Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 16
Posted: 10/11/2022 3:14:21 AM EDT
It took a while, but I'm seeing 9mm case quantities sitting and not moving like before.  And I'm seeing primers starting to sit.  You can get SPP now for 8 cents a primer DELIVERED and they aren't selling out.   PSA and other Primer production isn't even on-line at full production yet.   My own thought's sit tight a bit longer, and I suspect 6 cent primers are only a few more months out.

Just my own hunch.  Curious how others are reading the tea-leaves.  

(Feel free to dump this into GD if desired).
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 3:57:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Supply is starting to meet demand.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 6:22:58 AM EDT
[#2]
I think you are spot on
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 6:35:13 AM EDT
[#3]
The shortage is working its way out.

I am also excited that a $100 million dollar investment is being made to manufacture primers and ammunition in Texas. Expansion Industries or Expansion Ammunition is the name.

I am just happy that there will be someone new with some competition in the market for the other manufactures of primers.
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 6:55:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Powder seems to be staying in stock a little longer, and with more varieties available at a given time, too.
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 7:34:22 AM EDT
[#5]
the new normal price will still be 2-3 x the old normal price
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 7:46:23 AM EDT
[#6]
I haven’t seen SPP for 8 cents each delivered yet. I think we will see 55-75 cent primers in the next 12 months though.

When you see cases of 9mm and 223 on sale at your local gun store just sit there is when you will see primers be widely available.

Buy it cheap and stack it deep. I’m probably going in for 20,000 SPP and another 15,000 SRP
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 7:58:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ZA206:
primers in the next 12 months though.

Buy it cheap and stack it deep.
View Quote

Spot on

I’m thinking another 2 years to stabilize with prices and have large quantities on the selves. This will only happen if the party in dc is removed.
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 8:24:24 AM EDT
[#8]
The end of the match season is here. I'll stock up around Dec if i can find it.
I'd love 45.oo a thousand again ! Looks like 80 a thou is t the new norm.
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 8:31:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By lazyengineer:
It took a while, but I'm seeing 9mm case quantities sitting and not moving like before.  And I'm seeing primers starting to sit.  You can get SPP now for 8 cents a primer DELIVERED and they aren't selling out.   PSA and other Primer production isn't even on-line at full production yet.   My own thought's sit tight a bit longer, and I suspect 6 cent primers are only a few more months out.

Just my own hunch.  Curious how others are reading the tea-leaves.  

(Feel free to dump this into GD if desired).
View Quote

I feel it too. I really need cars to do the same thing.
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 8:36:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 8:45:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By d16man:
And AAC (PSA) doesn't have their primer plant as a player in the game.....yet.
View Quote
from past threads they don't plan to sell primers to reloaders, only use them in their own ammo
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 8:46:17 AM EDT
[#12]
I said in the team reloading component thread months ago that primers "should" settle out at about .05. The days of 2-3 cent primers are over just because of inflation and the cost of materials to make them. I still can't find them in my area and I'm not paying .10-.12 for primers when I can buy loaded ammo for reasonable prices.
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 8:57:30 AM EDT
[#13]
I hope you are correct and our idiot does not goat the other idiot into something that causes all ammo related stuff to go back up.

I have not seen 8 cent delivered primers anywhere.
Where do you see what seems more like a unicorn to most of us?
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 9:15:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Idk where you are getting this, I havnt seen Winchester SPP in nearly 3 years. I’m down to my last 600 and that’s it. People who have no life and sit on websites until In stock to buy 40-50k at a time really ruin it for everyone else. Every gun show I’m at, usually a waste of time btw, has no reasonably priced primers but Is full of fudds talking up thier 100k+ primer collection they will never use.
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 9:19:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Hope you are right but I will believe it when I see it. All it takes is 1 new major event to happen for people will lose their minds again and buy up everything in stock.
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 9:29:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By 1168RGR:
Powder seems to be staying in stock a little longer, and with more varieties available at a given time, too.
View Quote

I have noticed powder hanging around a lot longer now too.  These pics are from September 30th:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Now, if the prices would just come down.

Link Posted: 10/11/2022 9:29:52 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm with OP. Hang the fuck in there a little while longer if you can make it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 9:33:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WeimaranerDad] [#18]
Originally Posted By Crash1433:
I said in the team reloading component thread months ago that primers "should" settle out at about .05. The days of 2-3 cent primers are over just because of inflation and the cost of materials to make them. I still can't find them in my area and I'm not paying .10-.12 for primers when I can buy loaded ammo for reasonable prices.
View Quote

The same place that had the powder also has some primers:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

EDIT:  at  those pistol and rifle primer prices, I ain’t buying.

If I really got a shooting itch that bad, that’s what .22LR conversions are for.

Link Posted: 10/11/2022 9:45:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 9:59:11 AM EDT
[#20]

That is my understanding as they get started.  I seem to remember it is down the line, but I could be wrong.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AssaultRifler:
from past threads they don't plan to sell primers to reloaders, only use them in their own ammo

That is my understanding as they get started.  I seem to remember it is down the line, but I could be wrong.

Primers are fungible.  Doesn't matter if AAC refuses to sell a single one; once they start hitting the market with an influx of primer capacity even if only in the form of ammo, it will free up primer production from those who do.

As to pricing and availability, this forum moderation prohibits discussion outside of the Where To Find thread. Which has some of the current primer deals mentioned in it, but not the best ones actually.  And no, a particular favored US brand on the shelf at the local store or typical mainstream source isn't going to show up yet, and especially not at the price we want.  But the international ones at other sources are showing up, and those used to auto-sell instantly up to just a month or two ago. Now they are almost 20% cheaper already, and are still sitting on the shelf.  That's a very encouraging canary (well, sort of - it's also an indicator of people having to prioritize food over hobby, but that's another conversation).  For those just looking for bang-cups by the 5000 count order, those at 6 cents a piece may not be that far out.  Maybe as early as the front end of 2023.  CCI 1000 count boxed primers at Cabellas will be slower.
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 10:03:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#21]
Originally Posted By WeimaranerDad:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/369122/34AC29F2-1C7A-4A77-AAF4-370887C006DA_jpe-2559367.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/369122/34325EF9-E4DA-4600-8AD0-9CEA251F4F0F_jpe-2559368.JPG

If I really got a shooting itch that bad, that’s what .22LR conversions are for.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By WeimaranerDad:
Originally Posted By Crash1433:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/369122/34AC29F2-1C7A-4A77-AAF4-370887C006DA_jpe-2559367.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/369122/34325EF9-E4DA-4600-8AD0-9CEA251F4F0F_jpe-2559368.JPG

The shotgun primers in that photo are 7.5 cents a piece, and that's brick and mortor retail on the shelf in 1000 count boxes still in 2022.   And that's the larger more involved shotgun primers.   The metallic cartridge primers in that photo are priced much more expensive, but if anything the shotgun primers have the higher cost of manufacture.

Yea, just sit - because this is about to bust open, is MHO.   The longer we sit, the better it will get.
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 10:50:07 AM EDT
[#22]

The shotgun primers in that photo are 7.5 cents a piece, and that's brick and mortor retail on the shelf in 1000 count boxes still in 2022.   And that's the larger more involved shotgun primers.   The metallic cartridge primers in that photo are priced much more expensive, but if anything the shotgun primers have the higher cost of manufacture.

Yea, just sit - because this is about to bust open, is MHO.   The longer we sit, the better it will get.
View Quote

There is another  “local” gun store about 45 minutes (39 miles) away from that one that sells the Cheddite 209 shotgun primers for $60 per brick of 1,000 .

It would take me about $16.73 in gasoline (at Illinois prices)  to get there and back.

So if I am going  way over there, it’s usually for something else.  Or I am going to buy more than just one brick of Cheddites.

Link Posted: 10/11/2022 10:59:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 11B3XCIB] [#23]
Originally Posted By ZA206:
I haven’t seen SPP for 8 cents each delivered yet. I think we will see 55-75 cent primers in the next 12 months though.

When you see cases of 9mm and 223 on sale at your local gun store just sit there is when you will see primers be widely available.

Buy it cheap and stack it deep. I’m probably going in for 20,000 SPP and another 15,000 SRP
View Quote

Yup.  Things might be looking good but I’m not positive they’ll actually get better in the long run.

As much as I want BR4s, $165 for a thousand before HAZMAT really stings.

I need to pack away a ton of CCI #400s and #200s but in SC, it’s still online only…especially in this area
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 1:08:42 PM EDT
[#24]
Link to smol pp?

I'm about out.
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 1:13:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By RandyBroshankle:
Link to smol pp?

I'm about out.
View Quote

Forum mod won't let that be posted here - but there are some in the Where To Find thread tacked at the top, on the last page.
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 1:44:00 PM EDT
[#26]
I do agree stuff is back on most shelves but I haven't seen prices down at all.
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 2:26:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 2:37:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 3:05:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MarkBinSC] [#29]
On a similar note, Winchester is advertising 20% rebates on 7.62x51, 300 BO, 5.56 and .223 ammo.

Of course retail prices are higher than they used to be, but one year ago you could hardly find this ammo.

Just another sign that the ammo market is coming back into supply & demand balance.

https://winchester.com/Rebates/Centerfire-Rifle-Ammunition-Rebate
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 3:07:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Donut777donut] [#30]
Originally Posted By MarkBinSC:
On a similar note, Winchester is advertising 20% rebates on 7.62x51, 300 BO, 5.56 and .223 ammo.

Of course retail prices are higher than they used to be, but one year ago you could hardly find this ammo.

Just another sign that the ammo market is coming back into supply & demand balance.

https://winchester.com/Rebates/Centerfire-Rifle-Ammunition-Rebate
View Quote

Please don’t get this thread locked.

There are other threads for that.
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 3:34:14 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By dryflash3:
@lazyengineer

It's true if you post a WTF primer thread it will get locked.

But this thread is a good discussion of primer prices and as such, go ahead and post hot links to good primer prices.

We have always encouraged links in discussion threads, but like noted a lazy WTF thread gets locked.

Good thread OP, I hope your prediction is correct.

Note to folks that ran low on primers, when the price stabilizes, that will be the time to stack deep. Don't put it off.

Then you can ride the next shortage out. Same with powder.

View All Quotes

Forum mod won't let that be posted here - but there are some in the Where To Find thread tacked at the top, on the last page.
@lazyengineer

It's true if you post a WTF primer thread it will get locked.

But this thread is a good discussion of primer prices and as such, go ahead and post hot links to good primer prices.

We have always encouraged links in discussion threads, but like noted a lazy WTF thread gets locked.

Good thread OP, I hope your prediction is correct.

Note to folks that ran low on primers, when the price stabilizes, that will be the time to stack deep. Don't put it off.

Then you can ride the next shortage out. Same with powder.

Roger that.

And

Originally Posted By Donut777donut:
https://americanreloading.com/484-primers

DING!  8 cent primers in the American Reloading link someone posted 2 posts above.  Though, kind of the whole point of this - please don't rush out and run them out just yet.  If you're out and need some, there you go; but this isn't the time to replenish beyond near-term needs.
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 4:13:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 4:33:20 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By truedef:

I am also excited that a $100 million dollar investment is being made to manufacture primers and ammunition in Texas. Expansion Industries or Expansion Ammunition is the name.

I am just happy that there will be someone new with some competition in the market for the other manufactures of primers.
View Quote

I believe its Aguila, who has facilities in Texas and Mexico.  

For reloading though, wishing powder availability up and prices waaaay down is too much to hope for
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 4:40:45 PM EDT
[#34]
The local indoor range is over stocked with 9MM that if you join their membership program and pay for the whole year you get a case of 9MMX19 ammo....Wish I was not already a member.

It would be nice of Fiocchi to make primers in the US.  It would be nice if Sig would make primers....

Hornady should of bought up Remington instead of Vista Outdoor.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 4:47:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Purchased a box of cci 350@100/k today on midway

First cci primers I’ve had a chance to buy in a year.  

Hope you are right op.
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 4:49:24 PM EDT
[#36]
Locally it’s still around 100/k at the one place that does have them. Bass pro never gets them in, but when they do it’s about 89/k on srp and spp. The other place has had primers sitting there for a while because no one wants to buy at 100/k for cci 400s.
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 6:38:43 PM EDT
[#37]

View Quote

At this point Expansion Industries is all hat and no cattle. To date they have not produced primer one and chosen vendors who have pre-listed the product on their websites (among them Southern Defense) have posted to their sites that they don't expect any of these primers until Summer of 2023.

Again I'll believe it when I see it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 6:45:11 PM EDT
[#38]
I bought 50K primers at .02-cents apiece years ago from a guy who was selling out, combination of LP, SP, LR and SR plus all of his reloading stuff.

Still sitting on about 45K. One day my kids will have them.
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 7:03:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Kaptainkoolz:
Idk where you are getting this, I havnt seen Winchester SPP in nearly 3 years. I’m down to my last 600 and that’s it. People who have no life and sit on websites until In stock to buy 40-50k at a time really ruin it for everyone else. Every gun show I’m at, usually a waste of time btw, has no reasonably priced primers but Is full of fudds talking up thier 100k+ primer collection they will never use.
View Quote

???

I just ordered some a few days ago from Reloading Unlimited.  No link as they are OOS now.
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 7:11:41 PM EDT
[#40]
I’ve been paying $80-$90/1000 for various primers since all the shenanigans started. Capital Cartridge has had Ginex primers for $450/5000 delivered for months now. Midway and Brownell’s get them regularly. I just picked up some Aguila small pistol primers from Midsouth 2 weeks ago.Primers are out there gents. Even at over double the price it’s still cheaper to reload for everything I shoot.
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 8:07:13 PM EDT
[#41]
I sure hope so.

As long as I get to the point where I could go to my local bass pro and pick up a brick anytime I want. Even if it gets to .08 we're headed in the right direction. It pains me to see prices at .10 and up.

I'm seeing factory ammo for popular calibers on the shelf regularly in my area. Powders are popping up more often. Primers sometimes in stock.

So, it could only get better from here right?

Link Posted: 10/11/2022 8:09:22 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By ThePontificator:

At this point Expansion Industries is all hat and no cattle. To date they have not produced primer one and chosen vendors who have pre-listed the product on their websites (among them Southern Defense) have posted to their sites that they don't expect any of these primers until Summer of 2023.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ThePontificator:

TBH, I'm not sure what is going on with that project.  It sounds like a large capital project being set up in the area as Red River Army Depot, and we've been hearing about it for what... 2 years now?  They apparently raised 9 figures for the project, and did press releases.  But as of yet, I've seen all of nothing.  Meanwhile, PSA is claiming they are already producing primers for their ammo line internally, and that start to operations was on the order of.. well.. fast.  I guess I can't be too hasty to judge, but i will say whoever is project managing this, is loosing a staggering amount of premium sales every month they delay.  They are also nearing the end of the windfall window.  They'll still do great, but imagine where they would be if they got this project completed 6 months ago.  They don't even need to worry about distribution; the could literally put a card-board sign out along the road, and cars would line up for miles if they had 6 cent primers for sale.  Or they could get a pilot-line running and selling for 10 cents at a much smaller quantity, and still be selling out instantly for the last 6 months.
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 8:44:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: pokey074] [#43]
Stopped by a local-ish place the other day. CCI SPP for $80/1K, probably 10K in stock. Look to be the same primers that were there over a year ago. Yeah, I'm not paying that, and apparently others aren't either. I'll give up reloading before I pay that much.
Link Posted: 10/11/2022 9:49:37 PM EDT
[#44]
When a variety of large rifle magnum primers become available again I'm going in deep.

Frankly I don't care if they are $80/k vs. $50... I'm not getting caught with an insufficient supply of "niche" primers again.

My old thought process was they are so low use that a couple thousand will last me years. Well, it's been years.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 12:20:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: green_bullet] [#45]
$100/k primers still makes sense if shooting volume.

9mm 147gr is 25cpr (12c bullet, 10c primer, 3c powder charge) compared to...well nvm... as low as 32cpr, probably 35cpr shipped. Shooting 10k rounds might save you $1k

223 is 37cpr (12c bullet, 10c primer, 18c powder charge), and it can be bought new for that much shipped.

But during the pandemic, 9mm was 50cpr and 223 was 80cpr, at least.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 2:37:25 AM EDT
[#46]
We’re having a shortage of Euro made powder and primers due to the Ukraine conflict, but I am seeing a decent variety of American primers.

Never did see many European primers versus American here.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 8:56:21 AM EDT
[#47]

Roger that.

And

DING!  8 cent primers in the American Reloading link someone posted 2 posts above.  Though, kind of the whole point of this - please don't rush out and run them out just yet.  If you're out and need some, there you go; but this isn't the time to replenish beyond near-term needs.
View Quote

Are those Turkish primers comparable to say CCI and Federal Match for loading precision ammo?

I am glad there’s a cheaper alternative for sub 10 cents per primer so hopefully that can alleviate some of the demand for the “known quantity” primers like CCI
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 8:57:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SteelonSteel] [#48]
Originally Posted By lokifox:
When a variety of large rifle magnum primers become available again I'm going in deep.

Frankly I don't care if they are $80/k vs. $50... I'm not getting caught with an insufficient supply of "niche" primers again.

My old thought process was they are so low use that a couple thousand will last me years. Well, it's been years.
View Quote

That is one category I am short in too.  That said my .300 magnum load with RL 22 uses standard LR primers.  It is more accurate than it has a right to be.  One day I will have to work up another load as I migrate away from Nosler ballistic tips in it. When I do I would likely use magnum rifle primers as extra insurance.

I got a bunch of CCI pistol primers and LR GMM last time post Obummer when they had excess enough to run rebates.  I haz options.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 10:10:29 AM EDT
[#49]
In Louisiana Academy Sporting Goods (various) has had primers in stock fairly regularly for the last couple of months. Federal GMM 9.99/100  CCI 400 6.99/100.  They did have a limit of 400.  Went I went last weekend there were no limits.  So ~$70 +tax-- $76.90 out the door for 1000 CCI 400.
Link Posted: 10/12/2022 10:21:17 AM EDT
[#50]
@MarkBinSC

This is not a thread on ammo.

Factory ammo is off topic in this forum anyway.

Please stick to primer discussion.
View Quote

Sorry about that. You can delete my comment if you want to.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 16
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top