Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/29/2021 10:04:58 AM EDT
Planning a sabbatical to go a few months on the road RVing this fall/winter. Bringing my NFA "primary" rifle is a want but not a need I guess. Still sketching everything out so nothing locked in at this point. Are there any resources out there that cater to a sort of at-a-glance view of what states are NFA friendly, bonus points for mag limits and things like that?
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 10:29:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 10:33:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Planning a sabbatical to go a few months on the road RVing this fall/winter. Bringing my NFA "primary" rifle is a want but not a need I guess. Still sketching everything out so nothing locked in at this point. Are there any resources out there that cater to a sort of at-a-glance view of what states are NFA friendly, bonus points for mag limits and things like that?
View Quote

The following NFA items are the ones you will have to get permission first:
SBR’s (Short Barrel Rifles)
SBS’s (Short Barrel Shotguns)
Machine Guns
Destructive Devices
AOW’s

The ATF has a Form(5320.20). Which is Application to transport interstate or to temporarily export certain NFA firearms. This is the easiest way to request permission from the ATF.

If you are not traveling to a specific destination but just road tripping, the problem you may have is that you must provide Transporting to (number, street, city, county, state, and zip).
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 10:50:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The following NFA items are the ones you will have to get permission first:
SBR’s (Short Barrel Rifles)
SBS’s (Short Barrel Shotguns)
Machine Guns
Destructive Devices
AOW’s

The ATF has a Form(5320.20). Which is Application to transport interstate or to temporarily export certain NFA firearms. This is the easiest way to request permission from the ATF.

If you are not traveling to a specific destination but just road tripping, the problem you may have is that you must provide Transporting to (number, street, city, county, state, and zip).
View Quote

AOWs are not included in the list.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 3:23:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 6:00:36 PM EDT
[#5]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Boom - super helpful. I was searching around but didn't find this. Thank you.

Quoted:

Not really an issue. Just pick an address and submit it. All you need is permission to be in the state. Intrastate travel isn’t restricted. I just search online for a range in the state and submit that address.

...and as mentioned above, AOWs (along with silencers) don’t require permission.
That's what I was wondering. Reading through the form I can't see where this would be a problem. There's a From Date+Address and a To Date+Address. In good faith I can say the furthest West location on itinerary is my destination and I just haven't made it there yet/or am on the return trip. And that's legit. I'd think they've considered this sort of situation and would have more specific questions or criteria if it was a concern.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 7:32:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 10:55:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Boom - super helpful. I was searching around but didn't find this. Thank you.

That's what I was wondering. Reading through the form I can't see where this would be a problem. There's a From Date+Address and a To Date+Address. In good faith I can say the furthest West location on itinerary is my destination and I just haven't made it there yet/or am on the return trip. And that's legit. I'd think they've considered this sort of situation and would have more specific questions or criteria if it was a concern.
View Quote

If you aren't planning on driving straight there and back, I would submit a form for each individual state you plan on visiting.

Also you can use up to 1 year on the date range, any more than that and it will get denied.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top