Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/15/2021 5:52:23 PM EDT
Anyone have one? Can't find much info on them. Appears they were made for 2 years, 00,01?

Looking for more info if anyone has or has shot one.
Link Posted: 8/15/2021 8:55:52 PM EDT
[#1]
My nephew had one years ago. He sold it for 300 bucks, but that was all it was worth then. I have a 357P. Had it for nearly 20 years. Like new. Great shooter but loud. Excellent truck, combine, and camp gun. Value now is approaching 2000 dollars. A 44 comes up on GB every now and then. Better have deep pockets.
Link Posted: 8/20/2021 5:40:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I had one and it shot minute of paper plate with most store bought 44.  The difference in POA to POI would change as much as 12" of elevation at 75 yards from one bullet weight to another.

I handloaded for it later on and it was okayish.  Think 3 to 4" at 100yds with a 4x scope.

I sold it a few years back for about twice what I paid for it after I bought a 444P from the same era.
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 9:13:14 AM EDT
[#3]
I had to do some looking online to know what model you were talking about. It looks like it has a 16.5 inch ported barrel.
Never knew they even made one of those. Not my cup of tea, but everyone has their likes.
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 9:56:51 AM EDT
[#4]
Had one. Pretty gun and felt good in the hands. Absolute dog shit in accuracy. They have a cult following so I sold it and made out well.
The porting was neat but had no real effect.  Nice gun to look at but just didn’t measure up in the areas that matters to me.

Now, I have a Henry carbine and couldn’t be happier with accuracy and overall function.
Link Posted: 8/21/2021 10:22:01 AM EDT
[#5]
My Marlin lever collection includes one of each these:

1894CP ported .357
1894P ported .44
444P ported .444

All JM stamped of course.  

I’m planning to put all three of the ported levers, along with some of my other lever rifles, mostly Marlin but with a Winchester and a Rossi mixed in, up for sale on GB - just haven’t gotten around to it yet.  

Link Posted: 8/21/2021 11:50:09 PM EDT
[#6]
I’ve got mine set up with XS rear peep site and a Williams Firedot fiber optic front post and a Leopoldo Scout Scope on Warn QR rings. Also has Wild West Guns picatinny rail mounted to the magazine tube for nighttime pig hunting. One day I’ll get the action smoothed up and trigger slicked up.??

With Magtec 240gr soft point she’s good for a 5” or less group at 100y. With Leverloution 225gr she groups about 3” at 100y. Also the POI /POA change was about 3’ up at 100y.

I love her for stalking & ground hunting in tight areas we have in the SE.
Link Posted: 8/22/2021 12:45:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Had one for a while til I got my Ruger 96/44. Hate to say the Ruger shot circles around that Marlin. So I still have the Ruger and the Marlin is long gone. Heck I could out shoot that Marlin with my S&W 629. Did make a killing when I sold it, LMAO.

I'd buy a Henry X in 44mag instead of a Marlin at the prices they bring now.

Who knows what Ruger will be coming out with now that they own Marlin.
Link Posted: 8/23/2021 10:01:23 PM EDT
[#8]
I have one of the ported .45-70 SS Guide Guns from that era. I didn’t realize that people sought ought the ported ones. Around the time I got it, it seemed like people complained about the noise, and then they quit making the ported GGs just a year or two later.
Link Posted: 9/4/2021 6:09:02 PM EDT
[#9]
I bought one new.  Very fun gun.  I haven't shot it in years, though.

Link Posted: 9/4/2021 6:48:06 PM EDT
[#10]
I own one, they are fun. They are accurate enough to deer hunt with.

I used to use mine in 2-gun Action steel matches. I down loaded the rounds with Bullseye and it was a hoot. Even with mild loads it would whack the hell out of the plates, I never had one NOT fall when hit.

The porting does nothing for muzzle rise or recoil mitigation.

Oh by the way, with typical off the shelf 240gr full house loads, she kicks a wee bit, just saying.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top