Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/19/2018 5:33:52 PM EDT
I think this would be a decent rifle to bring home as a casual shooter.  Serial number is 2224xx so it should date to about 1901 I think.  Long octagonal barrel.  Large silver-colored blade up front and a buckhorn rear sight.  The barrel retains most of its blue while the receiver and magazine tube are nearly gray.  Not sure if this indicates a rebarrel or a refinished barrel, or if someone just vigorously scrubbed the tube and receiver.  The action seems to cycle smoothly.  The bore looks pretty good.  There may be some roughness in it, or it may be leading.  I would estimate that it is shootable anyway.

Barrel is marked "special smokeless steel".  Crescent butt.  Full length magazine.

The wood is fairly dark and overall in pretty good shape.  There is one crack that I saw in the left side wrist where it meets the receiver.  Looks like it was glued some time back.

Sorry, no pics.  But by description, does that sound fair for $600?  They are holding it for me until the end of the day.  Thanks!

Rob
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 12:13:17 AM EDT
[#1]
I bought it.  It was at Cabelas and had only come out a day or two ago.  No negotiating or price drops until they've been on the floor at least 45 days.  I don't think this would have lasted that long at all.  Did save $18 by using a gift card I had paid less for.

The butt is not a crescent but a gentle curve with a plastic or horn buttplate.  Not completely flat either (what I think would be called a "shotgun" butt).

There are actually very faint traces of the case colors on the receiver with some decent color in the protected areas (tang under the lever, sides of the lever, top of the bolt, etc.).

I was able to run an undersize .35 cal bore snake down it in the store and even that cleaned up the bore a bit and it looks like it is in pretty darn good shape.  Pictures laters.

Rob
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 12:18:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Great find!!
Great cartridge!!
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 12:19:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Awesome find!

Pics?
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 12:21:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Great find!!
Great cartridge!!
View Quote
I have one in a Winchester .
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 12:37:39 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I have one in a Winchester .
View Quote
At one point in time I had new brass,bullets and dies ....never found a rifle at a reasonable price.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 12:43:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

At one point in time I had new brass,bullets and dies ....never found a rifle at a reasonable price.
View Quote
I had all that and found I didn't shoot it enough .
It really a beautiful rifle , a Crazy Horse that i got for a song .
it would make a fine deer rifle but I heard black bear hunters like the caliber .
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 1:31:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Pics:

Rob
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 1:40:29 PM EDT
[#8]
i like the sights on it . looks good to me
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 2:05:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Good buy.
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 2:46:05 PM EDT
[#10]
It's there a star on one of the tangs? It indicates that the Smith who assembled it was very pleased, better than average. Nice find!
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 2:47:16 PM EDT
[#11]
NICE!!!!, 38-55 is a great old caliber,you'll need to slug the barrel to determine the actual bore size.In this rifle "size does matter".

Don't try to hot rod it good old lead slugs work just fine,Unique or Clays powder works works good. A tang sight will help ya shoot it waaaay out there.

I have a Marlin cowboy 38-55 and until I slugged it and got the right bullets it was awful,after I got the right slug for it. it has become very accurate.

It will be a great adventure,enjoy
Link Posted: 5/20/2018 4:18:22 PM EDT
[#12]
She's beautiful!   Congrats!
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 12:36:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Picked up this at the gun show Sunday.  Not a full box, so not a true collectible ammo box.  Has 18 rounds in it, though, and the box is in very nice shape.

Rob
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 2:20:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Get it!!!
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 3:26:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It's there a star on one of the tangs? It indicates that the Smith who assembled it was very pleased, better than average. Nice find!
View Quote
Would that be under the woodline?
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 7:46:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Nice rifle!
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 9:05:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Very cool.  It's a great cartridge.
Link Posted: 5/21/2018 9:12:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Glad you got it . As the other poster stated slug the barrel and get the correct size bullet as barrels sizes vary .
Link Posted: 5/25/2018 1:55:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Commenting late on this one. That's a good rifle for a good price. I've been half-heartedly looking for a shooter for a while with no luck.

The wear on yours is honest wear. The receiver was case colored originally and that comes off fairly easily with moderate use. Bore cleaners will strip it off in short order. Notice how the color is still in the receiver tang under the lever. Not much touching goes on in that area. The blue on the magazine tube tends to be a little thinner so probably between going in and out of a gun sleeve and handling you get the wear on yours. Notice its more towards the muzzle where it would get more drag contact with a sleeve.

She's a beaut.
Link Posted: 5/26/2018 5:52:20 PM EDT
[#20]
You got yourself a real keeper.  Welcome to the hyphenation.  Now comes the fun part: working up a good load.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top