Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/2/2023 1:31:11 PM EDT
Wanting just one more can. I have suppressed both the MP5 & k with a SiCo Hybrid tri-lug mount and its not bad at all with subs. The Hybrid is large enough. I may be wanting something a better fit and better suppression for the 9mm MP5.

I've been considering the DA Wolfman for awhile,  I like that it is caliber versatile and rated for 556.

Also considering the SiCo Omega 9k, it is compact. I suppose the Wolfman is quieter but larger.

What do you recommend?

Thanks

Link Posted: 6/2/2023 1:47:38 PM EDT
[#1]
If you are looking for something with good suppression but a bit more compact, the Curtis Tactical CT9KS or the version they make for Shaw (https://www.shawarms.com/products/thundercan-5176-7191aa71-0d15-454d-8bef-9719e1028535) would be a good choice.

On Pew Science, the OSS Cash9k has the best ear rating and is quite small.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 1:53:44 PM EDT
[#2]
I like my octane 45.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 1:56:10 PM EDT
[#3]
My Wolfman and Omega 9K are my fav cans for my MP5’s.  The YHM R9 is another.  Just picked up my Rad 9 yesterday and hoping to shoot it this weekend.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 5:27:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My Wolfman and Omega 9K are my fav cans for my MP5’s.  The YHM R9 is another.  Just picked up my Rad 9 yesterday and hoping to shoot it this weekend.
View Quote

This is how I feel as well. I don’t have an R9, but I do have a Nitro N2O. I’ve also got an OCL Lithium in jail but will be there for a while unless I get lucky.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 6:29:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I love my Wolfman. It's very versatile and modular, so I can run it in long mode or short mode. I can use 556 or 30 cal flash suppressor end caps, or the flat 9mm end cap.  I can also use it with DA Xeno, Griffin Plan A, 3-lug or direct thread.

As a rifle K can, it's not bad in short mode with DA Xeno (11 3/8oz) or Plan A (11 1/4oz), and it's only a slight bit longer than a Turbo K with the same mounts. It's perfect for a 14.5" or 16" 556 (or probably 300BO carbine, I don't own one of those). I've used it as a K-can on my AUG quite a bit.

With a 3-lug it's a bit heavy, a little over 14oz in short mode and over 18.5oz in long mode. I mostly use it in long mode on a RDB 5" barreled 9mm AR15 so it's not ungainly there (it lives on that gun actually), but on a longer gun, I only use it in short mode.

Sound wise, in long mode it sounds better than my CGS Kraken on that highly tuned 5" 9mm AR. In short mode, I think the Kraken sounds better, but is more gassy so I still like the Wolfman better.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 11:08:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Zero experience with any of the 9mm cans but I’ve currently got a Wolfman in jail.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 11:21:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Omega 9K rides nicely on the tri-lug on my Zenith/MKE "MP5".

rob
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 11:31:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Imo, they are going to all be roughly the same.  It's going to come down to ammo imo.  U get 147 or 158 ammo and it's going to have a completely different sound signature vs 115 and 124.

That being said my gemtech tundra lives on my mp5.  I've used my octane 9 and 45 on it and I didn't see any difference.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 6:36:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
 It's going to come down to ammo imo.  U get 147 or 158 ammo and it's going to have a completely different sound signature vs 115 and 124.
View Quote
158gr FTW. For 9mm, that's pretty much all I shoot suppressed anymore.  

147s sometimes go supersonic for me. But then again I'm high up in the mountains. Down at sea level 147gr might be fine.

Link Posted: 6/3/2023 6:55:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Omega 9k on mine.

Love it

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 9:27:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Wolfman

MP5, Wolfman, 147gr subsonic ammo
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 9:51:41 AM EDT
[#12]
……..
Link Posted: 6/4/2023 7:57:17 AM EDT
[#13]
My R9 works well

Link Posted: 6/4/2023 8:19:41 AM EDT
[#14]
I think the B&T SQD is the way.  Designed for the tri-lug which should mitigate POI shift.
Link Posted: 6/7/2023 1:23:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

rob
View Quote

I agree, though my Octane 9 does sound better to me.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 11:04:09 AM EDT
[#16]
i run a wolfman on my sp5. runs like a charm and i wouldn’t change it.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 11:34:37 PM EDT
[#17]
I have an Omega 9K and Tirant 9 both with 3 lugs for my mp5s. I absolutely love the O9K. I want a second one to keep boosters in for handguns. It's slightly louder than the tirant but not by as much as you'd expect. Great sound for its size.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 6:50:01 PM EDT
[#18]
I've used an Obsidian 45 and Wolfman on my MP5 clone and can't tell the difference between them.  I like that the obsidian is user serviceable, so I can shoot 160gr lead bullets through it.  I also like the fact that it's overbore and provides more protection against a baffle or end cap strike vs a 9mm can.  There is enough wobble with most 3 lug mounts that depending on alignment, a baffle strike is a possibility.  I've had a few keyholes using the wolfman with 3 lug adapter on a banshee, I presume due to the bullet being deflected by the end cap.  I have an Omega 45k in jail and it looks like it would be a great MP5 suppressor.
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 8:33:46 AM EDT
[#19]
FWIW We used the MP5 as the primary development platform for the Sonus 9mm. Here is a video Capitol Armory did:
Energetic Armament Sonus 9mm - Overview

Karl Edminster
Energetic Armament
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 9:30:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Another vote for the Omega 9K
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 10:21:23 AM EDT
[#21]
I bought a B&T SQD with the tri-lug adapter to use on my AP5K.

I’ll let you know how it works in 7-12 months!
Link Posted: 6/14/2023 11:46:52 PM EDT
[#22]
I use my Sig SRD-45 because I don’t have a 9mm can yet. It works great. Make sure you use heavier ammo that is subsonic, and you get movie like suppression.
Link Posted: 6/15/2023 10:05:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
My R9 works well

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/16/2023 9:41:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Another Wolfman vote, sounds great on the MP5 and with .300blk subs. Nice that it works with 556 and 7.62x39 as well, although in short mode it definitely ain’t quiet with those.
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 12:21:42 PM EDT
[#25]
I've got an octane 9 on a ptr9c and really like it
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 4:00:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

rob
View Quote

Same, sounds good and compact.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/18/2023 11:35:59 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm going to go against the grain and say the ECCO Machine TLX (https://www.eccomachine.net/product/tlx/).  I've got one waiting on a stamp right now, so I can't opine on the sound quality unfortunately.  10 baffle titanium can (with an added tri-lug mount) for under 6.5 ounces, 4 ounces with the standard direct thread mount so you can use it on a pistol without a booster.  All for a very reasonable price point as well.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 6:57:32 AM EDT
[#28]
I love my Obsidian 9 on my AP5. Sounds good in both long and short configuration.

A friend has a Tyrant 9 and that also sounds great.

I agree with what someone else already said. Regardless of what suppressor you use, ammo will play the biggest role. I load my own subsonic 147 grain, and have shot and chrongraphed different loads and shot them through 6 guns.
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 6:34:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I love my Obsidian 9 on my AP5. Sounds good in both long and short configuration.

A friend has a Tyrant 9 and that also sounds great.

I agree with what someone else already said. Regardless of what suppressor you use, ammo will play the biggest role. I load my own subsonic 147 grain, and have shot and chrongraphed different loads and shot them through 6 guns.
View Quote

Yup. Out of my Maxim 9 my self-defense loads of 5.1gr N350 under a 147gr HST has significantly more port pop than the same bullet under 3.7gr of N320.
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 2:12:02 PM EDT
[#30]
I haven't ordered yet. I'm still torn between the 2. Wolfman & Omega 9k.

What is the RC2?
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 5:37:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I haven't ordered yet. I'm still torn between the 2. Wolfman & Omega 9k.

What is the RC2?
View Quote

Get the B&T SQD Compact.

Fastest attachment and removal method, plus it's flow through.  Excellent.
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 5:49:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Got a Yankee Hill R9 on mine via tri-lug, very happy with it
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 6:03:43 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Get the B&T SQD Compact.

View Quote

I think this is the way.
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 7:39:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I think this is the way.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Get the B&T SQD Compact.

I think this is the way.

Is it user serviceable? I wonder how long it stays “flow through” before it starts clogging up. Appears to say it is aluminum so somewhat limited on solvents you could use on it, but I don’t see if it is user serviceable anywhere.
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 8:36:39 PM EDT
[#35]
GSL Phoenix is also an excellent option. It is big though. When I shoot it next to my RDTS SD and you can't really tell a difference. You can take it apart to clean. Also, Greg is super nice and helpful.

https://gsltechnology.com/product/the-phoenix/

Link Posted: 6/27/2023 1:19:05 AM EDT
[#36]
My Ptr K I have a has a YHM R9 and I love it. My favorite can for subguns, I have Rugged Obsidian, MODX 9 Sig, Gemtec tundra and ACC Tr Rant 45.
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 12:23:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Get the B&T SQD Compact.

View Quote

Have you shot it? It doesn't seem to be very quiet based on videos/comparisons I've watched. Perhaps the ear noise is better and where the bulk of sound is on a PCC platform.
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 2:13:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Have you shot it? It doesn't seem to be very quiet based on videos/comparisons I've watched. Perhaps the ear noise is better and where the bulk of sound is on a PCC platform.
View Quote

Yes and I really like it.

There are quieter cans out there but you can't beat the attachment method (and reduced backpressure).  Just throwing this out there as an option for those who don't know about it.

If I only had one MP5 and wanted the quietest experience, I'd probably go GSL Phoenix dedicated, or RS9 for the MP5k.  [Based on Pew Science research, not personal experience]
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 2:31:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

There are quieter cans out there but you can't beat the attachment method (and reduced backpressure).  Just throwing this out there as an option for those who don't know about it.

If I only had one MP5 and wanted the quietest experience, I'd probably go GSL Phoenix dedicated, or RS9 for the MP5k.  [Based on Pew Science research, not personal experience]
View Quote

Good deal and appreciate the input on a lesser known option. Attachment method does look great.
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 2:42:01 PM EDT
[#40]
The only 9mm suppressor that I have is the YHM R9, and I'm very pleased with it.

$600 after the tax stamp makes it a pretty good value too.
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 2:47:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Do you know if it is user-serviceable? I couldn’t tell from B&T’s site.

I’ve got a GSL Phoenix and agree it is a great can, but as you probably know, the ports and passages start to fill up with buildup. Luckily you can clean the GSL, but if the B&T is not user serviceable, I’d be afraid the passages would start to clog up. Have you shot it enough to witness anything like that, such as at the muzzle vents?
Link Posted: 6/27/2023 3:11:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I’ve got a GSL Phoenix and agree it is a great can, but as you probably know, the ports and passages start to fill up with buildup. Luckily you can clean the GSL, but if the B&T is not user serviceable, I’d be afraid the passages would start to clog up. Have you shot it enough to witness anything like that, such as at the muzzle vents?
View Quote

To my knowledge none of the B&T cans are user serviceable (at least rifle/pistol cans)
Link Posted: 8/11/2023 4:06:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

@peachy

It is not user serviceable in a traditional manner (taking it apart).

B&T does have a recommended cleaning procedure: use their recommended solvent, plug suppressor and pour it in for 10-15 minutes, then rinse it out and let it air dry for 24 hours, or use compressed air.  Their recommended product takes all the carbon out: https://schletek-guntuning.de/index.php/en/products/schalld%C3%A4mpfer-reiniger-evolution-detail

The flow-through nature of the can makes it cycle well on an AP5-P (mp5k) without 80 degree locking piece, and the attachment method makes it simple to switch between multiple trilug firearms.
Link Posted: 8/12/2023 9:50:27 AM EDT
[#44]
A wolf man(full size) on an SP5  147g ammo. Sounds amazing. It sounds as if someone is just cycling the action to me, then hearing the bullet smack the target.

Link Posted: 8/12/2023 10:00:22 AM EDT
[#45]
Curtis Tactical ctk9s

https://www.uzitalk.com/forums/index.php?threads/curtis-tacticals-new-ct9ks-coaxial-suppressor.92307/page-2#post-838717
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top