Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2023 5:28:24 PM EDT
I'm considering buying a gun store. It has a smith on site, but no room for machine tools. I have a CNC mill, manual mill, and lathe at my house.  If I was the FFL holder, would I be able to bring customers guns to my shop off site to work on them?
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 5:48:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes you can
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 6:49:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Do you need to be present all the time, or sign things out, or have your machine shop as a location?

Do you need to be the one doing the work using tools you paid for? (Thinking about 80% lower manufacturing parties)
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 10:11:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DogtownTom] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ctfish15:
Do you need to be present all the time, or sign things out, or have your machine shop as a location?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

No ATF reg requires you to be present all the time.
You damn well better have recordkeeping practices that show what firearms are in your possession and at your licensed premises.
If you want to see customers at your machine shop as a second location, it will need its own FFL.

Do you need to be the one doing the work using tools you paid for? (Thinking about 80% lower manufacturing parties)

You should think twice.
https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/ruling/2015-1-manufacturing-and-gunsmithing/download
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 11:45:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By MHIDPA:
I'm considering buying a gun store. It has a smith on site, but no room for machine tools. I have a CNC mill, manual mill, and lathe at my house.  If I was the FFL holder, would I be able to bring customers guns to my shop off site to work on them?
View Quote

Yes, if the home shop site has its own FFL.  I would also get an 07/C2 and do more than just gunsmithing there.
Link Posted: 2/28/2023 2:11:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By DogtownTom:

You damn well better have recordkeeping practices that show what firearms are in your possession and at your licensed premises.
If you want to see customers at your machine shop as a second location, it will need its own FFL.

You should think twice.
https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/ruling/2015-1-manufacturing-and-gunsmithing/download
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DogtownTom:

You should think twice.

Right, so anyone involved is a manufacturer and needs to be licensed, as I read it
Link Posted: 3/1/2023 4:34:42 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RenegadeX] [#6]
Right, so anyone involved is a manufacturer and needs to be licensed, as I read it
View Quote

No only the business must have a license. And as a licensee, they must mark and keep records accordingly. And that ruling pre-dates the PMF ruling, so there is that to deal with now too.

Held further, a business (including an association or society) may not avoid the
manufacturing license, marking, and recordkeeping requirements of the GCA by allowing
persons to perform manufacturing processes on blanks or incomplete firearms (including frames
or receivers) using machinery, tools, or equipment under its dominion and control where that
business controls access to, and use of, such machinery, tools, or equipment.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top