Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2019 6:24:04 PM EDT
Was at gunstore I haven't been in for a few months checking out if there was anything interesting around, found a old Glenfield 75c for $99. Looked to be in decent shape, had a scope on it, tasco but it didn't look too cheesy. No bolt lock open so if I read correctly, it's a pre 85 (or was it 82) production gun. Was tempted to pick it up but wanted to look into it a bit.
I noticed while cycling the action, the bolt was kinda sluggish to get into battery, even when drawn fully to the rear and let go as if charging it, would stay maybe 3/8 of a inch open.
Is this a thing with model 60's when there isn't ammo in the gun or is it got a bad recoil spring? My concern is less about $3 springs and more that the receiver might've gotten beat up since it's a simple blowback gun, if the recoil spring is worn out badly it'd be impacting the back of the receiver harder than it should causing excessive wear. Perhaps might seem like an asinine question to some, but even if it's only $99 I don't like gambling.
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 9:46:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Probably never been cleaned. Price is ok, maybe a little high.
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 11:21:24 PM EDT
[#2]
They have a recoil buffer to keep the bolt from impacting the receiver. The older ones are brittle hard plastic and all the used ones I have bought needed replaced. The new ones are $10 and more like a hard rubber. Chances are that needs replaced but I bet the receiver is fine. Also a lot of owners bend the recoil spring taking the bolt out or putting it back in.

They are a pretty reliable design when kept somewhat clean and lubed. Chances are it is hanging up because it's dry or needs a good cleaning. A well worn older one might need the feedramp/cartridge lifter replaced. Old ones were 3 piece, new ones are better. Old ones do not have LRBHO, but if you push in on the charging handle it manually locks the bolt open.

New model 60's are $147 at Wal-Mart, if a $100 used one needs many parts it's not far off.
Link Posted: 1/7/2019 12:59:02 AM EDT
[#3]
I'll go back in the next few days and take a second look. Perhaps it might be worth getting a new one, but the "it's only $50 more" slippery slope is a mean one. Knowing how things work it'd probably end up with me getting a 10/22 takedown with a magpul backpacker stock and up 4.5 times the cost of the original only $100 impulse buy gun
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 8:03:07 AM EDT
[#4]
The first rifle I bought at 13 years old from Woolco was a Glenfield 75C.  It acted the same, sluggish bolt operation.   Has never successfully fired the 9 shot tube magazine.   FTF and FTE, jammomatic.  Still have it, going to turn it into a lamp, at least it will serve a useful purpose.
Link Posted: 1/11/2019 2:16:31 PM EDT
[#5]
When .22 was hard to get and expensive as hell I bought up (stole basically) I think a dozen .22 rifles people could not feed. Half of those are marlins and a glenfield. I doubt any of them had been cleaned other than maybe the barrels and had problems right off the bat when test firing. Disassembly, cleaning, and replacing the ejector/lifter spring and 2 of them needed new buffers and they run fine. They jam, like most .22s do, once in a while but they are my favorite general use .22 semi auto rifles. I love when people bash marlins/glenfields and generally hate on them. Makes prices go lower for those of us that know how to take care of .22s and collect them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top