Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » GSG-5
Posted: 12/28/2019 11:46:32 AM EDT
Hello Forum,
I am considering buying a MP40 and going the SBR route. I have watched a few YouTube videos about a few reliability issues, and I am wondering if there is a thread on this subject. I used this forum for my GSG MP5 clone, and after making the modifications I read about on this forum, my carbine runs! I am hoping to do the same with the MP40. Can someone please point me in the right direction? Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 8:13:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I don’t know of any other forum covering the ATI MP40 as much as here and this is the only place I’ve seen the SBR kit discussed.

I’ve only got about 250 rounds thru mine, mostly cheap Blazer brass 115 gr. but no problems, not even a misfeed.

The only issues I’ve read about are charging handles flying out under recoil, rear sights coming off, and loose screws on the body halves.

Mine has none of these other than a few of my body/receiver screws needed a bit more tightening but nothing working loose.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 9:06:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I have been watching some YouTube videos, they mention a few issues.

The spring that works the magazine release is weak. If you increase the strength of the spring, the mag locks tighter in the mag well, and this makes the pistol more reliable. No magazine cocking forward or backward while you hold the magazine while you shoot.

The spring that holds the cocking handle in the bolt is weak. There are a number of fixes, you just have to decide how you want to deal with this issue. Weld the cocking handle to the bolt, add washers, or get a new 1911 spring, and cut coils off until you are happy.

The screws for the rear sight can work loose. Locktite is the simple fix.

The trigger bar is to long. A few fixes, it really depends on how involved you are willing to go. Buy a new one, or add a spacer.

There may be more, I was hoping there was a page in the Armory for the MP40. A page that described all of the problems, and the fixes. I did go through my MP5 clone, and it is very reliable now. Same with my StG 44, a few issues, fixed, and now runs great.
Page Armory » GSG-5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top