Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/27/2020 2:58:25 AM EDT
I'm looking for a 308 bullpup, I remember being big into the MDR years ago before the release. I had even considered preordering way back then but the years long wait for release and early issues made me glad I didn't. I've been seriously looking into the Tavor 7 recently, but the accuracy is a bit less than I'd prefer to be completely honest. My use will be mainly deer hunting in the 100-200 yard range where even the 2-3 MOA of the Tavor wouldn't be a huge issue but still the, now revised, MDR keeps popping up as an alternative. Would it be worth the extra couple hundred to go with the MDR, or do I just pull the trigger on the Tavor?
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 7:26:39 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd get the tavor 7. Thats what I got. I wouldnt get an MDR unless it was free.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 11:03:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Had a mdr and that was not a reliable firearm. After the upgrades it went well but the weak polymer was a concern the mdrx with changes to gas system and new polymer has had zero issues so far and the new Comp actually works very well. Pretty happy with it. I like my Tavors a lot too but I don’t have a 7 and in 556 I prefer the aug and mdrx. Mdr was 308 and the mdrx is 556 but I plan to get the 6.5 conversion for hunting this year. Original mdr after conversions from DT has maybe another 600 rounds with zero issues and the mdrx has just over 1k without any issues. Both have had issues but honestly both companies have been very solid with their warranties. My x95 and mdr both were repaired in 2019 and no issue with either company.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 11:36:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 1:13:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm leaning toward the T7 myself. I got wrapped up in the whining about the twist rate until my ffl explained to me that I'm too cheap to buy pricey bullets to load in 308 so the 3-5000 147 projos I have will shoot just fine out of the T7.

I'd like to hold out for a solid OD model. That's the color of the old army men I played with when I was a kid, right? Kind of a dark green?
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 5:01:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Handle both before you buy.  Make sure that it is comfortable for you, not for someone on the internet, but you.  I've handled the T7 and found that it felt like I was shouldering a 2x6 plank and that pretty much dissipated any interested I had (that and the fact that the IWI team at GAOS were more interested in talking to each other than actually talking to people interested in their products).  For me, the MDR felt better in the hands.

YMMV.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 9:45:18 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm well aware of all the production delays and initial release issues the MDR had. Both turned me off. Not to mention the non-traditional ejection port which prevented chamber checks. Desert tech has supposedly fixed all the bugs and now even offers a side eject model, but I was tuned on to the Tavor 7 upon hearing about its release. After release, and after watching 2-3 video reviews, I was sold. I decided on the OD Green model, waited 6 months (WTF), got it, shot it, and I am happy with no regrets. Once I get a correct muzzle device, I will mount my OSS 762 on it. I havn't done any real accuracy testing yet, but reviews deem it a 1.5 MOA rifle with match ammo, and a 2 - 2.5 MOA rifle with NATO ammo, which is good for me. I'll never shoot it beyond 500m and 90% of my shooting will be inside of 300m which is where I think it will shine.

After shooing my T7 for the first time last weekend, the trigger was better-than-expected, it had the recoil of an AK-47, and balanced the weight well for a 9 lb. rifle while doing moving drills. For what it's worth, I've heard the MDR .308 recoil is a little stout even with a brake, but I'm sure someone who owns one can confirm/deny that. I also prefer the angled handguard of the Tavor 7, as its more ergonomic. This is one of two featured that I turned me off of the X95. I'm not hating on the MDR, its just not for me at this time. If I ever pick one up, it will be a while. But what I think, and what everyone else thinks it irrelevant. Buy what you like.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 11:38:07 PM EDT
[#7]
There's also the Kel Tec RFB, if "308 Bullpup" is the only criteria.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 12:30:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Also K&M Arms M17S .308
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 12:42:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 8:15:29 PM EDT
[#10]
I have trigger time behind both...

Hate the MDR in .308 ... it is decent in 5.56 (but it is not better than my Tavor SAR)

To me the MDR in .308 is unbearable to shoot its snappy and has the oddest recoil feeling of any semi I have shot.

Tavor 7 was softer to shot in .308 (like an overgassed AK 7.62 Soviet) vs the MDR ... it returned 1.5 - 5 shot group with XM80 and 2.2 MOA with L2A2 ... I have a write up somewhere around here.

Tavor is def built more rugged...MDR feels like a toy...

That said...I didn't keep the Tavor...after shooting a POF AR10 side by side with it...the AR10 was just a lot smoother to run...I won't run an gun a .308 gun...so sold it and building a POF 16" suppressed DMR...
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 8:19:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Get the Tavor. I got one and love it. Favorite bullpup rifle now.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 10:23:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Tim at Military Arms Channel made a similar statement in a review. I have never handled an MDR.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 12:00:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Have a mdrx now and Tavor/x95, neither feels like a toy, both feel solid. That statement doesn’t make sense to me, both are heavy, both have little to no rattle. The only gun I felt was like a toy was a polymer ar15 from robar and that was just due to how light it was. To me is comes down to which is going to be more reliable. I’ve sent my x95 and original mdr in for repair so far. I’m gonna keep shooting to see if the mdrx and x95 hold up but so far so good. All that said the aug is still the HD gun. Need more rounds on the rest before that consideration if ever comes.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 2:31:57 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Handle both before you buy.  Make sure that it is comfortable for you, not for someone on the internet, but you.  I've handled the T7 and found that it felt like I was shouldering a 2x6 plank and that pretty much dissipated any interested I had (that and the fact that the IWI team at GAOS were more interested in talking to each other than actually talking to people interested in their products).  For me, the MDR felt better in the hands.

YMMV.
View Quote

My issue there is availability of either at any local dealers. I'm in a small town in Wisconsin, there aren't any big gun shops near me
Quoted:
There's also the Kel Tec RFB, if "308 Bullpup" is the only criteria.
View Quote

Those seem a little too finicky for my tastes

Quoted:
Also K&M Arms M17S .308
View Quote

I'm a lefty or that would be a contender
Quoted:
I backed out of the MDR preorder when I got a bad feeling about it. My instincts were very much spot on.

I appreciate that deserttech is trying to do things right now ( yay they dropped the price to the original MSRP from years ago that they jacked up $400 or whatever much).

But I love my tavor 7 in FDE.

I also have not done accuracy testing just function testing (worked flawlessly with and without suppressor).

I look forward to putting it through it’s paces.
View Quote

That price hike was a big red flag for me. The initial price looked like a bargain
Quoted:
I have trigger time behind both...

Hate the MDR in .308 ... it is decent in 5.56 (but it is not better than my Tavor SAR)

To me the MDR in .308 is unbearable to shoot its snappy and has the oddest recoil feeling of any semi I have shot.

Tavor 7 was softer to shot in .308 (like an overgassed AK 7.62 Soviet) vs the MDR ... it returned 1.5 - 5 shot group with XM80 and 2.2 MOA with L2A2 ... I have a write up somewhere around here.

That said...I didn't keep the Tavor...after shooting a POF AR10 side by side with it...the AR10 was just a lot smoother to run...I won't run an gun a .308 gun...so sold it and building a POF 16" suppressed DMR...
View Quote

I have a PWS AR10 that's smooth as butter, I'm going in expecting less than that. Just looking for something different
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 11:37:02 AM EDT
[#15]
So here is a real question...

What are you wanting this for? If HD or battle rifle...are you also ready to invest in a different chest rig to carry SR25 pattern mags?

Honestly, from my experience...just keep your PWS...upgrade it slightly...and get a nice optic on it...

I gave up on .308 bullpups...it is just too much compared to a smooth AR10...
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 8:46:46 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By thehun06:
So here is a real question...

What are you wanting this for? If HD or battle rifle...are you also ready to invest in a different chest rig to carry SR25 pattern mags?

Honestly, from my experience...just keep your PWS...upgrade it slightly...and get a nice optic on it...

I gave up on .308 bullpups...it is just too much compared to a smooth AR10...
View Quote

I'm keeping the PWS regardless. That thing is one of my favorite rifles.

It's really just going to be a unique hunting rifle.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 8:56:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Turbofox:

I'm keeping the PWS regardless. That thing is one of my favorite rifles. 

It's really just going to be a unique hunting rifle.
View Quote

My vote is either mdr for the 308 or 6.5 / other calibers. Or Tavor for price unless mdr goes on sale like Black Friday where it was in the same range as Tavor 7.
Link Posted: 5/4/2020 11:55:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Kwisak:

My vote is either mdr for the 308 or 6.5 / other calibers. Or Tavor for price unless mdr goes on sale like Black Friday where it was in the same range as Tavor 7.
View Quote

I got the FE MDR 308 for 1,800 which to my knowledge is cheaper than the T7.
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 10:35:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Turbofox:

I'm keeping the PWS regardless. That thing is one of my favorite rifles. 

It's really just going to be a unique hunting rifle.
View Quote

If you are wanting a hunting bullpup to shoot hunting ammo...get the MDR...it is better suited for that...hands down...you have barrel exchanges already (although pricey but available).

Tavor 7 is not going to excel in hunting as the MDR would...but will spank it in reliability when it matters while shooting NATO ball ammo better and more consistently than the MDR...

Tactical/Practical= T7
Hunting/Range Rifle= MDR
Link Posted: 5/5/2020 10:50:39 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By ahrion:

I got the FE MDR 308 for 1,800 which to my knowledge is cheaper than the T7.
View Quote

T7s are as low as 1700 right now but the mdr was around there on Black Friday and if they do a side eject the price would be lower.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top