Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/30/2020 9:13:47 PM EDT
I'm running low on small pistol primers, and plan to reload a bunch of 9mm. I have about 2000 cci 550 magnum small pistol primers that i haven't touched. Is it safe to use for 9mm?
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 9:16:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes.

Reduce your load and work back up.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 9:22:00 PM EDT
[#2]
^^  This  ^^

Make sure any gun you plan on firing them in will reliably light them.  CCI 400 can also be used.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 9:23:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 351wsl] [#3]
A friend and I did a test with .40 and a bunch of different primers a few years back, including magnum pistol and small rifle.

We kept the brass, bullet and powder charge the same but tried all the primers. Ran 10 If each over a chromograph for an average.

the difference was less  maybe 10% velocity increase from one end to the other.

in my opinion, if you aren't loading near max you won't likely notice. I'd drop my charge and work back up.

on another note, I once accidentally primed several hundred .223 with small pistol primers. I tested  several with my normal plinking load and concluded I'd be fine. I proceeded to load up all and shoot them. No difference noted.

I know the cups are  supposed to be weaker and there's a risk, but I had no problems and shot several hundred.

ymmv

edited for typos
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 10:06:54 PM EDT
[#4]
One rumored side effect might be breech-face pitting (which certainly exists).

I cannot day for certain that magnum primers cause it though.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 6:12:47 AM EDT
[#5]
I use nothing but magnum primers in all pistol rounds.

Any difference in performance is largely powder dependent, some powder are more effected by primer brissance than others.

BTW- CCI 550 Small Pistol Magnum primers are the same as CCI 400 Small Rifle primers.

I use them interchangeably with zero difference in performance.

Do NOT use Small Rifle MAGNUM primers in pistol loads, cups are thicker and ignition is spotty at best.

I've been told Winchester SPM are the same as Winchester SR but have not tested this.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 12:22:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: COSteve] [#6]
Done
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 3:57:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Prior to this year it wouldn't have been something I would've seriously considered, but due to all the stupid shit that is 2020, I've been looking into such possibilities.
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 4:23:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes, in my experience it is perfectly fine to use magnum primers in place of regular.  

Running them in Glocks, never had an issue.
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 5:32:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JoeDevola:
Yes, in my experience it is perfectly fine to use magnum primers in place of regular.  

Running them in Glocks, never had an issue.
View Quote

What weights have you used them with?  Notice any primer irregularities or increase in the bulge?
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 6:00:03 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By 351wsl:
A friend and I did a test with .40 and a bunch of different primers a few years back, including magnum pistol and small rifle.

We kept the brass, bullet and powder charge the same but tried all the primers. Ran 10 If each over a chromograph for an average.

the difference was less  maybe 10% velocity increase from one end to the other.

in my opinion, if you aren't loading near max you won't likely notice. I'd drop my charge and work back up.

on another note, I once accidentally primed several hundred .223 with small pistol primers. I tested  several with my normal plinking load and concluded I'd be fine. I proceeded to load up all and shoot them. No difference noted.

I know the cups are  supposed to be weaker and there's a risk, but I had no problems and shot several hundred.

ymmv

edited for typos
View Quote

See, MARGIN is your friend.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 9:50:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 11:01:46 PM EDT
[#12]
The difference is marginal in terms of performance. The biggest issue you might have is reliable ignition if you’re running tuned springs.
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 11:02:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Dominion21:
One rumored side effect might be breech-face pitting (which certainly exists).

I cannot day for certain that magnum primers cause it though.
View Quote

Who told you that?
Link Posted: 1/13/2021 11:21:10 PM EDT
[#14]
I've been using magnum CCI LPP exclusively in .45acp
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 11:18:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By 45-Seventy:
The difference is marginal in terms of performance. The biggest issue you might have is reliable ignition if you’re running tuned springs.
View Quote

Yes.

Ran into that problem with SRP in 38

The little S&W Model 60 wouldn't ignite about 10%

Ignition was reliable in the full size S&W Model 15 though.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 12:00:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11B3XCIB] [#16]
Originally Posted By 45-Seventy:

Who told you that?
View Quote

A few weeks ago when I was googling the same question asked by OP, I read the same things posted regarding pitting, erosion etc on various websites.  I’m glad it was asked again because it’s good to see things get debunked
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 12:13:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 1:25:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Related reference point.

WLR and Rem 9½ are too tall to properly seat in S&B and CBC 45acp cases. I sent a couple WLR anyway to see if I could slamfire or anything, but they just took a second strike from my FNX to pop.

I believe this would be common to all 45 cases.

WLP and WLR tend to seat well below flush in the correct cases for me.
Link Posted: 1/14/2021 1:56:13 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm interested in seeing if SPM will handle pressure of .454 casull.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top