Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/16/2018 7:57:47 AM EDT
I'd like to build a M&P 15/22 pistol with arm brace for my two boys.  Does anyone know how one could install a pistol buffer tube onto a M&P 15/22 pistol?  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 12:03:03 PM EDT
[#1]
the buffer tube and lower receiver are one molded piece.

As far as I'm aware they don't make a pistol version.

So once a rifle, always a rifle, and you wouldn't have a pistol but a SBR.

ETA - you could build a dedicated 22 pistol that uses the M&P 15/22 mags, just google "better mag adapter" and you should get a bunch of hits. Probably a lot of info in the pistol and handgun caliber AR15 forum subsections as well.

A lot of people have also done the same in the SBR section, just use a brace instead of a stock for the same effect.
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 12:46:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes - do a real AR w/ a conversion kit - later on you can change it up to something with more versatility.

You never know when the next run on all things gun will be.

Red
Link Posted: 2/16/2018 5:00:03 PM EDT
[#3]
The M&P 15/22 pistol is now somewhat a collector's piece. I wouldn't alter it.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 9:27:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks all for the suggestions...

I wanted a M&P 15-22 pistol because it's lightweight for my kids to shoot.  I didn't realize the M&P 15-22 pistol is out of production.... that's a real bummer as that's about the size that I feel would be good for my kids.  I already have a .22lr upper for an SBR'd AR15 I own and it's to heavy for my boys to use (I'm thinking about a build under 5 lbs).

I might move on to a Ruger .22lr Charger with a PMACA Chasis for the arm brace....
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 9:34:50 AM EDT
[#5]
You can always build a 22lr AR. Since you already have the complete upper, the expensive part is done.

ATI makes a polymer upper for $35, you can always swap it out on your complete upper. Mind as well pair it with a polymer lower and use a 15-22 magazine adapter too.

Usually polymer upper/lowers are kinda crap, but for 22lr they should be fine.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 9:12:21 PM EDT
[#6]
This light weight barrel , with a light weight handguard might be a good start toward what you want to build.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 9:20:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The M&P 15/22 pistol is now somewhat a collector's piece. I wouldn't alter it.
View Quote
That sucks man. I had to have one so I bought it at a crazy price. Shot it and hated it because it wasn’t steady without a stock. Traded it for an XD sub compact that the guy said was “like new”. I remember getting home and taking the slide apart on the XD and the friggin recoil spring was shot (plus I learned that despite nice triggers, XD’s suck). That was one of the worst gun trades I ever made. Then a couple years later the Sig Brace came out, and I instantly regretted selling that thing.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 7:00:04 PM EDT
[#8]
A polymer .22lr AR15 piston might just be the ticket for a light weight build my boys can shoot.  Thanks!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top