Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/31/2021 11:18:30 PM EDT
What do you guys use to mark your muzzle devices to ensure they aren't twisting loose during shooting?  Does whiteout or nail polish work, or do you use something different to withstand the high temperatures?
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 4:27:38 AM EDT
[#1]
White paint pen, which I use to witness mark most of the critical clamping interfaces (bbl nuts, optic mounts, etc).

The color will fade a but over time but I've never had to re-apply it on any of my muzzle devices, including those that have seen a ton of suppressed fire.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 6:13:02 AM EDT
[#2]
If it moves, you’ll see it, and no way it will make a full rotation and still be tight enough that you can’t wiggle/rotate by hand.

It’s a non-issue.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 10:20:02 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't, but I manly use the Smith Vortex which keeps itself tight just from shooting.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 10:36:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If it moves, you'll see it, and no way it will make a full rotation and still be tight enough that you can't wiggle/rotate by hand.

It's a non-issue.
View Quote
I'm with this - if you are paying close enough attention to check marks, I'd think you would notice if the device itself was rotating. Rocksett and torque, and you won't have to worry in the first place.

That said, I used a silver Sharpie to mark barrel and gas block for an install about a year and a half ago, and when I was working on the gun last week I noticed the marks had held up through a lot of hard use, rain, mud, etc. Granted that's under the handguard but a simple sharpie mark will probably do what you need.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 11:13:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm with this - if you are paying close enough attention to check marks, I'd think you would notice if the device itself was rotating. Rocksett and torque, and you won't have to worry in the first place.

That said, I used a silver Sharpie to mark barrel and gas block for an install about a year and a half ago, and when I was working on the gun last week I noticed the marks had held up through a lot of hard use, rain, mud, etc. Granted that's under the handguard but a simple sharpie mark will probably do what you need.
View Quote

Hell, I’m using shims and anti seize, very minimal torque. That’s begging to come off. Still on there.

I don’t think I’ve ever heard of a properly installed muzzle device coming loose.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 2:17:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Hell, I'm using shims and anti seize, very minimal torque. That's begging to come off. Still on there.

I don't think I've ever heard of a properly installed muzzle device coming loose.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hell, I'm using shims and anti seize, very minimal torque. That's begging to come off. Still on there.

I don't think I've ever heard of a properly installed muzzle device coming loose.
Anti-seize? And they still stay put? That's funny stuff. I do rocksett, they're stuck good but easy enough to remove when you decide to.

And I agree with you, never seen or even heard of one coming off.
Link Posted: 4/1/2021 6:44:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Antisieze doesn’t make stuff come loose on it’s own, but it does make it get tighter when applying torque. Look into lubricated vs dry threading.

I put them on gutentight, no problem.

Never had a lugnut, flange, etc come loose from antisieze either.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 2:11:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Torque it down correctly, and there's no reason it should loosen.

We've been doing threaded fasteners for a long time now. It's not rocket science.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 9:23:00 PM EDT
[#9]
I’ve never had a flash hider loosen
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 2:31:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 4:18:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top