Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/24/2018 7:01:37 PM EDT
So I’ve been himming and hawwing over a M&P 15-22. The best price online I found was $369 and local stores was $400.

That is until I snagged one yesterday from sportsman’s guide for $293 shipped. Spirt model that comes with soft case and red/green dot.

I’ve been looking around and it seems the first thing i should do is remove the piece on the front of the mlok rail to make it a true free float.

What other mods/must do/must haves are there?  I’ve got plenty of .22 and I got plenty of mags for it.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 7:08:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Tagged

What mags are you using and where's the best price?

My 15-22 from the same vendor will be here Wednesday
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 7:11:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Mods? More magazines and more magazines. Great gun, I love mine. It has a red dot and a silencer on it all the time.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 7:25:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I found mine on GB for $185! I always keep an eye out for mags. I just picked up a few from gunmagwarehouse pretty cheap.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 7:25:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tagged

What mags are you using and where's the best price?

My 15-22 from the same vendor will be here Wednesday
View Quote
Whatever mag comes with it and my dad has a big box of black dogs he has for some reason despite not having one of these lol.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 7:26:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Mods? More magazines and more magazines. Great gun, I love mine. It has a red dot and a silencer on it all the time.
View Quote
Yeah I’ll put my trek on mine when I use it.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 7:27:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I found mine on GB for $185! I always keep an eye out for mags. I just picked up a few from gunmagwarehouse pretty cheap.
View Quote
Wow. That’s a freaking steal!
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 7:27:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Yeah I'll put my trek on mine when I use it.
View Quote
get the spacer
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 8:31:39 PM EDT
[#8]
So black dog magazines work in this?

And what's the deal with this spacer? And piece that needs removed from the rail?
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 1:05:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
So black dog magazines work in this?

And what's the deal with this spacer? And piece that needs removed from the rail?
View Quote
BDM drums, yes.

The 15/22 rifle has threads for AR15 devices. It's too long for 22LR cans - the first baffle ends up in contact with the muzzle. Issue: the threads in the blast chamber get coated in wax and lead and you weld your silencer on. Solution: buy the spacer. Lots of companies sell them, I bought one from GemTech but pretty much every silencer company sells one.

The bit of the rail - you'll see it when it shows up.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 1:07:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 1:32:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Get ammo.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 5:06:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
BDM drums, yes.

The 15/22 rifle has threads for AR15 devices. It's too long for 22LR cans - the first baffle ends up in contact with the muzzle. Issue: the threads in the blast chamber get coated in wax and lead and you weld your silencer on. Solution: buy the spacer. Lots of companies sell them, I bought one from GemTech but pretty much every silencer company sells one.

The bit of the rail - you'll see it when it shows up.
View Quote
I certainly don’t have an issue spending eight bucks, lol, but until I get a dedicated.22 can I’ll be using my .223/5.56 trek.

Reading the description on the link you posted it would seem, since I’m using a .223 can, this won’t apply.

Should I just get the spacer for piece of mind?
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 5:08:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Get ammo.
View Quote
I know it’s not a lot to some but I’ve got 10,000 rounds laying around.

I try to maintain 10,000 for each caliber of gun I have. Thankfully I only have .22, 5.56, and 9mm as of right now.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 5:52:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I certainly don't have an issue spending eight bucks, lol, but until I get a dedicated.22 can I'll be using my .223/5.56 trek.

Reading the description on the link you posted it would seem, since I'm using a .223 can, this won't apply.

Should I just get the spacer for piece of mind?
View Quote
No, but TBH you won't use a 223 can for long - you'll find out why pretty quickly.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 9:57:53 PM EDT
[#15]
So how does the handguard stay on?

I removed the round deal at the end of it. I don't necessarily want to swap it out, just curious what's holding it on

Eta nevermind found it
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 12:15:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
So how does the handguard stay on?

I removed the round deal at the end of it. I don't necessarily want to swap it out, just curious what's holding it on

Eta nevermind found it
View Quote
any chance you can take some pictures... or share where you got the information to do this from?  is it possible to just remove that ring at the end of the hand guard... then have a free float hand guard that will be strong enough to survive?
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 2:00:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

any chance you can take some pictures... or share where you got the information to do this from?  is it possible to just remove that ring at the end of the hand guard... then have a free float hand guard that will be strong enough to survive?
View Quote
I removed mine and never put it back
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 8:55:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
From what I've gathered, the ring at the end of the handguard is just for looks and serves no purpose.  I cut mine off with pliers and threw it away (Didn't want to remove the muzzle device, I don't have any extra crush washers to reinstall)

There's indeed a proprietary barrel nut holding the handguard in place.  Removing it requires a little work, and a company called "tacticool22" sells tools to help, specifically a wrench that will take off the nut.  Once the nut is removed, the handguard will come off.  At that point, they also sell a 'conversion' barrel nut that converts the proprietary fitment into a standard nut, where then you can use other handguards.

I found this information here: https://gunmagwarehouse.com/blog/mp1522upgrade/

@tluxtele
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 11:30:08 AM EDT
[#19]
@JoeMal

Thanks.  That's very helpful.  So it looks like that ring has "snaps" holding it to the hand guard.  Seems easy enough.  I don't know that I'll change out the hand guard, but I am interested in taking that ring out from the end.  Again, thanks.  Appreciate it.
Link Posted: 12/5/2018 11:49:32 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
@JoeMal

Thanks.  That's very helpful.  So it looks like that ring has "snaps" holding it to the hand guard.  Seems easy enough.  I don't know that I'll change out the hand guard, but I am interested in taking that ring out from the end.  Again, thanks.  Appreciate it.
View Quote
You're correct. I used a screwdriver to release the tabs then just snipped it off the barrel
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 11:52:52 PM EDT
[#21]
The extractor can be replaced with a Volquartsen one.

Everyone loves to shoot mine. Adco cut 4.5 barrel.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 11:46:09 PM EDT
[#22]
An alternative to permanently removing the HG plate is to use a stepped drill bit and just remove a little material / reinstall. It was easiest securing the bit in a vise and with a little downward pressure, rotating the plate by hand.

Link Posted: 12/10/2018 5:38:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Lower receiver has thicker sides than a mil spec receiver. IMI receiver pins are too short. Changed my two out to Colt 901 pins which fit perfect. Available thru Brownells. Cheap mod.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 8:21:59 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Lower receiver has thicker sides than a mil spec receiver. IMI receiver pins are too short. Changed my two out to Colt 901 pins which fit perfect. Available thru Brownells. Cheap mod.
View Quote
My takedown pins are very tight. Light almost requiring pliers tight.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 4:11:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
It’s sooooo easy to do. Four little semi hooks/tabs hold it on. You can take the flash hider off to remove it or just cut it off.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 4:12:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
The extractor can be replaced with a Volquartsen one.

Everyone loves to shoot mine. Adco cut 4.5 barrel.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/404018/DSC01290-121294.jpg
View Quote
This is exactly where mine is headed. 4.5, can.

Just hit it up with the Kry:
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 3:47:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Go and get yourself the McFadden Lightning Grip loader w/M&P 15-22 adapter.  You will not regret it!
Link Posted: 1/2/2019 5:52:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Here is the GemTech version.

Shop around.
View Quote
The SilencerCo 1/2x28 Spacer is round and the exact diameter of a 15/22 barrel. I use it and you can't even tell there's a spacer once it's threaded on. I keep it on the rifle even when suppressor isn't mounted and birdcage is. You basically can't see it.

The Gemtech is cheaper and should work just fine. Posted the SiCo in case you care about aesthetics.

I like using a Magpul BAD lever. It doesn't fit the 15/22. NDA Performance makes one that does.

Radian sells a 15/22 Package with a 15/22 sized Raptor Charging Handle and Talon ambi-safety. Kick myself for not buying at introductory price, plan on buying during the next sale.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top