336Y I bought last year.  I could not get mine on paper at 100 yards.  Turns out it was shooting about a foot high above point of aim at 100 yards.  I sent it back and the new one shoots just fine.  However, the first rifle had the laminate stocks...which was the main reason I bought it in the first place.  The replacement rifle Marlin sent me has plain walnut stocks.
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 3:59:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Dang,
Sorry about the problems.

Sounds like Remlin is making it right?  I never tried the iron sights out much, just a function check, but I was able to get bullseye at 25 yd and called it good.  Sent it to Morgan for threading and put it all back together.

I am using a small 20mm scope and just sighted it in and was getting about 1 MOA accuracy at 100 yards.  However, when I put my can on, I had a POI shift of 4" high and to the right.  I was then trying to dial in the group with the can and kept over compensating (too low then too far to the left and ran out of ammo!)   However, I have a group with the can that is easily .75 MOA! I will take it.  I was hoping for just 2 MOA!  This is with 28gr IMR 3031 under a LEE RNFP gas checked boolit.

Quoted:

Had a similar issue with the 336Y I bought last year.  I could not get mine on paper at 100 yards.  Turns out it was shooting about a foot high above point of aim at 100 yards.  I sent it back and the new one shoots just fine.  However, the first rifle had the laminate stocks...which was the main reason I bought it in the first place.  The replacement rifle Marlin sent me has plain walnut stocks.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 11:09:22 PM EDT
[#21]
I was using an extension and decided to just use the busing adapter that goes from my 5/8x24 can to 1/2x28.  By trimming off about .100" from the front sight and hood, I was able to make enough clearance.  The extension was adding about 1.25" and now that is gone.

Will take take the rig out again and see if I can zero with the can and shoot for some groups.  After that, ring gongs and then hunting this fall!

image by J M, on Flickr

image by J M, on Flickr
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 11:21:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

It's like a cult for JM Marlins there.
View Quote
I had a Glenfield with a JM stamp cerakoted in Armor Black from head to toe. How crazy do you think that would drive the Fudds?

ETA: Sweet rig, OP!
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 8:35:41 PM EDT
[#23]
My Remiln 336Y is on it's way home from Morgan. I bought it last year during the rebate with the plan to thread it, you pushed me to get it done finally.
 I wonder if the iron sights are usable with the suppressor. I have a Specwar 762 now but the Sandman K in jail will be much shorter and lighter.
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 11:03:16 PM EDT
[#24]
The iron sights were barely blocked with my 1.5" OD form1 can. I actually could have probably shot through the can but ended up with a scope instead.

I would definitely take it out and try it when it comes back.

Quoted:
My Remiln 336Y is on it's way home from Morgan. I bought it last year during the rebate with the plan to thread it, you pushed me to get it done finally.
 I wonder if the iron sights are usable with the suppressor. I have a Specwar 762 now but the Sandman K in jail will be much shorter and lighter.
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/17/2018 5:52:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Hey guys...got some bad news for me.  Just got hit with over $1400+ of medical bills.  It is unbelievable when I saw the bill for two different procedures. Trying to come up with some cash now. Insurance is almost worthless with Obummer care now.  Only if my bills are in the thousands does my insurance kick in.  Anyways, thinking of letting go of this toy as I have my grandfathers 30-30 for hunting will not sell that one..... Trying to get what I got into it out, but will take less.  I'll post something on EE, but thought someone here might be interested?
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 2:15:36 AM EDT
[#26]
I'm really sorry to hear that

If you'd asked that question in a few months, I'd be very interested. Right now, I'm not sure I can justify the expenditure.
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 3:42:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Just had a thought cross my mind. Are these still the old Marlin "Microgroove," rifled barrels?

If so, how well does the Microgroove handle cast lead bullets?

I've got both 30-30 and 35 chambered guns.
Link Posted: 3/18/2018 4:44:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Just had a thought cross my mind. Are these still the old Marlin "Microgroove," rifled barrels?

If so, how well does the Microgroove handle cast lead bullets?

I've got both 30-30 and 35 chambered guns.
View Quote
Microgroove works quite well with cast bullets. You'll just want to use something harder than pure lead - water-quenched wheel weights have given me good results. Sizing a thousandth or two over will help, too.
Link Posted: 5/3/2018 5:59:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Wish I’d seen this awhile back.

What stock ammo holder is that?  I was worried most might be too large for the youth size stock.
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 9:42:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
This is a 2017 Remlin 336Y.  Fit finish and function will allow harvesting blacktails out here plus ring the gong at 100 yards with cast boolits. Great value. Not a JM, but it seems to work without any issues. Definitely modern manufacturing feel vs hand finished. The fit of wood to metal is actually very, very good.  I am impressed.
View Quote
My 336Y was built in Dec.2015. It's fit and finish are excellent, better than my JM 1895 ABL, built in 2008. I bought mine before the rebates and paid $425 from Bud's Guns. Only mod,so far, is a black Browning horsehair sling but when I get around to it, I plan on a trigger job and smoothing the action a little more.
Ranger Point Precision, in TX, sells a picatinny rail and bigger loop lever that I want.

336Y's are really short and compact rifles.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top