Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/27/2021 5:03:14 PM EDT
No, this isn't political nor legal.  

For those whom shoot bolt actions, how do you keep your extra mags with the rifle(s)? I'm speaking of .22LR rifles but I guess it would apply to other calibers.

I don't want to use velcro strips as most of my bolts have nice wood stocks. Nor do I want something dangling off the rifle while I'm at the range trying to shoot.

I suppose I could use something like a sandwich bag & a bread bag twistie to keep it with the rifle until I get to the range? Unlike my center fire rifles, I don't really have a dedicated carry case for each rifle. I might have to revisit that, I guess.

So................. What do youse guys do?
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 6:04:53 PM EDT
[#1]
I was going to use surplus mag holders for the vz52 for my 527M, but life kicked me in the balls and I lost the rifle before I was able to implement the idea. You could look for various stripper clip pouches for WWI/WWI rifles for small mags, or get with a local Kydex maker to mold you something custom.
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 7:04:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a bunch of modern magazine pouches that clip on my belt - works great for situations where you are not stationary.
Other than that I always have a backpack with mags, tools, spotting scope and med-kit
Cheers
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 7:45:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a bunch of modern magazine pouches that clip on my belt - works great for situations where you are not stationary.
Other than that I always have a backpack with mags, tools, spotting scope and med-kit
View Quote

I'm not going hiking..................  

I'm looking for something to keep the mags with the rifles in the gun safe, to & from the range. That sort of thing. I'm speaking for 4-5 different rifles as well.
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 8:53:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 9:59:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Sounds like you are talking about old time shooter bag/possible pouch.
Lots of tactical man purses around these days.
Some 30 carbine pouches you can split out the seam on a two mag pouch and it works for some 5 round 308 mags.
A revolver speed loader pouch works for ten round 1022 mags.
That funky stripper clip pouch for the sks holds four or five 1022 mags.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 11:43:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Eh, I want the mags to be with the gun almost all the time. Nor do I want a tactical purse, I use mine when bicycling only.

I think a butt stock pouch might be the best answer. All the mags are short, mostly 10rds or less. Browning, CZ, Anschutz, Marlin, that sort of thing. No Rugers, no extended mags, IOW.

Thanks to all who threw out ideas.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 11:56:02 AM EDT
[#7]
I just toss the mags in the range bag or ammo can.

When out hunting they go in a pocket or shell/game bag worn as a manpurse or fanny pack.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 1:05:13 PM EDT
[#8]
You could get some of those small molle style accessory pouches and snap them onto the sling of the rifle. For small 22 mags an old folding knife pouch or leatherman pouch may be big enough
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 3:01:36 PM EDT
[#9]
I have cheap semi clear tupperware from the dollar store, I label each one with model of rifle/pistol and have them stacked on shelves in my gun/tool room in my house
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 4:58:47 PM EDT
[#10]
But a soft rifle case for your gun that has built-in accessory pouches for mags, sight tool, etc.

Something like this;

Make sure to measure your rifle and choose a case that fits it best.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 9:30:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You could get some of those small molle style accessory pouches and snap them onto the sling of the rifle. For small 22 mags an old folding knife pouch or leatherman pouch may be big enough
View Quote

Except most, if not all, of my .22's have no sling. Good idea though.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 1:15:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Check out usb drive cases or headphone cases, I picked up some like this minus the carabiner at the dollar tree.
Link

Link Posted: 4/8/2021 1:20:44 PM EDT
[#13]
This thread had me thinking and so I went looking for something that would be a easier way than an ammo can for the 30 round 10/22 mags and I found this.
https://acecase.com/magazine-pouch-4-pack-10-22-ruger-bx-25.html

Link Posted: 4/8/2021 1:34:45 PM EDT
[#14]
My safe has a whole width self at top, I keep rifle mags there loaded, several for each gun.
I have a cabinet next to safe that serves to store ammo for immediate use without going to ammo fort, it has a drawer at top I keep more loaded mags.

Shooting at home range I grab rifle and a couple mags, for longer duration shooting small range bag.
For Club range trip either the pouches on rifle bag or put mags & ammo in ammo can.
Link Posted: 4/9/2021 8:46:49 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Eh, I want the mags to be with the gun almost all the time. Nor do I want a tactical purse, I use mine when bicycling only.
I think a butt stock pouch might be the best answer. All the mags are short, mostly 10rds or less. Browning, CZ, Anschutz, Marlin, that sort of thing. No Rugers, no extended mags, IOW.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I use stock pouches on most of my hunting rifles. Some of them run the old but well-made Eagle zippered stock paks I bought back in the early '90s. The paks keep a loaded mag(s) or some amount of spare ammo ON the gun all the time, ready to rock.

On my two 'grab-n-go' M1s, I run the Olongapo M1 Garand stock pouches. Same idea.  His pouch actually contains two separate pockets that can each hold a fully loaded M1 clip of '06 or .308 ammo.

In fact, I discovered the 'clip' pockets of the Olongapo stock pouch were actually adaptable to other shapes, like Ruger's 10-rd rotary 77/22 mags as well as the single-stack CZ .22 mags (which are 5- and 10-rds). Likely the pockets would work for holding extra 10/22 mags, at least the 'boxy' 10-rounders.'  Sizewise, each Olongapo pocket can fit one Ruger rotary mag, but they can hold two of the flat CZ mags.

So my small game/squirrel rifles, like the CZ 452 Scout or the old beat-up All-Weather 77/22 with the plastic paddle stock, are both ready to grab and load whenever I want  ... without having to chased down a mag or ammo.  They're right there ON the gun.

Easy-peasy.

Link Posted: 4/16/2021 7:12:11 AM EDT
[#16]
For small 5 rd .22LR mags, they either go in the range bag or a box in the safe of extra mags.  If hunting or traveling, they go into my pocket.

CD
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 8:45:35 PM EDT
[#17]
If all of the mags can be with the rifle, you don't have enough mags.  Fix that soon.  

Think layers:

First layer -   Stock packs like the Eagle unit mentioned above to keep a 'grab-and-go' setup handy

Second layer  -  Mag carriers, old laptop bags, backpack, something to pick up on your way out the door

Third layer  -  Fat 50 ammo cans or plastic totes for overstock mags

Fourth layer  -  waterproof container, suitable location, shovel - some assembly required
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 7:45:19 PM EDT
[#18]
I use the old Eddie Bauer branded diaper bag we bought when my now 17 year old son was born.  Heavy duty canvas, nice navy blue and tan colors, doesn't look like a diaper bag.

Drink holders on each end (use one for oil, one for marking paint to freshen up steel) a zippered side pocket (targets, stapler, some small tools) and a big cavernous main compartment (currently has a almost 1000 rounds in it and only 200 of them are rimfire.... room for more but I don't wanna carry it with more) that has a couple of soft dividers in it and some netting that is split into 3 sections on each side.  Also has a zip envelope on a leash inside, I guess originally intended to hold wipes, but it holds flat rimfire mags or anything else that is flat-ish and less than 4x8 or so just fine.  Blocky 10/22 mags go in the netting on the sides.

For field use either just take one mag and reload from a box/pouch or stick 'em in your front jeans pocket
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 8:17:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Soft AR case then I put the mags in the AR mag pockets.
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 2:20:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I have cheap semi clear tupperware from the dollar store, I label each one with model of rifle/pistol and have them stacked on shelves in my gun/tool room in my house
View Quote

Not a bad idea.

If you have the space, of course, but I'm sure that goes without saying...

Forrest
Link Posted: 5/6/2021 3:50:23 PM EDT
[#21]
I've wrestled with this over the years and settled on different heavy, nylon bags for each type/caliber. Think small to medium sized range bags, but I don't use ones with external pockets as I don't need them.  These bags only hold mags, no ammo or anything else.

I may take 5-10 guns to range and by looking at bags, I know what ammo cans (caliber) to bring with me.

For example, one medium green bag is all .22LR.  Open it up and there's dozens of .22 mags, whether it be 10/22, handgun, old marlin bolt gun, CMMG .22 mags for AR, etc.  If it chambers .22LR, the mag goes in this bag.  That's also where they are stored. Only time I remove them from the bag is at the range. At home, the bag is on a shelf in walk in closet.

Another bag is all AR mags. FDE mags are .223. Black is .30. Green is other (5.45X39). Since each caliber has its own color, I can tell at a glance what rifle or pistol they chamber with.

Another bag is all 9mm. If it chambers 9mm, mags are in this bag, including Glock and Springfield handgun mags as well as PCC mags for Scorpion, KP-9, Ruger PC Charger, AR-V, etc.

Small orange bag is Black powder stuff.  This is only bag where I also include powder, projectiles, wads, caps, etc.  

Yup, there's a bag for AK mags too. These are ONLY 7.62X39 mags.

Another bag is for oddball rifle mags such as 7.62X54 mags for SVT, VEPR and PSL. Hakim, M1A, M1 carbine and Mini 14 all go in this bag.  There's probably a dozen or so Enblocs in that bag too.  

Lastly, I have a small misc., bag for oddball handgun mags like .45 ACP, .40, 7.63 Mauser, etc.  I know .45 may not be oddball to most, but I don't shoot it all that often.  Same with .40. I only own one handgun in each of those calibers.

This works for me very well. I match bags to ammo cans. Of I don't need it, it stays at home. I have a big bag of drum mags for AR and AK's. It is very rare I ever shoot them, so that bag is stuffed in back of closet.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top