Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/22/2020 9:14:40 PM EDT
Whenever I’ve shot a thread on can on a handgun it always came loose within 10-20 rounds. Seems like every mag I would just give it a 1/16 twist to tighten it back up. I can’t imagine this being an issue with the SD series but there has to be something to keep it from loosening under fire other than torquing on the threads.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 9:28:39 PM EDT
[#1]
The MP5SD has a gasket or o-ring for sealing on the trunnion, the particular type depends on who made it. When you snug the can up against this it seems to keep it from backing off. I still check every couple mags.
Link Posted: 5/22/2020 9:29:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 12:37:33 AM EDT
[#3]
The o-ring helps keep it on. Honestly haven't seen the issue with it coming loose on my mp5sd with a kac can. Its gone through a lot of full auto fire too.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 1:17:41 AM EDT
[#4]
It's much less of a problem with non-reciprocating barrel firearms generally, my direct thread stuff stays on with nothing more than hand tightening.
Link Posted: 5/23/2020 7:56:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Cool. I knew there was something that kept it on, because the MP5SD is like 40 years old at least.

Thanks for the replies.
Link Posted: 5/25/2020 8:05:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Mp5sd can will stay in place regardless of oring or no oring in my experience.
Link Posted: 5/29/2020 7:30:57 PM EDT
[#7]
My SD can (TPM can and gun) has never come unscrewed from the gun while firing, but the tube has started to unthread from the mount once or twice.

And EVERY time after coming home from the range and I try to take the can off, the tube comes off and leaves the mount behind. I have just gotten used to removing the tube, putting some Loctite on the threads, re-installing it on the mount stuck to the gun, and removing both a day later when the Loctite dries.

Link Posted: 5/30/2020 12:00:21 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My SD can (TPM can and gun) has never come unscrewed from the gun while firing, but the tube has started to unthread from the mount once or twice.

And EVERY time after coming home from the range and I try to take the can off, the tube comes off and leaves the mount behind. I have just gotten used to removing the tube, putting some Loctite on the threads, re-installing it on the mount stuck to the gun, and removing both a day later when the Loctite dries.

View Quote
Have you tried anti-seize on the mount? It has an o-ring under it, right?
Are you using blue LocTite?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top