Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/25/2018 2:03:18 PM EDT
I picked up a Tan Gen 4 earlier this year, unfired, and never got to put a round thru it before a friend talked me out of it. He took it out to shoot it, and was having all kinds of feeding problems. I told him bring it back and we'll undo the deal, but a couple days later he texted me never mind. He tried running steel case russian or whatever thru it, and with the steel cased ammo he says it runs like a "stripe assed ape" , no bobbles, no jams. Has anyone heard of this behavior before? Is this an anomaly ? Just curious...
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 2:29:19 PM EDT
[#1]
He may have the gas regulator set to high setting. Would make sense it works fine with weak steel case but too overgassed with M193 or similar causing issues.
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 10:16:41 PM EDT
[#2]
he says no, he couldn't get it to  chamber brass cased ammo half the time, I don't understand that at all...
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 11:30:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I have only fired steel cased ammo through either of mine.
As long as you don't use the MSAR mags it works flawlessly.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 12:20:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Been using MSAR mags in both of my MSAR rifles for several years, never had a problem.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 12:39:34 AM EDT
[#5]
MSAR mags in my MSAR and no issues here either.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 8:31:36 PM EDT
[#6]
The MSAR "AUG" mags were rock solid.  The MSAR XM-30 AR pattern mags were very hit or miss until they completely revised the molds after they started producing rifles again and shortly before they finally rolled tits up and sank.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 11:46:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Was the trouble ammo reloads or remanufactured?  My E4 runs great with factory ammo, but reloads require resizing with small base dies and must be trimmed to the proper length.
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 12:00:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Well, not sure how it happened....but I got the stg back.  Had something else he wanted more... Came back with six thirties, a forty-two and a ten, and a Lucid HD7 red dot. I may try to acquire a couple actual Steyr mags to see if brass ammo will feed out of them, but when you come right down to it, if it runs like a Swiss clock with steel cases ammo and steel case is as cheap as you can get, that works for me. Opinions?
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 8:51:31 PM EDT
[#9]
LG, he doesn't do reloads , all was factory ammo.several brands
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 9:38:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Have you tried it yourself yet?  I can't imagine how a rifle would "know" if a new factory spec round with identical bullets was brass or steel cased.

Firing and extraction- yes, but refusing to chamber is hard to believe.
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 12:25:48 AM EDT
[#11]
The guy's not a newbie. I take his word. I don't know why it's doing it, but maybe I can find out. Still gonna try a couple Steyr mags.... I kinda took it back looking
at it as kind of a challenge........
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 9:48:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Ridgeline, what mags do you use, then?
Link Posted: 7/31/2018 9:50:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Mine are both E4's.

Neither would work with the factory mags but they have worked fine with ASC,D&H, &PMags the one time I tried it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top