Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/15/2018 9:47:53 AM EDT
I'll be loading 185gr XTP with AA #7 in 45ACP.

Powder charge can get high, upwards of 13grs.

In LP cases, would CCI Magnum primers work best?

In SP cases, I use nothing but CCI SP Magnum primers.

Wondering if igniting that much powder would produce

more consistent results using CCI LP Magnum primers.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 11:38:31 AM EDT
[#1]
You don't need a magnum primer in .45acp. The case capacity and powders normally used don't require it.

.45acp will get better results using faster powders. Is your load compressed?

Bullseye
TiteGroup
WW-231
Unique

Are all known to produce excellent results on target. AA#7 is on the slow side for use in .45acp. Especially since you're running 185 grain bullets.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 12:03:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Going to try AA #7 with the 185's because data suggests

it will give highest velocities with lowest pressures.

Yes, magnum primers aren't 'needed', but that's not the question.

My favorite range load is 230gr coated lead with 6.0grs WSF,

and CCI 550/400 primer.

Very clean, chrony tests showed higher velocities than

standard SP or LP.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 1:36:23 PM EDT
[#3]
I personally would not use #7 for 45acp in a pistol barrel,, too slow for application, unless mailing from an 8 -  10" barrel

I prefer #7 over Blue Dot, but mainly for gassed up 9mm here,, fit case with room to seat bullet,, Blue Dot / 800X wont leave room for bullet

I used some Blue Dot in 45acp maybe 30yr ago, all it did was make a big woof-boom sound, with big flash
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 2:54:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Yep, AA 7 is on the slow side for 45ACP,

thus the reason for a magnum CCI primer.

More/bigger flash ignite powser better than standard primer.

Just not sure about using LP magnum,

wondering if initial pressure pulse might start bullet

moving too soon, versus SP magnum.
Link Posted: 7/15/2018 3:14:47 PM EDT
[#5]
I use non magnum small primers with 185gr RN hollow base with Titewad.  My only experience with 185s...not your exact combo
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 10:35:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I have loaded a bunch of 185 gr Golden Sabers with AA#7 in 45 acp. I always used standard primers. I was very happy with the performance of those loads.
Link Posted: 7/16/2018 11:41:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Win & Rem  only make 1  LP primer  each.   The  WLP  should do just fine.   Does for me.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 9:59:08 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Win & Rem  only make 1  LP primer  each.   The  WLP  should do just fine.   Does for me.
View Quote
Thanks 243win! I use the WLP in 10mm loads, so have some on hand.

Always question the WLP though, is it a super hot standard primer or a not so hot magnum primer?

Just a bit confusing having one LP primer claim to be good for both.

Does very well in my 10mm loads, but do get higher velocities in same load with CCI 350 Magnum LP.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 9:59:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have loaded a bunch of 185 gr Golden Sabers with AA#7 in 45 acp. I always used standard primers. I was very happy with the performance of those loads.
View Quote
Thanks Bigtard.

Were you using SP or LP primers?
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 11:45:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Thanks Bigtard.

Were you using SP or LP primers?
View Quote
LP, either Winchester or CCI
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 1:18:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Always question the WLP though, is it a super hot standard primer or a not so hot magnum primer?
View Quote
No idea.  WLP works  in 45 acp using Bullseye powder and in 44 mag using W296/H110 , or Unique.  Accuracy is good.
Link Posted: 7/17/2018 1:59:13 PM EDT
[#12]
I have never used a magnum primer in .45.  Give this powder a try:

Link Posted: 7/17/2018 2:31:37 PM EDT
[#13]
I now use magnum primers in all my handgun loads. After extensive chrono and target work I am convinced I get better results and smaller SD's using mag primers. YMMV.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 6:55:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I now use magnum primers in all my handgun loads. After extensive chrono and target work I am convinced I get better results and smaller SD's using mag primers. YMMV.
View Quote
I've experienced the same results, switching to all CCI magnum primers as I use up stock on hand.

In these loads, I'll be using CCI 550/400 SP magnums on SP 45ACP brass,

just curious about CCI 350 for LP 45ACP brass and AA 7.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 12:25:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I've experienced the same results, switching to all CCI magnum primers as I use up stock on hand.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not sure if this answers your question, but my comment was for all pistol loads regardless of small or large primer. Magnum primers have worked best for me, including the .45ACP. It's all I buy now.
Link Posted: 7/18/2018 2:06:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Not sure if this answers your question, but my comment was for all pistol loads regardless of small or large primer. Magnum primers have worked best for me, including the .45ACP. It's all I buy now.
View Quote
Yep, good answer. Only load I found that didn't like CCI LP Magnum primers was max charges of Ramshot Silhouette

under 230gr projectiles in 45ACP.

Had a few flakes of unburned powder.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 5:12:22 PM EDT
[#17]
I've had excellent results with A#7 in the 45 with 185 grain Zero JHP bullets. Accuracy is superb, with 15-shot groups under 2.0 inches (Ransom Rest, Kart barreled 1911) with every load I've tried with the Zero bullets using Winchester LP primers.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 8:31:20 PM EDT
[#18]
I don't mean to sound flippant, but is there actually that much small primer 45 brass out there now, that people are actually reloading it?

I honestly haven't even looked for newer 45 acp brass in about 10 years, because I realized that I already have 3 lifetime's worth of supply.

I used to find the very rare 1 out of a thousand, and promptly toss it in the bucket.
Link Posted: 7/19/2018 10:20:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 9:21:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Everything I’ve read on the “small primer versus large primer” .45 issue has pointed to no functional difference between the two.  You DO need to work up your load with small primer brass because even with the same brand those small primers are not the same as large primers.  But I would expect that the final result would be pretty close to identical to large primer loads.

The biggest issue with small primer brass is that you have to sort the brass by primer size.  Plenty of folks have found out the hard way that just tossing all your .45 brass in the case feeder is going to give you problems.    Since I visually inspect every single case I have while I deprime, separating small and large primer brass ain’t a big deal.  I just haven’t collected enough small primer brass to work up loads for it yet.
Link Posted: 7/20/2018 1:07:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Yes small primer 45 ACP is being reloaded by many folks.

I have found no difference between the two primer sizes in loads.

Like you I have plenty of LP cases and that's what I load the most.

For the new guys, they get to use the same small size primer in 45 ACP, 38/357, 40, ect
View Quote
I've found any differences are very load specific.

My tests showed higher velocities and tighter groups with 230gr LRN and 6.0grs WSF

using CCI 550 versus CCI 300 versus CCI 500.

But with max charge of Silhouette under same bullet, highest velocities and tightest groups

came using CCI 300 versus CCI 550.

CCI 500 left noticeable amounts of unburned powder.

Good excuse to load lots of 45ACP for testing.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 12:09:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Am using AA7 in 9mm and 357 mag, and for my uses the mag primer works better accuracy wise.  Started trying AA7 for 230 jhp in 45 acp with mag and reg Fed primers.  In that specific situation, the regular primers gave better accuracy/consistency.   Have not tried 185 jhps with AA7, and rarely use any jacketed below 230 gns anymore.
Link Posted: 7/21/2018 3:50:31 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I'll be loading 185gr XTP with AA #7 in 45ACP.

Powder charge can get high, upwards of 13grs.

In LP cases, would CCI Magnum primers work best?

In SP cases, I use nothing but CCI SP Magnum primers.

Wondering if igniting that much powder would produce

more consistent results using CCI LP Magnum primers.
View Quote
First, CCI (or any other brand) magnum LP primers will work fine.  Best?  That depends on a lot of factors, including the actual load, the barrel you're firing the rounds in, and others.  They will work, but will they give you both completely dependable ignition AND decent accuracy?  That's very much dependent on your load.

ALL primers release a lot of energy when fired.  Most is in the form of heat, but there is a gas volume component as well.  This is why "wax bullet" practice works - the primer has enough energy to launch a wax slug at several hundred feet per second.  (Side note: wax bullets are NOT toys.  When using them ALWAYS use eye protection!)

Since the volume and velocity of this gas is different between different primer models (not just "regular" versus "magnum," but "Brand A magnum" versus "Brand B magnum"), you can't just swap one primer for another without working up a new load.  The differences may not be enough to warrant changing the powder charge, but they might be substantial.  How a primer works in any particular load depends on all the components of that particular load.

So, sure, you can use magnum primers in that particular loading, but work it up.  If you like your results, stick with that combination.
Link Posted: 7/22/2018 12:04:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top