Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/15/2021 10:45:36 PM EDT
I’ve built a few F1 cans.  Now advising a good friend (who already has his approved F1 in hand) with his build:

- his MP5 clone already has the tri lug barrel;

- approved for 12”, 9mm

But:  what vendors are still out there and selling “shrouds” and “sauce cups?”

Anyone use aluminum tubes for 9mm?  Or is Ti the way to go?

I see from Joey’s YT that the industry has now mostly settled on 1.355” and 24tpi / SDTA threads - but is 1.355 too “volume starved” for 9mm?

Are “mushrooms” the latest-greatest subs cone style for 9mm? Or are radials better?

Who has shrouds and cups in stock?

Thx for any/all ideas here.
Link Posted: 10/15/2021 11:33:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Aluminum is alright for 9mm.  Especially semiauto.  

If you're going to be making an actual SD clone, 3 lug barrel is not going to work because the SD uses a different barrel altogether.  So, I'm assuming what you really mean is you want some 3 lug mount that you can screw onto some mp5 or clone thereof.  In that case, that's not an SD suppressor.

I don't know if you can still get "mushrooms" now or not though.  Maybe if you know the right person.   I've never made a can using radials (yet).  I mostly make integrals and use my own designs for coaxial baffles and chambers in my builds so I can't really help you figure out what baffles your buddy wants to use.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 9:30:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Aluminum is alright for 9mm.  Especially semiauto.  

If you're going to be making an actual SD clone, 3 lug barrel is not going to work because the SD uses a different barrel altogether.  So, I'm assuming what you really mean is you want some 3 lug mount that you can screw onto some mp5 or clone thereof.  In that case, that's not an SD suppressor.

I don't know if you can still get "mushrooms" now or not though.  Maybe if you know the right person.   I've never made a can using radials (yet).  I mostly make integrals and use my own designs for coaxial baffles and chambers in my builds so I can't really help you figure out what baffles your buddy wants to use.
View Quote

Thanks - and good point; it’s really a tri-lug mount, long 9mm can, and not an SD.

Also - if radials are hard to find, what about regular 60 degree clipped cones for 9mm?  I realize it was popular to use K baffles for 9mm, but not really interested in trying to track those down.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 10:56:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Thanks - and good point; it’s really a tri-lug mount, long 9mm can, and not an SD.

Also - if radials are hard to find, what about regular 60 degree clipped cones for 9mm?  I realize it was popular to use K baffles for 9mm, but not really interested in trying to track those down.
View Quote

It's the mushrooms that will be harder to find.  The radials seem to be all over the place.  short clipped 60's also do well.  I realize that you'll need to leave a big internal space for the 3lug mount, but try to keep the expansion chamber as short as possible to try to keep FRP down.  And be prepared to put a lot of cones in it.  

K's have worked really well for 9mm over the years (decades).  They've been used in a LOT of commercial pistol cal silencers.  But, clipped baffles sound better to me and K's are a lot of work.  It's not as simple as finding the center and drilling the holes straight.  K's need to have a vent put through the skirt and angled across the bore and the faces scooped to work more effectively.  So, unless you're prepared to deal with that, find something you're more comfortable with.  Quietbore is the only place that I know where you can get k cups.
Link Posted: 10/16/2021 7:42:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

It's the mushrooms that will be harder to find.  The radials seem to be all over the place.  short clipped 60's also do well.  I realize that you'll need to leave a big internal space for the 3lug mount, but try to keep the expansion chamber as short as possible to try to keep FRP down.  And be prepared to put a lot of cones in it.  

K's have worked really well for 9mm over the years (decades).  They've been used in a LOT of commercial pistol cal silencers.  But, clipped baffles sound better to me and K's are a lot of work.  It's not as simple as finding the center and drilling the holes straight.  K's need to have a vent put through the skirt and angled across the bore and the faces scooped to work more effectively.  So, unless you're prepared to deal with that, find something you're more comfortable with.  Quietbore is the only place that I know where you can get k cups.
View Quote

Cones it is then.  

For 9mm, is the cone face supposed to be .400” ?  

Who is still stocking cones?  

On the old forum, I was a member, but then Marxists de-platformed us, and I have not joined the new forum.  It was so much easier to find info on the old forum.  
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 12:48:19 PM EDT
[#5]
.400 face would be too narrow for a 9mm.

The 9mm bore itself will be nearer to .405-.410'ish.

ETA:  I'm not really sure who is stocking cone cups for whatever tube you're wanting.  I make my own stuff so, I admit that I don't really keep up with who is selling what.
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 8:12:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:For 9mm, is the cone face supposed to be .400” ?  
View Quote

It doesn't really matter if the face is sold small. When you drill the bore, it'll open this up (just further truncate the cone). If you don't want the razor edge, just cut/flatten those tips back a bit.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top