Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/7/2023 5:58:00 PM EDT
I was fortunate enough to snag one of the new M&P FPC 9mm Carbines, and had the opportunity to run 200 rounds through it today.

My thoughts and observations:

It shot very well with zero malfunctions in this small sample size, using 115gr Magtech ammo. I was at an indoor range that maxed at 25 yards, but it was precise enough that I feel that I was limited as much by the 2 MOA red dot and my vision as I was the FPC. I ran a few limited shooting drills, and it's quick to maneuver and easy to control. It's the only PCC I've ever shot, but it felt similar in handling to an AR15 - maybe slightly more recoil, but also slightly handier due to weight/balance.

The magazines in the stock are a gimmick, but a welcome one. I found I can draw the inside mag very quickly and easily with one hand, but the outside mag catches on my hand/arm holding the grip, and it's even worse if the inside mag hasn't been removed first. Shooting with two loaded mags in the stock is comfortable and I didn't really notice the weight because it's supported by the shoulder.

The charging handle was very stiff at first, requiring a balanced pull (finger on each side) to operate, but it has since loosened up and can be charged comfortably by pulling one side only.

I own several M&P 2.0 pistols, so the grip was familiar and comfortable. I appreciate the magazine commonality (and the addition of the 23rd mags!). Factory 15, 17, and 23rd mags all worked without issue.

The bolt catch sucks - this is probably my biggest gripe with the FPC. The lever on the left side is useless and the one on the right is only slightly better.

The trigger is solid and feels pretty good. About a 4.5lb pull according to my gauge. I'm a bit spoiled with Apex trigger kits in all my M&P pistols, so I'm really hoping they come out with something for this.

I'm not really a fan of the magazine release. The idea is sound - it's identical to that on the pistols - but it's awkward to manipulate for me. I'm average sized, and I can't reach it with my thumb without slightly rotating the firearm in my grip, which doesn't really work because of the size of the firearm. I thought about reversing it and using my trigger finger to manipulate it, but ultimately decided that I'd rather use either my offhand, or with a smaller grip adjustment I can reach it with the middle finger on my right hand.

Being able to fold the firearm and fit it in a small bag is great, and I suppose the main feature of the FPC. Losing out on the left-side MLOK slots is a worthy tradeoff.

For those interested, the accessories I put on it are: a Primary Arms SLx MD-25 2 MOA red dot; an Emissary Handbrake; and a TLR RM 2. I'm going to try out a flash hider since it has the threads, and maybe someday a suppressor (don't have one yet). I'm also going to play around with a sling and see how that works out.

Edit: spelling mistakes
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 7:37:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Nice write up.
I like mine. Have over 500 suppressed rounds through it and have not cleaned it yet.
Can't add a QD sling mount to the left side as it won't lock folded. I leave it unlocked.

Link Posted: 5/7/2023 8:40:33 PM EDT
[#2]
I really like mine. I expected good things, but it's better than I thought it would be. zero malfunctions. the only thing I have done is put a green dot Holosun on it.
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 9:15:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks op
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 4:31:19 PM EDT
[#4]

Is the grip itself polymer but with just more of an original M&P texture compared to the more aggressive M2.0 texture on the backstraps?
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 6:02:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Is the grip itself polymer but with just more of an original M&P texture compared to the more aggressive M2.0 texture on the backstraps?
View Quote

Yes, the grip is polymer. The backstraps are identical to those that came with my M&P 2.0 pistols. However, the texture of the non-switchable portion of the grip does not have the same aggressive texture as a 2.0 pistol.

Hopefully you can see the difference in this picture, the FPC is top/right, and my 2.0 compact is bottom/left:

Link Posted: 5/19/2023 5:11:28 PM EDT
[#6]
I added an A2-style flash hider and QD mounts for a sling (I'm going to get rid of the one on the bottom rail, I was just testing it out there). The picatinny QD mount doesn't interfere with folding, even with a sling attached.

Put another couple hundred rounds through it with no issues - mostly the same Magtech 115gr, but also 50 147gr HSTs. It's a lot of fun to shoot. The trigger feels like it smoothed out a little, though I'd still love an Apex or other aftermarket trigger.

Link Posted: 5/19/2023 5:36:11 PM EDT
[#7]
I need to pick up one of those 45 QD sling mounts.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 9:37:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I added an A2-style flash hider and QD mounts for a sling (I'm going to get rid of the one on the bottom rail, I was just testing it out there). The picatinny QD mount doesn't interfere with folding, even with a sling attached.

Put another couple hundred rounds through it with no issues - mostly the same Magtech 115gr, but also 50 147gr HSTs. It's a lot of fun to shoot. The trigger feels like it smoothed out a little, though I'd still love an Apex or other aftermarket trigger.

https://i.ibb.co/ZxWNqHy/FPC.jpg
View Quote

It will feed all HPs - S&W made sure of that since it is being marketed also as a patrol carbine for departments using M&P pistols. Our local sheriff just got on for himself and another department just added them to all their cruisers to supplement their ARs.
Link Posted: 5/22/2023 9:58:11 AM EDT
[#9]
when I looked at mine prior to purchase, I thought I'd have problem with cheek weld with fixed flip up sights, but an out of work Striplin rear and generic front work fine, if you are so inclined...
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 6:40:22 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Our local sheriff just got on for himself and another department just added them to all their cruisers to supplement their ARs.
View Quote

Did they have budget money to spend or lose?  

Do they already issue 9mm M&Ps?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top