Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/20/2018 4:07:14 PM EDT
I should always know better than to buy anything "tactical" without first doing much better research. I was very excited to save up and buy an MSA Sordin headset off eBay. At around $300 for a headset and PTT unit, I thought I was getting a great deal. I knew it had the LEMO connection, and the PTT had a PRC 6 pin connector, but I thought, "hey, I'm sure they make an adapter for that, I'll be fine. I wonder what experience other people have had. I better go check out what ARFCOM has to say..... oh crap, I made a huge mistake"

Well, the unit came in the mail and was brand new as advertised. The unit worked great, but didn't interface with my radio, as I knew it wouldn't. Although I've got a PRC152 radio at work, I wanted this for my Baofeng at home. I spent the $50 on an adapter to make the physical connection and thought my problems would be solved. They weren't. I could hear incoming communications but couldn't transmit out through the headset. Damn... Keep searching for a solution.

Somewhere in a post here it was said that TEA would convert the headset from LEMO to TP120 for around $35, I think. Maybe I'm making that up, because I can't find that information again anywhere. So I got an RMA from TEA and sent it off to New York via UPS for $15 to see if they could salvage my purchase. I thought another $35 on top of what I had already spent would be well worth it. Two weeks past and I got the quote via email for the conversion.... $395 including parts and labor! Needless to say, that isn't in the budget. I will say that everyone there was SUPER nice, and when I buy stuff for work some day I'll be looking them up again.

Thankfully they're sending me back my headset free of charge, and I'll soon be putting an MSA Sordin headset with MICH PTT, with LEMO 6 pin connection, on the EE and on eBay. If you're shopping for a headset too, please don't be a dummy like I was. Don't buy the LEMO 6 pin headset unless you KNOW it's going to work for the radio you have.
Link Posted: 4/20/2018 11:08:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah it’s an impedance problem. There were guys modifying the PTT’s over in UK to fix the impedance problems when using with ham radios like baofeng. You would need the u/174 type plug however. I’ve been using mine with the UK modified PTT with a baofeng for a while. Only problem I have with my sordin is a bettery exploded in the battery compartment and now going to be adding an open aaa carrier in it and getting rid of the slide in type.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 8:19:54 AM EDT
[#2]
I got a set of LEMO Sordins from USRO a couple years back for less than 100 bucks -- don't have a radio, so to me it was an awesome set of electronic earpro for cheap. I just fold the mic boom out of the way and run the cord under the camo band.
Link Posted: 4/21/2018 8:48:21 AM EDT
[#3]
https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/Tactical-Comm-Write-Up-Updated-thread-with-Conversion-Info/10-400802/

I've had this  bookmarked forever to do to the lemo set I got off usgov whatever site for ~80 bucks.
Link Posted: 4/25/2018 4:37:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I just don’t trust myself to do the modifications on my own. I really have zero electronic experience when it comes to stuff like this, and I’m too nervous to screw up. FWIW, I do have these up on the EE now if anyone else wants to buy them to use or hack up.

ETA: already sold
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top