Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/3/2021 2:29:52 PM EDT
I bought this York Sten MK2 last year and got a really good deal on it , it runs great but I felt it was just lacking, and as I am not a rich man I decided to look at options. I considered doing a stenchester or a stenling but decided I wanted to do a MKVI.

Edit : she’s done Jim

Here’s what I’m starting with , it’s an old pic before I replaced the front sight and refinished it.
Attachment Attached File

This is what I’m shooting for. The MK6 is a MK5 with a MK2 front sight and suppressor.
Attachment Attached File

Here is my donor MK5 trigger housing. I cleaned up one of the wings and removed excess remaining tube the other day, I haven’t had a chance to finish cleaning it up yet.
Attachment Attached File

Today I decided to work on getting the MK2 receiver from its lower. I’m only using files and no power tools for this. This took a few hours but I managed to get a lot done today. Slow and steady wins the race.
Attachment Attached File

I’m lucky York was such a shitty welder I was able to file it down and give it a good wack with a 14” bastard file and the weld broke in all the areas I was able to file on. Next I need to break out the saw to remove more of the lower so I can can get to the rest of the weld on the back.

Here is some parts for the suppressor , My form 1 should be back sometime next month and I’ll be able to get started, I’m basically doing the same suppressor build that one of our members did for his S&W76.  The suppressor is going to be 13 inches long so it is very close to the original length used in WW2.
Attachment Attached File

To be continued .........

Done minus the parkerize finish for the suppressor , that could be a while though , I posted a link to a video of it firing further down in the thread.

Here is the screen mesh packing for the expansion chamber. Attachment Attached File

The end cap
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Completed , painted and slightly used

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/3/2021 2:35:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I did almost the same thing. But bought new parts from IO. Mine was a post sample. I’ll try and dig up parts and post.

https://indianapolisordnance.com/parts/STEN-MK5-Parts?product_id=102
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 3:36:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I had a post sample MKII back in the 90's, ran great, I do like the looks of the MK V though. Looking forward to seeing it complete.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 6:29:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Made some progress today ,

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

All cleaned up

Attachment Attached File

Made a template to make my filler piece to weld up the safety notch
Attachment Attached File

I ran into an issue removing the receiver stub on the MK5 lower and might have ruined it. I might order a new one from Indianapolis ordinance
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 10:31:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Coming along nicely. More courage than me, lol. My York Sten will stay a MKII
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 10:46:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Why weld up the safety notch?

Just for authenticity? I'd leave it, the picture you posted above shows it in place
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 10:59:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why weld up the safety notch?

Just for authenticity? I'd leave it, the picture you posted above shows it in place
View Quote

The safety notch needs to be moved forward approximately 1.5 inches for the MK5 bolt. I also have to weld up the sear pocket and move it forward. If you look at the picture of the MK2 vs MK6 in my first post you can see the difference. You can make a MK5 bolt work with the MK2 safety location but it’s not correct.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 7:10:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Got it! Thanks for explanation
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 6:50:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Today’s progress , I had to mostly use hand files to get this to fit correct, took about 2 hours to make this piece. I made it out of a section of the de-milled MK5 receiver from the parts kit. Attachment Attached File

Now with a 45 degree bevel so she’s just about ready to weld in. Now to make the filler piece for the sear pocket
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/11/2021 11:12:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Small update , got my filler piece made to bring rear of the the sear pocket to 5” from rear of the tube. I might try and redo the cocking slot piece as I get better at this.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 2:01:43 PM EDT
[#10]
More confident in my skills I revisited the safety slot piece and made a new one.

Attachment Attached File

My friend made me a brass rod to go into the gun to use as a jig as I fit the parts. I found that the receiver is warped and not perfectly round in a few areas. I’m guessing this is from York doing a continuous weld all the way around the rear sight ring , the warping seems to be the rear 4 inches or so of the receiver.

Using the mag well I was able to compress the tube with the mandrel inside to see how it’s going to fit when welded.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 2:16:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Looking good there!!

What are you doing for the canvas jacket for the sound mod section?

IM me the plans and I'll make you one up f.o.c. - as I have a lot of Land Rover tonneau cover canvas plus numerous eyelets & eyelet fitting machines and gizmos
The canvas is modern but is an exact match to the WW2 US Abn rigger pouch canvas, so it looks the mutts nuts for any project of that period
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 12:07:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Here’s the cover I was looking at getting

It’s an outfit in England , have you heard of them ?

htc reproductions

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 12:26:47 PM EDT
[#13]

Heard of them? I know them.
Nigel does very very good work - and all that set for £25 is a brilliant buy.

Link Posted: 3/14/2021 8:43:35 PM EDT
[#14]
The suppressor wrap shown is excellent - adds a nice touch!
Link Posted: 3/14/2021 10:21:28 PM EDT
[#15]
I’m kind of at an halt for now , need my second MK5 kit to show up . The one I have the dust cover was torched and I’d like a set of wood with a  brass butplate
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 5:05:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Got my lower cleaned up

Attachment Attached File

Added the index notch to my receiver

Attachment Attached File

Just some minor fitting to do now , here she is mocked up.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 8:25:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Looks cool. You are doing a nice job.

Scott
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 10:44:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Very Nice.
What type of welder are you using?
Link Posted: 3/22/2021 10:47:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Very Nice.
What type of welder are you using?
View Quote

I’m sending it off for welding , I have a Lincoln arc welder but don’t think it would be appropriate for this job !
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 5:47:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 6:26:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Well
I'm stumped

Went upstairs to dig out my big reference book on the Sten - and there it wasn't
I'd have sworn there was a Collector Grade title on it..!
Maybe if Laidler hadn't been jailed there'd have been one....
Link Posted: 3/24/2021 7:17:40 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I’m of two minds on this one. Do you have someone with some talent put a slick TIG weld on there? Or do you go for the authentic-looking “welded in a bombed-out chicken coop” look?
View Quote

Andrewski is going to weld up the cocking slot and sear hole and he’s going to assemble . The tube is slightly warped so he’s the only one I trust to do it. The warp doesn’t effect anything but I did have to open up the sight ring a little larger so it laid in the front support wings correctly . I dropped my barrel off at a friends place and he’s going to port it for me. I don’t expect any real updates till I either finish the suppressor or I get the gun back from welding.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 9:42:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Well
I'm stumped

Went upstairs to dig out my big reference book on the Sten - and there it wasn't
I'd have sworn there was a Collector Grade title on it..!
Maybe if Laidler hadn't been jailed there'd have been one....
View Quote

@saddler

He had one on the sten. “ the sten machine carbine “ .
I never got a copy because they are out of print and cost around
600 dollars on the used market.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 12:07:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

@saddler

He had one on the sten. “ the sten machine carbine “ .
I never got a copy because they are out of print and cost around
600 dollars on the used market.
View Quote

Ah

I had a feeling he'd written one....and for some reason I thought I had a copy, as I tend to grab them when I see them, esp, if I know the author at the time
Some dealer in WA state is offering one for the bargain price of $2,060...!
Link Posted: 4/5/2021 9:01:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Today it was sent off to andrewski ! He’s going to fix everything up and reassemble . I have a friend that’s going to refinish it for me . He said it was a minor job and should only take a month or so to get back. Hopefully I’ll ha e the suppressor done when it comes back !
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 5:03:01 PM EDT
[#26]
John sent me these pics today , all back together! Just needs park and paint

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/13/2021 5:50:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Excellent
Link Posted: 4/14/2021 8:14:12 PM EDT
[#28]
Damn! That's fine work! His reputation is well deserved....
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 7:38:21 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Damn! That's fine work! His reputation is well deserved....
View Quote

+1  Agreed - that looks great.  Although I do love the comment someone above made about "Authentic welded in a bombed out chicken coup look" as Stens were not made to be pretty.  

Yours is however and looks great.  A nice project worth following!  BTW - What did the suppressor cover sot approx?  It looks so nice!
Link Posted: 4/17/2021 11:38:41 AM EDT
[#30]
I sent Nigel an email . He said it’s going to be around 35 usd or so and 15 or so to ship. He’s going to send me an invoice and that should have exact currency exchange rates.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 4:39:08 PM EDT
[#31]
@saddler

I got an update from Nigel last week telling me he was making the cover this week. I just got an invoice so it should get here in a few weeks. I should have the silencer unit put together by then and the gun back in my hands around the same time.
Link Posted: 4/23/2021 6:13:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
@saddler

I got an update from Nigel last week telling me he was making the cover this week. I just got an invoice so it should get here in a few weeks. I should have the silencer unit put together by then and the gun back in my hands around the same time.
View Quote

Good news!

It also reminds me that I need to chase him up for some webbing & rivets, as I was doing a trade with him for one of my repro M6 scabbards...!
His work is really good, so will be a positive addition to the build
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 10:32:48 AM EDT
[#33]
Suppressor progress is slow at this point , and the suppressor cover is in customs but John got her back to me last night. I couldn’t be happier with how she turned out. Still not done , but the gun half of the project is out together!

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/9/2021 5:46:39 PM EDT
[#34]
That turned out superb. Great functional piece of history there. Looking forward to seeing a video with the can at some point if that’s in the cards.
Link Posted: 5/12/2021 2:35:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Got my suppressor cover in from HT&C

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 6:32:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Small update , I should have my mount done soon , I’ve been working on the front cap to make it as close to the originals as possible . I had to buy a front cap from  sdta and modify it.

SDTA cap
Attachment Attached File

Modified
Attachment Attached File

Original
Attachment Attached File

Progress on the mount so far
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 7:13:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Very nice!  I'd love to just have a STEN Mk2, let alone a Mk6.
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 3:50:34 PM EDT
[#38]
Mount is machined , just need to get it right welded tomorrow !

Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 4:08:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Are you trying to replicate original suppressor internals, or going with something more modern/serviceable?
Link Posted: 7/21/2021 5:10:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Are you trying to replicate original suppressor internals, or going with something more modern/serviceable?
View Quote

The internals are going to be modern double clipped radials.
Link Posted: 7/24/2021 7:02:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Needs to be cleaned up but it’s one step closer. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/12/2021 2:44:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Got some white trash wide face cups for the guts.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/14/2021 4:00:47 AM EDT
[#43]
Suppressor is not done , still need to port the barrel and drill the end cap and baffles but she screws on so i decided to mock it up with the hand guard to see if everything looks correct. So far so good. The suppressor wrap is a dead ringer for the one in the photo in the original post. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/17/2021 9:37:35 AM EDT
[#44]
Looks Great, can't wait to see and hear it in action.
Please post a video with and w\o the suppressor.
Link Posted: 8/26/2021 11:34:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Looks amazing! I'd love to hear how she runs!
Link Posted: 8/27/2021 5:24:44 AM EDT
[#46]
Looking very good....so far
Link Posted: 10/31/2021 11:16:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Well today I finished the suppressor with the exception of parkerizing  it, I’m taking it to a local place to do the finish. I took it out and the S&B 124gr stayed sup sonic , no ringing in my ears and no muzzle blast that I could hear. I had a buddy shoot it and just 10 feet away it was more quiet than my Octane 45 on a Glock 19 or 9mm steyr aug. just need to get some packing material for the expansion chamber a d get it finished. I posted a video of it on the form1.org.

Link Posted: 11/1/2021 7:51:01 AM EDT
[#48]
Could you post a video here please?
The form1 page is not working for me.
I'm glad that you're happy with it.
Link Posted: 11/1/2021 8:50:56 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Could you post a video here please?
The form1 page is not working for me.
I'm glad that you're happy with it.
View Quote

Here , I made a YouTube , it’s crappy video , I had about 15 minutes of light left last night when I got a chance to test

Edit : I don’t know how to YouTube

It’s a short so it’s not posting like normal YouTube

Sten mk-vi

@saddler

You should show this to Nigel
Link Posted: 11/1/2021 6:33:03 PM EDT
[#50]
Nice!  Did you fold the magazine down once it was empty in the video?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top