Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/12/2021 9:44:38 PM EDT
I have a steel NM free float tube I want to make lighter, by making skeletonizing cuts or drilling holes, or both. I have tons of "normal" free float ARs etc, but with this one, I want to retain the standard look and do something interesting.

My questions are:

- How much lightening is too much before structural integrity is compromised? Is there a good way to tell before starting?

- Is there a most efficient way to maximize material removed while minimizing loss of strength? (Horizontal cuts, repeated holes drilled etc)

- Am I correct in thinking that the end with the most stress is towards the chamber since the muzzle end acts as the end of a lever arm?

pic for reference:

Link Posted: 7/12/2021 10:46:05 PM EDT
[#1]
See those holes in the hand guard? Do that all the way around the tube with the rows staggared.
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 11:33:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
See those holes in the hand guard? Do that all the way around the tube with the rows staggared.
View Quote
Yeah it does seem the way to go, it seems it would be no less strong than a Troy TRX rail with round holes, even with the top slot cut.

Although the Troy does have somewhat of a flange around each of the holes for more strength. On the other hand, this tube is steel, not aluminum, so likely the same or stronger right?

The thought occurred to me to chop the ends off and attach them to a carbon fiber tube but not trying to sink that much $$ into this.
Link Posted: 8/6/2021 11:40:07 PM EDT
[#3]
You are correct on where most of the stress is located. It increases towards the nut. You will start to lose strength as soon as you put the first hole in it. You can minimize the amount of loss by more holes towards the muzzle, decreasing as you move towards the nut.

The issue will not be strength but deflection. The structure of the tube is narrow making it deflect a lot when slung up tight. As you remove material, deflection for the same force will increase.

Not sure what the project is for but it is odd using a free float tube for rifles that are heavy for a light rifle project.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top