Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 2/8/2020 3:51:32 PM EST
The manual only points out two spots to oil. The cam slot and the operating rods. One drop and two drops each, respectively. That’s it....?

I assume that for the operating rods, they mean the contact area of the rods and bushings of the receiver group.
And “cam slot for the control bolt” is where the bolt control rides on the bolt carrier - not the bolt control itself.

Sorry for being weirdly more OCD about this than typical - I’m punch drunk for having only 5-hours sleep in 56-hours.

Anyway - would these 2-areas be served better buy a film of “gun” grease for performance and reliability...?
Pretty big tolerances on both spots and seems like the grease would sick better. Also no oil between bolt and bolt-sleeve...? No other / more points of contact that should be lubed for maintenance....?

Hmmmmmm......
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 4:05:51 PM EST
I just spray the innards down with Ballistol.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 4:23:14 PM EST
I lube my MSAR just like my AUG. Hell, they're at least kissin' cousins!

I checked my manual and the OP is right on the 2/1 oilings.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 5:27:00 PM EST
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 7:55:46 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SpyHawk:
Yep.

PDF Page 32 https://www.steyr-arms.com/us/pub/media/manuals/AUG_A3_M1_Manual.pdf
View Quote
Interesting that Steyr recommends to oil the gas piston and and bolt “locking piece” but MSAR said the gas piston does not require lube and nothing about the bolt.
Link Posted: 2/8/2020 8:55:06 PM EST
I have had my two MSAR’s for so long I have no idea where my owners manual is. I always oil the gas piston, two op-rods, bolt lugs, and cam pin. I have about 10,000 rounds through both MSAR’s and have never had any broken parts.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 7:55:25 PM EST
Originally Posted By MadDogDan:
I have had my two MSAR’s for so long I have no idea where my owners manual is. I always oil the gas piston, two op-rods, bolt lugs, and cam pin. I have about 10,000 rounds through both MSAR’s and have never had any broken parts.
View Quote
Now this is more along the lines of what makes sense to me. It seems to me the bolt lugs beg to be lubed - especially during a break-in period.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 4:54:24 PM EST
Originally Posted By bondservant2:

Now this is more along the lines of what makes sense to me. It seems to me the bolt lugs beg to be lubed - especially during a break-in period.
View Quote
I look at the MSAR or AUG like any other weapon. If you see wear marks on metal parts - then lube it. Doesn't need much, but lube it a little. If parts show no signs of wear then no lube is needed.
Top Top