Link Posted: 11/16/2022 2:48:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 3:50:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 4:41:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Extractor springs are the weak link in the system as they are too easily bent but.. I've run them for well over 500rds with no issue. That said, I always replace the copper-colored springs with the silver extractor (.40/10mm/Rifle) springs as they are (IMHO) far superior to the 9mm springs.  

My rule of thumb is to never remove the spring, i.e. for cleaning or otherwise without replacing it with a new one as you risk bending it. And once it loses that factory shape, 9 out of 10 times, it's toast. Sure you can tweak it and maybe get another couple hundred rounds out of it but that too can be a PITA.
View Quote

That is exactly what I saw in this video.

HK SP5 #1 Maintenance Item Must Know Don't be a Noob h&k heckler & koch mp5 sp5k
Link Posted: 11/16/2022 4:59:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Over 1k through my AP5 and 90% of it Tula with no issues yet.
Link Posted: 11/17/2022 7:12:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
How reliable are these proving to be? I read a lot about the extractor spring issue and you need to replace the spring every 500 rounds. Is that really the case?
View Quote

I'm at almost 9K rounds on my oldest (2015 Zenith Import) full sized MKE gun, and have yet to change the extractor spring ...... or anything else for that matter.

Maybe a total of 6-7 FTF's / FTE's .......all due to a single HK straight mag. They might look cool, but that's about it

I mostly shoot Winchester Q4318 or MEN 124gr out of mine ...... no issues with Fiocchi 9APE 158gr though
Link Posted: 11/17/2022 1:30:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
How reliable are these proving to be? I read a lot about the extractor spring issue and you need to replace the spring every 500 rounds. Is that really the case?
View Quote

My ptr 9ct came with proper copper colored extractor spring, it's been fine for 1k+ rds.  There was some reload ftf issues that surprisingly didn't Bork the spring.  My ap5-p came with a silver or black extractor spring, not sure if that color is relatable to anything.  I do have some of the 556 extractor springs for spares, as that appears to be the preferred fix, from what I've read, on mp5 extractor spring life.
Link Posted: 11/17/2022 11:06:11 PM EDT
[#7]
So i noticed a pitogram lower on hkparts today.
Usa made.

Anyone run one of those?

Looks like just the single one was in stock, so i nabbed it!
Link Posted: 11/17/2022 11:40:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Usa made.

Anyone run one of those?

View Quote
For an AP5?  Did you also get an ambi-trigger pack for it?
Link Posted: 11/18/2022 12:55:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
For an AP5?  Did you also get an ambi-trigger pack for it?
View Quote

Yup, Push pin lower for a full sized.
Has the pitogram markings for safe, semi, and full.

I have a ambi compatible trigger pack coming (franky), and the hkparts selector for an ambi lower to make it a nice little package.

I could have gotten the M for a little more, but i have needs.

179 for the lower, found the pack for $500, and i think the selector was $70.

Link Posted: 11/18/2022 10:18:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Adding in my experience with a new AP5-P.  It was cleaned and lubed very well before hitting the range, and I also dremeled out the brace so the hammer strut wasn't making contact.  Sighted in the Trijicon MRO and put 100 rounds of Blazer 115gr and had zero issues.  Magazines are all MKE.  This is my first roller delayed gun and I'm hooked, so much fun to shoot.

I just recently installed a used Navy SEF lower, which took a bit of filing to fit.  It looked brand new, but I have a feeling some of these used lowers just didn't pass QC.  There is an obvious inwards bow to the trigger box, which makes for a tight fit, and the pinholes needed a bit of filing as well.  After some patience and filing/fitting/more filing it all fits together nicely with zero play.  Once the Form 1 clears I'll install the forward grip and UMP B&T folder.
Link Posted: 11/18/2022 10:31:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Usa made.

Anyone run one of those?

View Quote

I have one coming Monday for use with my binary trigger pack.  I also ordered the ambi-levers from HK Parts.
Link Posted: 11/18/2022 11:44:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I just recently installed a used Navy SEF lower, which took a bit of filing to fit.  It looked brand new, but I have a feeling some of these used lowers just didn't pass QC.  There is an obvious inwards bow to the trigger box, which makes for a tight fit, and the pinholes needed a bit of filing as well.  After some patience and filing/fitting/more filing it all fits together nicely with zero play.  Once the Form 1 clears I'll install the forward grip and UMP B&T folder.
View Quote

The "navy" SEF trigger housings are all conversions made from HK91/G3 housings.  Since they sell various grades of used and new, I've assumed they are surplused from (possibly) German army inventory when they dropped the G3 rifle.  So some may have been in use on G3s and the new condition ones might have been new-old-stock that never got put into service.
Link Posted: 11/18/2022 1:06:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Adding in my experience with a new AP5-P.  It was cleaned and lubed very well before hitting the range, and I also dremeled out the brace so the hammer strut wasn't making contact.  Sighted in the Trijicon MRO and put 100 rounds of Blazer 115gr and had zero issues.  Magazines are all MKE.  This is my first roller delayed gun and I'm hooked, so much fun to shoot.

View Quote

I had some fitment issues with a sef navy lower on my ap5-p.

I'm curious what issues you had?

I found on mine, the rear lower hole in the oem grip and in the receiver was drilled too far out towards the back.

Brace fit loosely because of that, and it confused the heck out of me when i tried to install the new sef grip module.

Not too hard to fix, but i went really slow while removing metal.
The new grip module now helps to keep everything nice and tight.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 1:22:00 AM EDT
[#14]
I really think I need to get aboard this band wagon.. Ive always wanted a roller-lock and this just might scratch that itch.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 9:24:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I had some fitment issues with a sef navy lower on my ap5-p.

I'm curious what issues you had?

I found on mine, the rear lower hole in the oem grip and in the receiver was drilled too far out towards the back.

Brace fit loosely because of that, and it confused the heck out of me when i tried to install the new sef grip module.

Not too hard to fix, but i went really slow while removing metal.
The new grip module now helps to keep everything nice and tight.
View Quote

I had the same issue, although I had to remove material from the front and back holes.  Mine had to be filed towards the back in the rear holes, and towards the front in the front holes, effectively spacing them out a bit.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 8:27:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Yup, Push pin lower for a full sized.
Has the pitogram markings for safe, semi, and full.

I have a ambi compatible trigger pack coming (franky), and the hkparts selector for an ambi lower to make it a nice little package.

I could have gotten the M for a little more, but i have needs.

179 for the lower, found the pack for $500, and i think the selector was $70.

View Quote

I just got mine.  I had to open-up the front pin area a little with a file.

Link Posted: 11/20/2022 7:43:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Finally got around to shooting the AP5-P I bought from Atlantic Firearms. Fit and finish are very good. I'm impressed.  I had purchased a new end cap with a 1913 rail so I could mount a spare brace I had.  

Went shooting today and it ran flawlessly. Took it apart before hand and cleaned and lubed everything, so that may have helped.

No malfunctions of any kind. Mainly shot Sellier and Bellot 124 grain ammo. Also shot some CCI Blazer 115 grain and a few mags of my 147 grain subsonic handloads.  Gun ran all types of ammo with suppressor and without   Mags were mixture of MKE and HK factory mags. Didn't seem to make any difference what mags or ammo I used, it just ran like a raped ape, suppressed or not.  Put about 250 rounds through it.

Trigger actually wasn't bad at all. I think it's time to SBR it.

Thanks for all the advice about getting one of these. It's a blast!!!
Link Posted: 11/21/2022 10:47:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I just got mine.  I had to open-up the front pin area a little with a file.

https://i.imgur.com/S8uNT03.jpg
View Quote

Looks great!

And i received mine as well, same issue with the front pins.
Holes too small to pass the push pin through.

Some filing, and then polishing using dremel felt bits once close.
Now it fits real nice and snug.

I'm still waiting on the new trigger pack, however it looks great!
Link Posted: 11/21/2022 11:29:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Looks great!

And i received mine as well, same issue with the front pins.
Holes too small to pass the push pin through.

Some filing, and then polishing using dremel felt bits once close.
Now it fits real nice and snug.

I'm still waiting on the new trigger pack, however it looks great!
View Quote

I just dump 2 MKE mags through mine today with my reloads.  Mostly on Binary Mode & no issues.  It's a winner.
Link Posted: 11/22/2022 12:35:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I just dump 2 MKE mags through mine today with my reloads.  Mostly on Binary Mode & no issues.  It's a winner.
View Quote

Mine took some work, not a drop in exactly.
The molding in the lower allowed the pack to slide forwards and back, binding the hkp selector.

Then some light shimming was needed for the selectors to prevent them from wiping the pitograms off.

Looks great!
Proper looking mp5 navy now.
Link Posted: 11/22/2022 6:16:28 PM EDT
[#21]
My new AP5-P was a jam-o-matic. First couple mags were fine, then nothing but failure to eject/extract... every 4 to 6 rounds. Brass would get caught above the bolt and was a royal pain to dislodge. 3 makes of magazines, 6 types of ammo, new extractor spring... nothing helped.

Ordered and installed a new HK ejector lever and spring. Ran 90 rounds today with no problems. Hope it's a permanent fix, because its a fun little gun to shoot
Link Posted: 11/22/2022 8:39:10 PM EDT
[#22]
My last outing had some ejection issues.
The brass was going out and hitting the top of the ejection port.
Denting the brass and dinging up the finish.

Fed and extracted fine.
After 100 rounds i didn't have any more issues, so it might have been my fault for adding some slide glide to the ejector pivot...
Odd because both of them did it.

For good measure, i ordered two new german ejectors.

I also ran a mag of 147gr silver tip jhp through both the p and full size.

No issues there, both ran great using german mags.

Link Posted: 11/23/2022 10:16:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Took my AP5-P out for second time today. This time we only ran 147 gr subsonic reloads, both suppressed and not. Just like first outing it ran flawless.  Fired about 200 rounds today. Thing is a blast to shoot!!!

Time to SBR it and figure out a stock and optic
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 12:25:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Broke my AP5P in this weekend.  Ran flawless with 115, 124, and 147 flat tip with HK and MKE mag.  Accuracy is very good.  At an inch at 25yds without much effort.  Noticeable shift when suppressed. Target dot is 1” and zeroed with can. With can off it shifted down to the left.

Second day I ran it all suppressed and had 1 FTE with 115g which I attribute to being dirty and the lower recoil bullet (over 300rds fired).

I did notice a burr on the ejector which was marking up the brass. I stoned it smooth and no more issues. Noted same burr on my spare ejector which was also easily fixed.

Very happy with the purchase.Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 9:52:42 PM EDT
[#25]
My AP5 has been great. The only ammo it doesn’t like is CCI aluminum. Seems to be common though.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 4:33:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
My AP5 has been great. The only ammo it doesn’t like is CCI aluminum. Seems to be common though.
View Quote

Same here, stopped buying it. Only using it for handguns now.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 5:39:58 PM EDT
[#27]
A fluted chamber won't work with aluminum cased ammo, fyi
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 3:43:34 PM EDT
[#28]
New AP5-p bought over black Friday weekend from Atlantic.  1225 shipped with brace

External fit and finish is awesome.  Bolt face rough looking machining.  Bolt carrier has one spot of overweld that is not pretty but looks fine and not in a wear area.  Ejector lever has a nick it it I cleaned up.  Will prob replace one day.

Prior to shooting-

1. did sb brace mod.
2. Manually cycled the gun maybe 200 times
3. Field stripped gun and sprayed everything with brake cleaner and wiped all internals down.  Small metal shavings on rag.
4. Lightly stoned a few tiny burrs
5. Layer of pfte dry lube and then clp.
6. Reassembled.

Given the gunk when cleaning I would def reccomend cycling and then cleaning prior to shooting-.  I can see how not doing that might be problematic.

Shot a mix of s&b 124s, reload 115s, and some 147 rns.   About 130 rounds.  All using mke mags. Zero malfunctions.

Gun was dead on out of the box, no adj needed

Ordered a sight rail, timney trigger and a Midwest rail.  Will sbr asap if it runs this well for another outing or two.  Recoil is smooth and predictable compare to my ar9.  Yhm r9 is still in jail.
Link Posted: 12/7/2022 8:39:46 PM EDT
[#30]
5000 through my ap5-p,  replced the extractor and spring with a german one day one...zero issues except for one kci mag.  I thre it away and no issues since
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 12:25:35 PM EDT
[#31]

Does PSA really take 7-10 business days to ship firearms? This is my first time ordering a complete firearm from them.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 12:34:32 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Does PSA really take 7-10 business days to ship firearms? This is my first time ordering a complete firearm from them.
View Quote
My recent couple orders for firearms earlier this year it was about 3-4 days to ship.  But right now with the black friday sale influx still backlogged and the prioritizing orders going to OR due to the new law, I wouldn't be surprised if lead times are longer at the moment.
Link Posted: 12/8/2022 1:25:06 PM EDT
[#33]
Has anyone here used the Magpul 50rd drum on their AP5? I've used their D50 or glocks and it's worked flawlessly.
Link Posted: 12/9/2022 11:38:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Well i saw some hk mag catches in stock.
I hadn't really had an issue, but i did have some mag slop.

Well today i installed them in both ap5s.

Wow, what a difference!

My full sized ap5 has nearly 0 mag slop now
And it really tightened up the P model, but not as well as the full-sized one.

I also swapped out the paddles for the 'roller' version while i was in there.

Super slick now, I'm pleased with the result.
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 12:41:35 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
I asked in the PSA industry forum about that. They got slammed by Black Friday and the Oregon law. I ordered on the 21st, shipped on Wednesday and arrived at my FFL yesterday.
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 1:01:27 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I asked in the PSA industry forum about that. They got slammed by Black Friday and the Oregon law. I ordered on the 21st, shipped on Wednesday and arrived at my FFL yesterday.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah, that makes sense. Hopefully I get mine by Christmas.
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 12:26:54 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have notices PSA's in house guns/lowers ship MUCH faster than 3rd party guns. I ordered 2 Dagger frames and had shipping info in less than 24 hours. Meanwhile my AP5 is still "processing" status after 4 days. Same FFL, same payment method, same everything else.
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 2:00:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Well i saw some hk mag catches in stock.
I hadn't really had an issue, but i did have some mag slop.

Well today i installed them in both ap5s.

Wow, what a difference!

My full sized ap5 has nearly 0 mag slop now
And it really tightened up the P model, but not as well as the full-sized one.

I also swapped out the paddles for the 'roller' version while i was in there.

Super slick now, I'm pleased with the result.
View Quote

What parts did you order?
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 4:15:40 PM EDT
[#39]
I have an M version coming from PSA; could not pass on the $900 price.  I have the full size and K / P from when Zenith was importing them, and the K is one of my favorites.  Both are SBRs; I may leave the M as a pistol and single point sling it.
Link Posted: 12/10/2022 4:26:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

What parts did you order?
View Quote

These,
https://hkparts.net/product/magazine-catch-mp5-mp5k-sp5k-latest-style-german-p911.htm
https://hkparts.net/product/mp5-mp5k-anti-rattle-roller-tipped-paddle-magazine-usa-p17570.htm

For the paddle, I went with the USA made one due to the price.
It seems fine, but they do have the German made one available.

I would also recommend getting this.
https://hkparts.net/product/mp5-mp5k-9mm-contact-piece-for-paddle-mag-release-german-p118.htm

That roller tipped paddle really highlighted the imperfections in the MKE contact piece.
I worked the MKE contact piece with a file, sanded smooth, then polished it with a felt bit and compound, but I'll say that the MKE contact piece is very hard and took some work to smooth out.
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 4:02:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Just adding my range reports, with a little detail.   It's a Century MKE AP5M.

Range trip 1, took 5 magazines filled with Magtech 115 gr 9mm.   One or two failures to eject from each magazine.

Took it home, cleaned it pretty completely.

Range trip 2, same 5 magazines, same Magtech 115gr.  First three mags had failures to eject.  Last two mags were fine.

Range trip 3, 3 magazines of SAR 124gr 9mm NATO.   Ran perfectly.

Range trip 4, 3 magazines of the SAR 124gr NATO, ran perfectly.

So, I ordered a case of the SAR 9mm from Osage County Guns.

Further notes:  Each range trip included HK, MKE and POF mags.
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 4:40:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

These,
https://hkparts.net/product/magazine-catch-mp5-mp5k-sp5k-latest-style-german-p911.htm
https://hkparts.net/product/mp5-mp5k-anti-rattle-roller-tipped-paddle-magazine-usa-p17570.htm

For the paddle, I went with the USA made one due to the price.
It seems fine, but they do have the German made one available.

I would also recommend getting this.
https://hkparts.net/product/mp5-mp5k-9mm-contact-piece-for-paddle-mag-release-german-p118.htm

That roller tipped paddle really highlighted the imperfections in the MKE contact piece.
I worked the MKE contact piece with a file, sanded smooth, then polished it with a felt bit and compound, but I'll say that the MKE contact piece is very hard and took some work to smooth out.
View Quote

Thank you for the list of parts!  Are these relatively straight forward to swap out?
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 4:50:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Update to this, I got a tracking number yesterday and it's on the way to my FFL this morning.

5 business days, 9 days total from ordered to shipped.
Link Posted: 12/12/2022 10:48:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Thank you for the list of parts!  Are these relatively straight forward to swap out?
View Quote

Roll pins!
If you remove the paddle, it's really easy.

The paddle is a cylinder, that goes in and out from one side.
Note the little "^" to prevent it from walking.

I have a cheap gunsmithing roll pin tool set that i got from amazon.

Once you have the paddle out, you have easy access to the rest.
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 6:01:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Roll pins!
If you remove the paddle, it's really easy.

The paddle is a cylinder, that goes in and out from one side.
Note the little "^" to prevent it from walking.

I have a cheap gunsmithing roll pin tool set that i got from amazon.

Once you have the paddle out, you have easy access to the rest.
View Quote

Welp, I have looked at as much as I can, and I cannot figure out how I'd remove that bushing to get the paddle out.  I'd also be concerned damaging it, but maybe thats not a concern.
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 8:05:27 PM EDT
[#46]
Happy to be able to post my range report.  Was able to get my new AP5 out today for the first time.  I’m happy to report it ran great.  I brought 500 rounds with me, I wanted to ensure it functioned without issue since I am planning on submitting a form 1.  It went through the 500 rounds with two failures, both were failure to feed.  

Ammo selection consisted of:
50 rounds of Winchester NATO, zero issues
100 rounds of Fiocchi 124gr, zero issues
50 rounds of Fiocchi 147gr, zero issues
50 rounds of Fiochi 158gr, 1 fail to feed
100 rounds of Fiocchi 115gr, zero issues
150 rounds of Blazer Brass 124gr, 1 fail to feed

Mags used were three MKE, two KCI 20 rounders, and one ETS 30 rounder.  All worked great, especially the ETS which definitely surprised me.  

The 158gr was purchased on accident, it must have been mixed in with the 147gr on the shelf which is what I mean to buy.  Not sure what happened with the one issue with the Blazer Brass.  

Overall though I’m very happy with the performance.  This is my first experience with the MP5 platform, I’ve read it shoots smooth but I guess you really have to experience it to truly appreciate it.
Link Posted: 12/16/2022 10:19:55 PM EDT
[#47]
I took my AP5 out for the first time for a functions check before I file the form 1 and start adding accessories. It ran like a sewing machine with all three MKE mags I have. I shot 150 rounds of 124 grain Belom round-nosed FMJ and 50 rounds of 147 grain American Eagle flat-nosed FMJ. The gun had three failure to feeds, all three were the first round of a fully loaded magazine following a charging handle slap. The first was with the Belom and the other two were both with the American Eagle. Half the ammo was shot suppressed.

I was a little surprised the flat-nosed American Eagle was largely problem free. I had read mixed reports that the AP5 doesn't feed anything but round-nosed FMJ well especially with MKE mags. The two FTFs were an example of this, but once loaded the gun fed the other 29 rounds flawlessly.

Now to file the form 1 and modernize the gun. It needs a collapsing stock, a light, and an optic.
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 4:59:00 PM EDT
[#48]
I was having FTE issues with my K. I ordered some HK replacement parts but decided to give it one more go. First mag, 3 failures to eject. Put my suppressor on and ran a mag, no problems. Did another. Then took the can off and shot several mags with no issues. I guess the increased pressures with the suppressor helped break everything in more.
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 11:13:36 PM EDT
[#49]
I have my AP5 set up the way I want until it gets SBR'd... once Snowpocalyps is over I'll get it to the range.

Is Blazer 124g hot enough for break-in?
Link Posted: 12/22/2022 11:26:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I have my AP5 set up the way I want until it gets SBR'd... once Snowpocalyps is over I'll get it to the range.

Is Blazer 124g hot enough for break-in?
View Quote

I ran 115 Blazer on mine and it was fine.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top